Class of 2025 - QB Joe Filardi (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/23/24) | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2025 QB Joe Filardi (NY) COMMITTED TO SYRACUSE (4/23/24)

Miami used to circumvent the 85 player scholarship limit by putting some of their WR's and DB's on track scholarships. They would play FB and Spring FB, and run a few track meets in between seasons.

The NCAA put a stop to it years ago.

15.5.9 Multisport Participants.
15.5.9.1 Football. [FBS/FCS]
In football, a counter who was recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who participates (practices or competes) in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football. A counter who was not recruited (per Bylaw 15.02.9) and/or offered financial aid to participate in football and who competes in football and one or more sports (including basketball) shall be counted in football.
Can a player be offered non-scholarship financial aid for Football and then additional financial aid for Lacrosse (or any combination of revenue + non-revenue sport) while still being a PWO?

Essentially is there wiggle room to provide a level of aid commensurate with being a “double PWO” while remaining under the threshold of scholarship aid?

I’m assuming this by-law is pretty air tight and PWO and Scholarship aid thresholds are clearly defined and black and white.

Since it's both football & lacrosse...
boom smile GIF

Denzel Washington Love GIF

Can a player be offered non-scholarship financial aid for Football and then additional financial aid for Lacrosse (or any combination of revenue + non-revenue sport) while still being a PWO?

Essentially is there wiggle room to provide a level of aid commensurate with being a “double PWO” while remaining under the threshold of scholarship aid?

I’m assuming this by-law is pretty air tight and PWO and Scholarship aid thresholds are clearly defined and black and white.

Since he's a 2025, I've got a whole year to figure out which spreadsheet to put him on.

I have a guy I can call tomorrow, but he's been out of the loop for a while, so he might not even know the latest rules.

Filardi can just make a few Nye Automotive commercials.

Awesome! This kid looks great. Uber athletic in everything he does. Every single motion of every play appears to come natural to him. Think he can compete with our higher profile QB’s we are bringing in aka Jakhari and Carney. But even if he doesn’t win the starting spot, the great thing about this kid is he will at the very least help provide very solid depth and we likely don’t need to worry about him portaging away from SU.

Last edited:
Awesome! This kid looks great. Uber athletic in everything he does. Every single motion of every play appears to come natural to him. Think he can compete with our higher profile QB’s we are bringing in aka Jakhari and Carney. But even if he doesn’t win the starting spot, the great thing about this kid is he will at the very least help provide very solid depth and we likely don’t need to worry about him portaging away from SU.
If Carney can continue like his previous highlights he just might be our next QB. I checked out his highlights again and he just confirms it. He can make every throw with ease and plenty of arm strength. NOW if we get the 4* kid from Maryland, Malik Washington who I think has his OV in June, we just may have a good competition .

Last edited:

I don’t think it can be termed for a sport, but sure he can should be able to get financial aid if he qualifies or merit or some “random” scholarship.

I'm well aware of Filardi from his lax exploits. Fball wise he blew up this last fall and is starting to garner major interest around the country. Keep an eye on this kid....

Also kudos to Coach Brown for getting ahead of the other major D1 schools on Filardi and also doing the lax program a major solid. He's a 5 star lax guy and one of the top lax players in the nation.

I'm well aware of Filardi from his lax exploits. Fball wise he blew up this last fall and is starting to garner major interest around the country. Keep an eye on this kid...

Also kudos to Coach Brown for getting ahead of the other major D1 schools on Filardi and also doing the lax program a major solid. He's a 5 star lax guy and one of the top lax players in the nation.
I just checked him out. wow!!! what an amazing athlete. This kid has it all. He obviously can make more money long term on the football field. I can see him starting in a few years after our stud frosh goes pro.

He sure did, for two seasons including the 96 finals run.

Correct, but I think he was considered a walk-on for basketball. His scholarship was clearly declared/assigned for football.

I was hoping this would happen.

I think he is the best football player in the state. He has a strong arm. He can make though hard throws over the middle, throw on the run, even in the opposite direction he is moving, he is great at leading receivers on fly routes, you name it, he can throw it. And he is filthy good at running, where he breaks ankles and makes everyone else look like they are in junior high.

He is also the best lacrosse player in the state. And probably the best in the state at ping pong, break dancing, Rubik’s Cube and mahjong.

Just look at his junior highlights. And look at the numbers he put up. He is a real life cheat code.

No idea if it is possible to play both sports at a high level successfully. Not sure anyone has ever done it. Other than Jim Brown.

If anyone can do it in the modern era, it is this guy.

So he is the QB version of Jim Brown and we should be prepared to retire both of his jersey’s after he leaves SU? Because that is how I choose to interpret this post! I am here for it!