QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford | Page 13 | Syracusefan.com

QB Justin Lamson transferring to Stanford

I just have a difficult time reconciling that a) we won't be able to keep our best homegrown guys because of the portal with b) the answer therefore is to go all chips in on portal players.

Why are we a desirable destination for players in the portal? Point a) indicates that we're not.

both premises are not 100% true, so there's your initial problem.

re: A - actually, so far we've kept the vast majority of our homegrown guys.
The exceptions hurt, for sure, but we're retained a LOT more difference makers who developed here, than not.

re: B - all of the former 4* dudes who have transferred in clearly think we're a desirable destination.
2 $EC QB's for starters (and QB2's)
several stud DB's.

You know who's a desirable portal destination?
HOF's mom :p

I just have a difficult time reconciling that a) we won't be able to keep our best homegrown guys because of the portal with b) the answer therefore is to go all chips in on portal players.

Why are we a desirable destination for players in the portal? Point a) indicates that we're not.
What you're describing is the fear fans have for our ability to compete. The factories will cherry pick our best guys and we'll replace them with factory cast offs. It ultimately leaves us in the minor leagues.

The exceptions hurt, for sure, but we're retained a LOT more difference makers who developed here, than not.

re: B - all of the former 4* dudes who have transferred in clearly think we're a desirable destination.
several stud DB's.

And you have to keep in mind that pretty much all programs are losing good players to some degree for various reasons. Its not only happening at Syracuse.

several stud DB's.

You're actually articulating why I don't think 100% portal is the way to go.

Players who have tried schools higher up the food chain only to find themselves 2 or 3 on the depth chart would look for a school where they could a) start and b) play in a a P5 conference. Throw in some NIL, a good likable HC, and getting guys drafted - we're not in a bad spot, IMO.

4* high school players are close enough to the top that they have the ego to believe they'll crack the starting lineup. HS players also get enamored with the "helmet" more than guys who see the truth - if you can play, the NFL will find you. But you have to see the field.

Playing FSU every year gives them a premium opponent to showcase vs.

We're about halfway up (or down) the list, depending on where you want to start.
We're not "the least desirable" D1 team; we're middle of the pack. Good league, good education, pretty good history, good coaching that has landed many guys in the NFL who are still playing and were stars in these guys' lifetimes.

And you have to keep in mind that pretty much all programs are losing good players to some degree for various reasons. Its not only happening at Syracuse.

Yeah, but we're a selling club. We're mid-table, in the grand scheme of things.

I think our profile for the portal should be guys who are disenchanted with the meat-grinder of the top schools and would like to play for a “good guy” coach in a familia atmosphere. It’s still D-1. It’s still P5. But it’s not dog eat dog. A top player who maybe slipped to #2 could reinvigorate his career at SU and enjoy it at the same time.

Lamson according to that twenty four seven website entered the portal back in the first window and then withdrew his name….

I’m wondering if Dino convinced him to give it a run during spring ball and see where the chips fell…

Have to assume Lamson assumes he will not be the next starter at Syracuse

I think our profile for the portal should be guys who are disenchanted with the meat-grinder of the top schools and would like to play for a “good guy” coach in a familia atmosphere. It’s still D-1. It’s still P5. But it’s not dog eat dog. A top player who maybe slipped to #2 could reinvigorate his career at SU and enjoy it at the same time.
This is maybe the best description I’ve heard of what could be a good program for us

My question is where is he going? He was lightly recruited and hasn’t played at SU. Also has been hurt.

Wish him well but what is he looking for? Opportunity to play right away? I don’t think that’s coming for him at the P5 level at the rate he hopes.

I don't follow football recruiting/portal as much as bball at all. But isn't Lamson the kid that was sort of a "we hope he's a diamond in the rough" and got hurt? I know there were some rumblings that he showed promise and all, but our top two QBs are both 4* guys that were recruited to the SEC?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not satisfied with our overall level of talent on the football team, but this seems like one spot where we should be ok for the near term and have enough runway to fix in the long term.

It's easy to map Lamson as some savior when he hasn't ever played a down that matters.
it's the old backup quarterback syndrome, people always think the guy who has never played is better. It's because they've never seen them, the mystery is the appeal

it's the old backup quarterback syndrome, people always think the guy who has never played is better. It's because they've never seen them, the mystery is the appeal
Fasho

We should offer every 5-star and 4-star in the country, establish a relationship and be ready when the time comes to pound the portal.

This year is a net loss for sure but I think some years we can come out ahead and get better talent in than we lose.

We can probably portal better than we recruit.

Lamson is an idiot Shrader can't make it through a full season and always gets hurt and CDRW wasn't accurate when he played. Its one thing if he stood on the sidelines all last year healthy and ready to go and hes frustrated. Totally understandable. But to bail when he was a low level recruit and hasn't even had the clock start ticking on his eligibility is pathetic F him.

Last year we had no seniors 6-0 start and look how that turned out. Got way worse on paper and are scary thin at key spots. Some seasons if we are full of seniors we might land a haul in the portal and have no fall out. This offseason was bad for certain though.

My question is where is he going? He was lightly recruited and hasn’t played at SU. Also has been hurt.

Wish him well but what is he looking for? Opportunity to play right away? I don’t think that’s coming for him at the P5 level at the rate he hopes.
Why wish him well he didn't even give us one season? How is he any different than a recruit who changes their mind at the 25th hour we think we're landing and its too late to target someone else?

I hope he recovers from his injury yes but I also hope he never starts for a big D1 program and loses every starting QB battle he is in during spring/camp.

Why wish him well he didn't even give us one season? How is he any different than a recruit who changes their mind at the 25th hour we think we're landing and its too late to target someone else?

I hope he recovers from his injury yes but I also hope he never starts for a big D1 program and loses every starting QB battle he is in during spring/camp.
I don't ever wish a guy does poorly. It's their decision. They think it's best for them. I might disagree with them, but why be bitter?

I don't follow football recruiting/portal as much as bball at all. But isn't Lamson the kid that was sort of a "we hope he's a diamond in the rough" and got hurt? I know there were some rumblings that he showed promise and all, but our top two QBs are both 4* guys that were recruited to the SEC?

Don't get me wrong, I'm not satisfied with our overall level of talent on the football team, but this seems like one spot where we should be ok for the near term and have enough runway to fix in the long term.

It's easy to map Lamson as some savior when he hasn't ever played a down that matters.

We need quality bodies. We've started 3 different QBs in 3 or 4 of the last 10 seasons, and at least 2 QBs in all the other years. That many guys had at least 50 - 100 passing attempts off the bench.

Lamson might not have been our next star QB, but now we only have 1 back up. Competition makes guys better, and keeps them ready to play if they're called on.

This might be another example of how these kids don't care about the education. Chances are he ends up at a worse school academically. Heck it likely isn't even about the quality of football as he is more likely to end up at a lower level. I suppose he could be home sick, and that would make sense at least. But it seems like a PT move.

I had hopes that Lamson would be a serviceable #2. You are supposed to look good in the Spring game so I didn't take a whole lot from his performance. That being said CDRW worries the hell out of me. He looked so bad last year and IMO had a bad Spring game where it is hard to NOT look good. He has all the physical tools but he looks nothing like a QB to me.
Spring game is now a joke, totally meaningless.

My takeaway is that Del-Rio Wilson must have looked pretty good behind the scenes to make Lamson think he never had a shot to be the backup.
My takeaway was that in his mind Lamson thought he earned the backup role, but was told it was still up for grabs.

But really there is a lack of information and it could be any number of things and we are just guessing at this point.

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.

So, I posted this in the Peach Bowl charity golf thread, Rick Neuheisel stated on Full Ride this morning that Babers stated he recently "lost his Backup QB" to the portal and strongly insinuated it was due to NIL. Take that for what you believe it's worth.
I saw an ex Cuse player post on social media that Lamson left because he was not being given a shot to compete for QB1. He (the former player) said that all positions should be open battles. While that sounds good in theory, I doubt Babers is telling Marlowe and Caleb that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't earn them.

I saw an ex Cuse player post on social media that Lamson left because he was not being given a shot to compete for QB1. He (the former player) said that all positions should be open battles. While that sounds good in theory, I doubt Babers is telling Marlowe and Caleb that their jobs are in jeopardy if they don't earn them.
No other QB has proven to be better than Shrader though. Wax and Caleb are proven Acc players. Lamson is coming off a knee injury and has yet to play a meaningful snap against any opponent.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
warriors826

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom