Class of 2021 - QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2021 QB Carlos Del Rio Wilson (GA) Transferring from Florida to Syracuse

Status
Not open for further replies.
He's just a true freshman. Very promising.
Redshirt at Florida last season. Eligibility clock starts this season as a redshirt freshman, 4 years eligibility left.

Yep

I’m sure he was told he would have an open completion and chance to compete for QB.

I’m equally as sure that once he sees he’s not QB1, or maybe even QB2, then he’s gonna want to make a position switch so he can get on the field.

FBP “Football Player” and/or TE makes a lot of sense.

Also - Cuse has a long and storied history of guys switching positions in college, and having it work out pretty well for them:
Czonka
Art Monk
Kevin Johnson
Derrell Smith
Doug Hogue

and many others I’m sure I’m forgetting.

I’m sure he was told he would have an open completion and chance to compete for QB.

I’m equally as sure that once he sees he’s not QB1, or maybe even QB2, then he’s gonna want to make a position switch so he can get on the field.

Also - Cuse has a long and storied history of guys switching positions in college, and having it work out pretty well for them:
Czonka
Art Monk
Kevin Johnson
Derrell Smith
Doug Hogue

Good list. Add Tebucky Jones. Joe Fields, too.
(where did Csonka begin?)

Czonka
Art Monk
Kevin Johnson
Derrell Smith
Doug Hogue

A couple that come to mind are Jason Poles (came in as a QB in the McNabb/Kevin Johnson era) and Tebucky Jones (was a WR in HS, if I correctly recall). Both ended up having nice NFL careers.

Edit: I'm reminded that he played RB his first 3 seasons at SU.

Last edited:

Czonka
Art Monk
Kevin Johnson
Derrell Smith
Doug Hogue

Dee Brown

Carlos has been good for a long time. There is an All American game for kids entering HS (coming out of 8th grade). He made the game and was named MVP. Think this was his first national notoriety.

Here is an early interview with him after that game. Remember he was only in 8th grade. They show some highlights and get some comments from him on them.

Carlos has been good for a long time. There is an All American game for kids entering HS (coming out of 8th grade). He made the game and was named MVP. Think this was his first national notoriety.

Here is an early interview with him after that game. Remember he was only in 8th grade. They show some highlights and get some comments from him on them.

Big hands for an eighth grader!

Redshirt at Florida last season. Eligibility clock starts this season as a redshirt freshman, 4 years eligibility left.

He was a true freshman playing in their spring game. now he’s a redshirt freshman.

Shrader may have worked on his skill set throughout the offseason and could start over this guy. I am also excited about our future but let’s wait to see how things workout.
I'm bullish on Shrader. I think with proper coaching and hard work he can be a Josh Allen type. He can certainly run and he has a strong arm and when his mechanics are right, he throws an accurate ball. He just could not replicate the proper mechanics consistently last year. Get the footwork down and the right arm slot and everything else will look a lot better.
A lot of our great QBs had throwing deficiencies of some sort that they had to overcome.

I'm bullish on Shrader. I think with proper coaching and hard work he can be a Josh Allen type. He can certainly run and he has a strong arm and when his mechanics are right, he throws an accurate ball. He just could not replicate the proper mechanics consistently last year. Get the footwork down and the right arm slot and everything else will look a lot better.
A lot of our great QBs had throwing deficiencies of some sort that they had to overcome.
Another thing to consider is the new offense, last season our route combinations looked like they were drawn up with a stick in sand. Our new offense should be a lot more efficient in that regard and should allow for Garrett to get some easy completions and get in rhythm on top of Beck coaching him up. Really think he could take a big leap.

Another thing to consider is the new offense, last season our route combinations looked like they were drawn up with a stick in sand. Our new offense should be a lot more efficient in that regard and should allow for Garrett to get some easy completions and get in rhythm on top of Beck coaching him up. Really think he could take a big leap.
Agreed. Last year was the go get open playbook.

Yup. Good pass concepts with easy reads.

He’s going to have every opportunity to improve upon last season. His biggest issue was consistency in all throws. The legs and the grit/determination are there. If he can get consistent in his passing ability he will be a major challenge every week for ACC defenses.

He’s going to have every opportunity to improve upon last season. His biggest issue was consistency in all throws. The legs and the grit/determination are there. If he can get consistent in his passing ability he will be a major challenge every week for ACC defenses.
I really hope he makes a leap in throwing the ball this year. I’m very excited about his potential simply put.

This is where I really think Coach Beck pays off. He gets the whole offseason and camp to work with Garrett. I think it'll be night and day between last season and this one for him.

This is where I really think Coach Beck pays off. He gets the whole offseason and camp to work with Garrett. I think it'll be night and day between last season and this one for him.
Just an observation with no inside knowledge; apparently the staff saw enough from GS this spring to be impressed. Enough so, that they chose to sit him and S. Tucker out of the Spring Game.

It will be night and day difference because Gilbert is no longer with SU. One of the worse OC is SU history.
I don’t think this can be stated enough. Idk how many times I’ve seen the starting qb and rb on any team openly call out the OC in post game pressers. But last it it happened a lot! Not too mention Dino biting his tongue and taking a beating in the press for Gilbert not getting plays in.

Status
Not open for further replies.