QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 12 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

Absolutely no, not at this time. If we get into fall camp and haven't picked up 2 QB's from the portal then maybe you have this conversation, but not before fall camp.

I have always believed we need 4 scholarship QBs, so we need two right now.
  • Find the best QB out there; one who understands he would likely be QB3 in 2023 but the competition for 2024 and beyond is wide open.
  • I'd look for a grad transfer who can benefit from the academic opportunities at Cuse. This would be QB4, an insurance policy.
  • After the 2023 season we need to bring in 2 more QB's to replace Shrader and the grad transfer insurance policy and get to 4 on the roster.
    • 6 of the 7 QBs we've offered for 2024 have already committed elsewhere and the seventh is small (6', 185 lbs.).

This thread is about Lamson and therefore about the QB position, but I also believe we need the following.
  • 2 offensive linemen. As the o-line goes so goes our offense. Currently we have 13 scholarship OL. We need two more to get to a three deep across the board. Two now and two more after the 2023 season when Bleich and More are gone.
    • We need at least one OL who can compete immediately for playing time. And one younger OL who can contribute or at the very last projects to develop. I think we have 5 RS So OL on the roster, so we do not need another OL who is a RS So.
  • 1 CB, we only have 5 scholarship corners (1 Sr, 1 So and 3 RS Fr) for 2023 unless we can add one from the portal. This position group is young so preferable an older player, with some size who can compete for playing time now. We don't need another 5'11', 175 lbs. corner.
  • 1 RB who can contribute now. Price has yet to show he can produce on the Power 5 level. The two freshmen are both small, light and could use a year in the weightroom before they are expected to contribute.
  • 1 Safety. A RS Jr who can contribute on special teams now and compete for playing time in 2024.
    • Simmons is a Sr and will be gone. Barron and Clark could be tempted with leaving early for the NFL (I'm hearing whispers) or for better NIL arrangements (Carter and Duece). I really hope they learn from Jones and Tucker and stay thru their senior seasons.
    • The worst-case scenario is all three are gone before the 2024 season which would leave us with Greenwood, Oliver, Folk, Gould and Perry as the scholarship safeties (5). to maintain a three-deep we would need to add 4 four guys after the 2023 season or 3 if we add a safety to the mix now.

How many open scholarships do we currently have, 6 or 7?
Not positive but I thought we have 8. I think it was 6 openings before the spring game and then Lamson and Geer portaled to get to 8. Not 100% sure on that by any means

Again you are arguing against a made up premise. Yes, he has potential but he isn't good right now. IMO chances are he isn't going to reach that potential this season. That doesn't mean that he will never reach that potential. So how in the F is that righting the kid off? And at what point are you going to allow me to have an opinion? Because by your post I am not allowed to have one yet. Then you make it personal with your last point. Par for the course.

Well saying "par for the course" is making it personal as well. So I guess we're both doing the same thing.

I don't think I ever said you couldn't have an opinion. Am I not entitled to my opinion either?

If I misunderstood your overall point, I apologize. Your posts sounded to me like you were writing him off. If I read your posts to quickly and inferred incorrectly, as I said, I apologize. I don't know what his potential really is this season, so we probably agree with that. I won't be surprised if he plays and does pretty well, I don't actually expect him to look like he had against Pitt but GS had some absolutely awful games that looked like he wasn't even capable of throwing a pass. So anything is possible. I don't know what his ceiling is either, his decision making makes me nervous and I don't buy into the idea that all things can be improved on all players. Some things are just who people are. So his "wild" play, maybe that's from nerves and having almost zero practice time before even playing Pitt or its who he is. We'll find out I think.

Ha at winning the job back. Shrader should have been benched during the Clemson game. That would have assured Devito that he would have had a shot to get his job back. With as poorly as Garrett played, he never saw the bench. That was the writing on the wall. Babers handled that poorly.

Shrader was obviously hurt for the last 3 or 4 games of that season and had trouble throwing.

Bingo, Crawling out on the ledge every portal loss is useless. It’s 2023. If I’m not the starter i’m gone .

Some hurt more than others; especially when it's a rotation player, or a guy who is 1 person removed from seeing the field.

I don't follow football recruiting/portal as much as bball at all. But isn't Lamson the kid that was sort of a "we hope he's a diamond in the rough" and got hurt? I know there were some rumblings that he showed promise and all, but our top two QBs are both 4* guys that were recruited to the SEC?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not satisfied with our overall level of talent on the football team, but this seems like one spot where we should be ok for the near term and have enough runway to fix in the long term.

It's easy to map Lamson as some savior when he hasn't ever played a down that matters.
There were some guys that seem to be in the know that said coaches liked what they saw from him on the scout team. That often stokes optimism.

One would expect a bad game from him, but not an AJ Long type performance to a Pitt team that had lost 3 of 4 games giving up 30.25 ppg.

From what I have seen thus far from CDRW I think a good comparison is BC Anthony Brown, who at times couldn't hit the broad side of a barn. By his 6th year in college Brown was good overall, although he had a few stinkers in there.

I have little faith this year for CDRW should we need him. Next year he will be the man by default. If he is decent we get him one additional year. If he is bad or good, he likely transfers out (assuming he graduates on time).
I am confident you will tell me that you’re talking about potential vs realized potential, but Anthony Brown was heavily recruited by SU, was a starter at BC, transfer to Oregon and is on the Baltimore Ravens now. Not a bad comparison.

Absolutely no, not at this time. If we get into fall camp and haven't picked up 2 QB's from the portal then maybe you have this conversation, but not before fall camp.

I have always believed we need 4 scholarship QBs, so we need two right now.
  • Find the best QB out there; one who understands he would likely be QB3 in 2023 but the competition for 2024 and beyond is wide open.
  • I'd look for a grad transfer who can benefit from the academic opportunities at Cuse. This would be QB4, an insurance policy.
  • After the 2023 season we need to bring in 2 more QB's to replace Shrader and the grad transfer insurance policy and get to 4 on the roster.
    • 6 of the 7 QBs we've offered for 2024 have already committed elsewhere and the seventh is small (6', 185 lbs.).

This thread is about Lamson and therefore about the QB position, but I also believe we need the following.
  • 2 offensive linemen. As the o-line goes so goes our offense. Currently we have 13 scholarship OL. We need two more to get to a three deep across the board. Two now and two more after the 2023 season when Bleich and More are gone.
    • We need at least one OL who can compete immediately for playing time. And one younger OL who can contribute or at the very last projects to develop. I think we have 5 RS So OL on the roster, so we do not need another OL who is a RS So.
  • 1 CB, we only have 5 scholarship corners (1 Sr, 1 So and 3 RS Fr) for 2023 unless we can add one from the portal. This position group is young so preferable an older player, with some size who can compete for playing time now. We don't need another 5'11', 175 lbs. corner.
  • 1 RB who can contribute now. Price has yet to show he can produce on the Power 5 level. The two freshmen are both small, light and could use a year in the weightroom before they are expected to contribute.
  • 1 Safety. A RS Jr who can contribute on special teams now and compete for playing time in 2024.
    • Simmons is a Sr and will be gone. Barron and Clark could be tempted with leaving early for the NFL (I'm hearing whispers) or for better NIL arrangements (Carter and Duece). I really hope they learn from Jones and Tucker and stay thru their senior seasons.
    • The worst-case scenario is all three are gone before the 2024 season which would leave us with Greenwood, Oliver, Folk, Gould and Perry as the scholarship safeties (5). to maintain a three-deep we would need to add 4 four guys after the 2023 season or 3 if we add a safety to the mix now.

How many open scholarships do we currently have, 6 or 7?
Very good summary of our needs. I pretty much agree with all of this. Hopefully the staff can start crossing off some of this list sooner than later.

I've decided that I don't care.

Don't care at all.

Tell me who's on the roster the night before the first game.

Following HS recruiting, offseason practices, the portal, and all of that is a recipe for needless anxiety and depression.
I got to that point years ago.

Because a guy that might be our QB3 entered the portal at the last minute?

What about all the HS guys on the 2 deep we have developed?

Just say goodbye to all of them?
No I’ve come to prefer portal players over HS players because we lost multiple starting defensive players to OSU, LSU and TBD. Every HS recruit currently on the 2 deep is ripe to be stolen by a program with deeper pockets.

The more portal kids we have the more insulated we are from waking up one morning to find out another player we poured resources and time into got paid to leave.

It’s terrible what happened to the HS athletes. They’re totally screwed but if I’m thiniking what’s best for Syracuse I would rather fill my entire classes with transfers.

They are a year stronger; smarter and have proven they can handle being a D1 student-athlete.

Last edited:
The last time it closed we were still finding out about players entering for 4 days afterwards.
Keep in mind the school has 48 hours to enter a player's name once they inform the school that they intend to transfer. And the public recruiting site lists are not "the portal" and all based on second hand information. The official portal is administered by the NCAA and you can only get access with credentials from a member institution, so if the player isn't active on social media, or talks to a journalist you can never be sure.

No I’ve come to prefer portal players over HS players because we lost multiple starting defensive players to OSU, LSU and TBD. Every HS recruit currently on the 2 deep is ripe to be stolen by a program with deeper pockets.

The more portal kids we have the more insulated we are from waking up one morning to find out another player we poured resources and time into got paid to leave.

It’s terrible what happened to the HS athletes. They’re totally screwed but if I’m thiniking what’s best for Syracuse I would rather wmy entire classes with transfers.

They are a year stronger; smarter and have proven they can handle being a D1 student-athlete.

I hate the fact that I agree with you on this. I want guys here 4-5 years so they grow and we can feel that fan/player attachment. The rent-a-player for a year or 2 (when done in bulk) makes it a little more difficult to become invested, but from a competitive standpoint, it's the smart move.

It’s terrible what happened to the HS athletes. They’re totally screwed but if I’m thiniking what’s best for Syracuse I would rather wmy entire classes with transfers.

Seems like the way to go.

1. Talk to all the big time recruits when they are in HS. Get in their Top 3, but lose them to a big boy school. When they go to the portal you already have a relationship. Then they come here for up to 4 years.

2. Scour the G5 and FCS for portal players who are looking to upgrade to P5 football.

3. Find HS glue guys who can create a strong core but aren't fits at big boy schools. Overlooked guys. Undersized guys. Guys who are actually interested in an SU education and not just football.

Seems like the way to go.

1. Talk to all the big time recruits when they are in HS. Get in their Top 3, but lose them to a big boy school. When they go to the portal you already have a relationship. Then they come here for up to 4 years.

2. Scour the G5 and FCS for portal players who are looking to upgrade to P5 football.

3. Find HS glue guys who can create a strong core but aren't fits at big boy schools. Overlooked guys. Undersized guys. Guys who are actually interested in an SU education and not just football.
This works… until they allow unlimited transfers.

I just have a difficult time reconciling that a) we won't be able to keep our best homegrown guys because of the portal with b) the answer therefore is to go all chips in on portal players.

Why are we a desirable destination for players in the portal? Point a) indicates that we're not.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom