Class of 2014 - QB John O'Korn (FL) to Michigan | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2014 QB John O'Korn (FL) to Michigan

It's either that Michigan wanted to wait to see who they were able to flip and do a numbers count before they took O'Korn or they wanted to get their current class of QB's signed before rocking the boat with another guy who will be competing with them in a year. Either way, him announcing today is no coincidence.

My understanding thru the grapevine is that this was all known last week by all sides. Take it with a grain of salt.

He's going to start after he sits out? You already know that? Against a QB that has already been starting for the team or one of the other 3 that has already been in the program playing for a year (none of them are seniors)?

Again, I think it's a pretty big leap to say that O'Korn didn't announce until today so that he wouldn't scare off another QB to compete against.

And do you really think Harbaugh told O'Korn "hey, can you not commit til after NSD so we can make sure we also get Gentry?" And that O'Korn would just say ok to this and commit anyway?

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

And yes.

I know you're a Michigan dude, but c'mon.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

And yes.

Everyone I've asked that knows about these things has said it's been known by everyone involved since last week. I had no idea about it, and hadn't followed anything about O'Korn outside of the SU angle, so like said above, take it with a grain of salt. But they all seem 100% certain that everyone knew on the 25th and this has been the understanding since.

Another QB transferring. Not sure if there are any SU connections, though.

http://www.cbssports.com/collegefoo.../reports-illinois-qb-aaron-bailey-to-transfer

I know I posted this somewhere else, but I don't see us going after anyone else. From everything I heard the reports of us going after O'Korn and O'Conner were severely blown out of proportion. Apparently the reason we weren't really interested is because they would have to sit out a season, and we weren't interested in that. To me that makes absolute no sense since you figure Hunt is the QB this year, and then next year we have Long, and Dungey. Not sure about anyone else, but that really doesn't inspire confidence.

Maybe the coaches like Brown and Haskins more and feel we have a good chance with them.

It is not all that easy to be confident in the staff's evaluation of the qb position.

Well it's not what you or I think but rather what this staff feels their needs are regarding recruiting.

Dungey was picked by ESPN as our number 1 recruit. Based on his tape he seems to have all of the tools. O'Korn if he can get his mojo back is exceptional. Kid has a rifle. AJ is a player for sure but he just doesnt have the size, or arm strenght to compete with these guys in my opinion. Now if he gets stronger who knows as he is a warrior and looking back at this year to judge him isnt fair at all. Bottom line is that we would have three solid guys competing which is a good thing
I fear that AJ may just be a D2 QB.

That's a little premature. He's played like 6 games and is a rising sophomore.
I say that based on those six games. He got worse the more he played. I know he got knocked up a bit, but durability may be one of his problems. He also does not have the arm strength. He has spunk and I like his intangibles a lot but I don't know if those will make up for his physical limitations. He would be dynamite a division lower that is for sure.

Hey, I hope I am all wet about this. I understand he put on a few pounds so maybe he will be a bit more durable. If Lester throws less maybe...

I say that based on those six games. He got worse the more he played. I know he got knocked up a bit, but durability may be one of his problems. He also does not have the arm strength. He has spunk and I like his intangibles a lot but I don't know if those will make up for his physical limitations. He would be dynamite a division lower that is for sure.

Hey, I hope I am all wet about this. I understand he put on a few pounds so maybe he will be a bit more durable. If Lester throws less maybe...

People got tape on him so defenses were able to adjust, that's fairly common. That's what happened to O'Korn at Houston. People watched his tape and figured him out. Now O'Korn, like AJ, need to continue to improve and evolve as a passer to see how the defense has changed and where the new weaknesses lie. I agree he is small but that was no secret when we, and others, recruited him.

AJ has potential but it's going to take a lot of hard work and he seems to have the drive. It's not easy for quarterbacks to adjust to college game, as freshman, and have sustained success. I just think it is way too early to write him off. He may never start another game here or he may go on to be a 2 year starter at quarterback. I don't know.

Crusty said:
I say that based on those six games. He got worse the more he played. I know he got knocked up a bit, but durability may be one of his problems. He also does not have the arm strength. He has spunk and I like his intangibles a lot but I don't know if those will make up for his physical limitations. He would be dynamite a division lower that is for sure. Hey, I hope I am all wet about this. I understand he put on a few pounds so maybe he will be a bit more durable. If Lester throws less maybe...

I think it had more to do with his line being less and less sound. And defenses adjusting to him.

Most QB's look bad with no protection.

(And he was young and made a ton of mistakes - we'll see if he gets better at decision making... Or if that's just who he is)

To be fair, he didn't exactly have a bang up ground game to take pressure off him and the offensive line had some serious issues due to injuries and the performance of backups. You put a kid in there that physically wasn't ready to play in the first place...just saying, a lot of things weren't working in his favor.

I know I posted this somewhere else, but I don't see us going after anyone else. From everything I heard the reports of us going after O'Korn and O'Conner were severely blown out of proportion. Apparently the reason we weren't really interested is because they would have to sit out a season, and we weren't interested in that. To me that makes absolute no sense since you figure Hunt is the QB this year, and then next year we have Long, and Dungey. Not sure about anyone else, but that really doesn't inspire confidence.
Terrifying. I would have got as many QBs as possible lined up.

Terrifying. I would have got as many QBs as possible lined up.

That's exactly what I thought when I got the information. Total head scratcher. Also thought it was telling that neither of the O's ever followed/got followed by anybody from Syracuse. I thought we would have had a real solid shot at O'Conner too. I just don't get why we wouldn't make a run. It's literally going to have to be Long, or Dungey in 2016. O'Conner would only be a Sophmore next season. Now we have to hope like hell that Long or Dungey develop or make a strong run at some stud 2016 qb and show him look this is what we are working with, you have a great opportunity to play as a true Freshman.

That's exactly what I thought when I got the information. Total head scratcher. Also thought it was telling that neither of the O's ever followed/got followed by anybody from Syracuse. I thought we would have had a real solid shot at O'Conner too. I just don't get why we wouldn't make a run. It's literally going to have to be Long, or Dungey in 2016. O'Conner would only be a Sophmore next season. Now we have to hope like hell that Long or Dungey develop or make a strong run at some stud 2016 qb and show him look this is what we are working with, you have a great opportunity to play as a true Freshman.

Might have something to do with who they have lined up in the 2016 class...maybe we're close on a couple of really good prospects and they didn't want to muddy the waters.

Might have something to do with who they have lined up in the 2016 class...maybe we're close on a couple of really good prospects and they didn't want to muddy the waters.

That's what I am hoping on. At one time we were in good standing with Sonny Abramason, but he committed elsewhere. I am sure Acosta will stay on him, even though that's probably not someone we want to bank on.

Plus you have Brotzki, who is pretty much a lock, and the Rochester kids that they are high on. None of them are going to be that home run type of prospect, but most likely will be the other qb in the class.

My wish is that we are able to get Robert Washington in early, and then build the class around him. He will attract other top talent. I guess we will find out sooner rather then later.

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/02/05/jayru-campbell-dave-bing/22951053/

Former Detroit mayor Dave Bing is doing what he can to mentor Jayru Campbell, the state champion quarterback from Detroit Cass Tech.

"I believe he's a good kid who made bad decisions," Bing told the Free Press in a telephone interview Wednesday after Campbell appeared at the Detroit Public School League's National Signing Day event to support 13 teammates who signed letters of intent to play college football.
Campbell was released from the Wayne County Jail on Jan. 21. He had been incarcerated for all but a few hours since July 28, first for slamming a school security officer to the ground in January 2014, then for a parole violation for pushing his girlfriend in a school stairwell and taking her cell phone in September.

Campbell, once committed to Michigan State, isn't sure where he'll next play football.

"I know that I can help him," Bing said. "I intend to help him. I think he's learned from what he's done, the mistakes that he's made. I think I see a little humility, which I think is very important. But he accepts the fact that he's made mistakes and that he can't afford to make any more mistakes. He is under a microscope for all of the obvious reasons."

http://www.freep.com/story/sports/high-school/2015/02/05/jayru-campbell-dave-bing/22951053/

Former Detroit mayor Dave Bing is doing what he can to mentor Jayru Campbell, the state champion quarterback from Detroit Cass Tech.

"I believe he's a good kid who made bad decisions," Bing told the Free Press in a telephone interview Wednesday after Campbell appeared at the Detroit Public School League's National Signing Day event to support 13 teammates who signed letters of intent to play college football.
Campbell was released from the Wayne County Jail on Jan. 21. He had been incarcerated for all but a few hours since July 28, first for slamming a school security officer to the ground in January 2014, then for a parole violation for pushing his girlfriend in a school stairwell and taking her cell phone in September.

Campbell, once committed to Michigan State, isn't sure where he'll next play football.

"I know that I can help him," Bing said. "I intend to help him. I think he's learned from what he's done, the mistakes that he's made. I think I see a little humility, which I think is very important. But he accepts the fact that he's made mistakes and that he can't afford to make any more mistakes. He is under a microscope for all of the obvious reasons."

That's a good find right there, thanks for sharing.

Coach Shafer, please get in touch with Mr. Bing. Someone should make Eric White aware of this.

The plan is to play a tight end at QB.

Keep it here.

Coach Shafer, please get in touch with Mr. Bing. Someone should make Eric White aware of this.

Not sure I'd want a kid who's already been in jail and then is dumb enough to get physical with a woman, especially when he's already on parole. I want kids I can root for, not ones I'm ashamed to say are a member of the Syracuse family. Doesn't matter to me how much or little humility he's shown or who he's mentored by.

Avoid like the plague. This is a kid that was convicted of assault, was released, convicted of domestic violence at friggin' school against his girlfriend and has been forced to be tested for steroids.

No way, do not want.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

Yes.

And yes.

I'll give you one borderline sketchy deal that Harbaugh made yesterday, similar to hiring the Paramus HS school (who just happens to have been coaching next year's #2 overall recruit, 5-star DE Rashan Gary).

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/harbaugh-hires-wayne-lyons-mom

Wayne Lyons' mom, mother of the likely CB grad transfer from Stanford, was hired as Director of Player Development.

I'll give you one borderline sketchy deal that Harbaugh made yesterday, similar to hiring the Paramus HS school (who just happens to have been coaching next year's #2 overall recruit, 5-star DE Rashan Gary).

http://mgoblog.com/mgoboard/harbaugh-hires-wayne-lyons-mom

Wayne Lyons' mom, mother of the likely CB grad transfer from Stanford, was hired as Director of Player Development.
Is that the highest position held by a woman in football?

Is that the highest position held by a woman in football?

She described the position on twitter as "team mom" so I assume it's more flashy title. But that's a good question.