Class of 2016 - QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 QB Lindsey Scott Jr (LA) LSU /JUCO / Mizzou/Nicholls St/Incarnate Word

Whitey23 said:
So all of these D1 in-state schools passed because of height? Strange scenario. You'd think they'd be desperate for a game changer, especially someone local ? Centenary College Grambling State University University of Louisiana - Lafayette University of Louisiana - Monroe Louisiana State University Louisiana Tech University McNeese State University University of New Orleans Nicholls State University Northwestern State University Southeastern Louisiana University Southern University - Baton Rouge Tulane University

C'mon. A bunch of those probably figured they had no shot, or nosed around and realized that they weren't going to get him.

The kid is a great athlete, was the 5A player of the year, is putting up video game numbers this year, is a terrific student...

I mean, what else COULD it be, if not his height?

C'mon. A bunch of those probably figured they had no shot, or nosed around and realized that they weren't going to get him.

Depending on the individual, Army and Navy offers probably trump all those schools you listed. Kid is a good student and other than Tulane none of those compare on quality of education.

Well, Centenary doesn't have a football team, and is in Division 3. The school is probably also a couple years away from closing its doors.
I think they got into the list because they were D1 at one point.

So all of these D1 in-state schools passed because of height? Strange scenario. You'd think they'd be desperate for a game changer, especially someone local ?

Centenary College
Grambling State University
University of Louisiana - Lafayette
University of Louisiana - Monroe
Louisiana State University
Louisiana Tech University
McNeese State University
University of New Orleans
Nicholls State University
Northwestern State University
Southeastern Louisiana University
Southern University - Baton Rouge
Tulane University

Grambling and ULM both offered him. Half the schools on your list are FCS, like in most states, they typically don't offer/pursue kids that they know are going FBS. Brandon Reddish didn't have Stony Brook, SUNY Albany and Buff State on his offer list.

The biggest question to me is why did Tulane, LSU, Louisiana Tech and UL-L pass.

One article stated Tulane did not offer because he does not have the time lined up under center to run there office and that LSU did pass on him because he was to short.

So all of these D1 in-state schools passed because of height? Strange scenario. You'd think they'd be desperate for a game changer, especially someone local ?

Centenary College
Grambling State University
University of Louisiana - Lafayette
University of Louisiana - Monroe
Louisiana State University
Louisiana Tech University
McNeese State University
University of New Orleans
Nicholls State University
Northwestern State University
Southeastern Louisiana University
Southern University - Baton Rouge
Tulane University

These are the same exact things that were said about EG. Who knows why local teams don't offer someone who appears more than good enough to deserve one? Is it offensive style, experience, height, grades, personality, scholarship numbers or more pressing needs? Who knows, theres countless possible reasons, maybe some of which can be disproven but no one is going to be able to say definitively. Lets just enjoy the fact he looks great on tape, is putting up obscene numbers against top quality opponents, is intelligent, our coaches like him a lot, and he loves Cuse. He's proven enough to get me excited about his potential here.

LSU passed because they have one of the top signal callers in the nation committed. If I'm not mistaken the kid won the elite 11.

Colgate offered Scott; a NY fcs school. How funny is that.

Not putting him in the same category here, but I mean, prospects slip past local teams all the time, and at QB, it's often due to height. Drew Brees is from Austin, and UT didn't recruit him because he was too small. How'd that work out for Brees?

LSU passed because they have one of the top signal callers in the nation committed. If I'm not mistaken the kid won the elite 11.

Colgate offered Scott; a NY fcs school. How funny is that.

Not that odd for Colgate. They recruit in Texas for students.

But you have to admit that he and Russell Wilson (and maybe Tyrod Taylor) are exceptions. It's hard to find many NFL (or even P5) QB's that are under 6'3. In college it's more common -- we just lost to a team with a 6'0 QB (flowers), and we couldn't stop him (or anyone else running with the ball). But 6'0 is certainly not prototypical at either level.

I'm not disrespecting Scott here. If he has "it", fine. Time will tell. But after seeing how difficult it was for similar (diminutive) QB's to become non-injury starters for SU (Long, Womack) ... 5'10 is a dice roll.
Yes but I don't really care about NFL prototypes if they can get the job done. And if you're going to roll the dice, Scott is a good type of kid to roll the dice on considering all of his accolades and athleticism.

But you have to admit that he and Russell Wilson (and maybe Tyrod Taylor) are exceptions. It's hard to find many NFL (or even P5) QB's that are under 6'3. In college it's more common -- we just lost to a team with a 6'0 QB (flowers), and we couldn't stop him (or anyone else running with the ball). But 6'0 is certainly not prototypical at either level.

I'm not disrespecting Scott here. If he has "it", fine. Time will tell. But after seeing how difficult it was for similar (diminutive) QB's to become non-injury starters for SU (Long, Womack) ... 5'10 is a dice roll.
There are plenty (23) of NFL QB's shorter than 6'3":

Aaron Rodgers 6'2"
Mike Vick 6'0"
Russell Wilson 5'11"
Matthew Stafford 6'2"
Drew Brees 6'0"
Tony Romo 6'2"
Ted Bridgewater 6'2"
Andy Dalton 6'2"
Derek Carr 6'2"
Mark Sanchez 6'2"
Ryan Fitzpatrick 6'2"
Tyrod Taylor 6'1"
Brian Hoyer 6'2"
Jimmy Garoppolo 6'2"
Johnny Manziel 5'11"
RG III 6'2"
Tavaris Jackson 6'2"
Colt McCoy 6'1"
Case Keenum 6'1"
Chase Daniel 6'0"
Jimmy Clausen 6'2"
Matt McGloin 6'1"
Kellen Clemens 6'2"

There are 12 additional QB's that are listed at exactly 6'3". There are 35 QB's, or 54%, currently on NFL rosters that are 6'3" or shorter.

There are plenty (23) of NFL QB's shorter than 6'3":

Aaron Rodgers 6'2"
Mike Vick 6'0"
Russell Wilson 5'11"
Matthew Stafford 6'2"
Drew Brees 6'0"
Tony Romo 6'2"
Ted Bridgewater 6'2"
Andy Dalton 6'2"
Derek Carr 6'2"
Mark Sanchez 6'2"
Ryan Fitzpatrick 6'2"
Tyrod Taylor 6'1"
Brian Hoyer 6'2"
Jimmy Garoppolo 6'2"
Johnny Manziel 5'11"
RG III 6'2"
Tavaris Jackson 6'2"
Colt McCoy 6'1"
Case Keenum 6'1"
Chase Daniel 6'0"
Jimmy Clausen 6'2"
Matt McGloin 6'1"
Kellen Clemens 6'2"

There are 12 additional QB's that are listed at exactly 6'3". There are 35 QB's, or 54%, currently on NFL rosters that are 6'3" or shorter.
Ok, interesting stats. Obviously a few of these are backups (Vic, Manziel). And I don't see a single 5'10 guy on the list. Here are the top NFL QB's taken in this year's draft:

Winston: 6-3
Mariota: 6-4
Grayson 6-3
Manion: 6-6
Petty: 6-3
Hundley: 6-3
Siemien: 6-3

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2015/quarterbacks

Last edited:
Starting NFL QB's:

Palmer: 6-5
Ryan: 6-4
Flacco: 6-6
Newton: 6-5
Clausen: 6-2
Dalton: 6-2
Taylor: 6-1 (backup Manuel: 6-5)
McCown: 6-4
Weeden: 6-4
Manning (P): 6-5
Stafford: 6-3
Rodgers: 6-2
Mallett: 6-6
Luck: 6-4
Borties: 6-5
Smith: 6-4
Tannehill: 6-4
Bridgewater: 6-2
Brady: 6-4
Brees: 6-0
Manning (E): 6-4
Fitzpatrick: 6-2
Carr: 6-3
Bradford: 6-4
Rivers: 6-5
Kaepernick: 6-4
Wilson: 6-0
Foles: 6-6
Winston: 6-4
Cousins: 6-3
Rothlesburger: 6-5 (Vick: 6-0 backup)
Good thing we aren't in the NFL then.

Ok, interesting stats. Obviously a few of these are backups (Vic, Manziel). And I don't see a single 5'10 guy on the list. Here are the top NFL QB's taken in this year's draft:

Winston: 6-3
Grayson 6-3
Manion: 6-6
Petty: 6-3
Hundley: 6-3
Siemien: 6-3

http://insider.espn.go.com/nfl/draft/positions/_/year/2015/quarterbacks
What are you saying that we shouldn't take Scott because he is 5'-10"or 11" ? With all the accomplishment this kid has done, I would sign two of them. This kid is a winner and has proved it and you can't teach that, that is bread in him and I for one am so happy we offered and he committed.

Not that odd for Colgate. They recruit in Texas for students.

It's only funny that they were debating above about no FCS schools in Louisiana offering him but one in NYS did. Not funny but ironic.

This kid is clearly a top notch student.

For the record, I think he'll be a great fit in this offense. Because of his 'thickness' I won't worry about him being a running QB the way I worried about AJ. AJ just didn't have the size to take a beating, Scott I think could be a D1 running back.

I'll take wins here also. We're not a pro farm team school by any stretch. At the same time, obviously height is a distinct advantage at the position at both the college and pro levels. A QB has to direct the offense, see the field to make reads and throw over tall linemen. Successful QB's at the college level tend to be tall. Of the last 5 college NC QB's, the smallest was 6-3:

2011-Cam Newton (6-5)
2012-McCarron (6-3)
2013-McCarron (6-3)
2014-Winston (6-4)
2015-Jones (6-5)
That's all well and good. But it's FAR less important in college than the NFL.

Colt McCoy is 6-1, Kellen Moore is 6-0. Those are the two winningest QBs in college football history.

Houston's starting QB, Greg Ward, is completing 72.5% of his passes for 1302 yards with 8 TD/1 INT. He's 5-11. Bowling Green's starting QB is 6-0, and he's already thrown for 2500 yards this year with a 19/3 TD/INT ratio.

I like prototype QBs, but it's not exactly essential to winning in college.

Colt McCoy is 6-1, Kellen Moore is 6-0. Those are the two winningest QBs in college football history.

Houston's starting QB, Greg Ward, is completing 72.5% of his passes for 1302 yards with 8 TD/1 INT. He's 5-11. Bowling Green's starting QB is 6-0, and he's already thrown for 2500 yards this year with a 19/3 TD/INT ratio.

Agree. It's not mandatory. It just helps.

No. I'm saying there's a reason that teams are passing on short QB's. It's a long shot to expect them to have success at the P5 level unless they're highly exceptional. Everyone points to Drew Brees and Russell Wilson .. .the 2 shortest guys in the NFL. The average height it 6'4, for a reason. And there's a reason the last 4 NC QB's are also tall. This is not debatable.

So if the staff likes this kid, more power to them. All I'm saying is a 5'10 QB is a shot in the dark.
You really think that the reason Alabama won any national championships was because of AJ McCarron's height? Or anything that AJ McCarron did, really? He was a fine QB, sure. But he wasn't exactly the reason they won the championship. I'd say the same for Cardale Jones, considering he was 3rd string and has struggled this year.

How tall was Major Applewhite? He couldnt have been more than 5-11

I saw him play recently, and he's a great QB. Is his size a factor, you bet. He's tall and beefy. He can see the field, throw over his massive line and is tough to bring down. He can also run, and he's got an arm. Again, his height is only one factor, but there is is.
And that's fine. But you're talking about national championship QBs, too. We aren't exactly competing for a title anytime soon. And undersized QBs have had a TON of success in college. Pros? No, not really. Because you have to be special to succeed in the NFL. You have to be very good to succeed in college and it's much easier to overcome height. I just don't see comparing QB heights between high school/college kids to NFL starting QBs is really relevant.