QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

His ability to do those things had nothing to do with what I was saying. My point was simply that our QB room is better with Tommy in it with the current group there.

Who has he argued with on the sideline for 2 seasons? I’ve never seen that.
Yeah I don’t think I’ve ever seen Tommy argue with anyone on the sideline either. If anything he might be too nice there

This didn't age well.

Why not? I said the pool was small, not that it was impossible. And he is the right combo of “not exactly an elite thrower” with the confidence and moxie to believe he can beat him out.

And while I didn’t state it here, I (and others) noted it would be someone young with 3+ years of eligibility left.

Well, this becomes like the argument about the SU hoops offense being too reliant on having elite talent who can beat people one-on-one. Same thing here - if we had a couple studs at WR, then the offense works.

Problem is, if you don't have those guys, then you have to adapt, and I don't see a lot of evidence that we did that very effectively.
you dont need 2 stud WR.. but you cant have no stud WR no RB who played in the system and NO Oline depth and QBs missing.

Better teams than SU struggle when they miss pieces but you can miss all the pieces

That’s not the calculation.

The question is “is there a guy who will risk coming here to not win the job from a guy who is in year 3 of a system but is good enough to want to try anyways” - that’s a much much smaller pool of players. The guys who are confident that they can and will beat him out are off to more elite opportunities.
Found somebody.

I think it'll be +3000, and Tucker will be Dino's first 1,000 yard running back here next season too.

I'm expecting the offense to go big next season.
It usually takes me until the spring depth chart is released to gain your level of offseason irrational exuberance.
You're going to be in "if a few guys just step up, why can't we win the national championship" territory by spring practice.

Good to see TD working on footwork/passing outside of the pocket. If he really improves in those areas I think he'll be the starter next year

I think it'll be +3000, and Tucker will be Dino's first 1,000 yard running back here next season too.

I'm expecting the offense to go big next season.

I hedged on total yards for Tommy because of Tucker, Lutz, and Hough. If we keep Rhino at FB though think we see a lot more yards on swings and screens to the RBs as well. Think Tucker will go over 1,000 yards but not sure he does it on the ground alone if hand offs are shared. Could be 900/350 type split yardage wise for him.

3000 is also a big number in college football especially if schedules are ammended next year once again.

The board’s ability to justify irrationally positive expectations year to year is breathtaking

It's called fanhood brother, and I know you've fully got it as well. Hope springs eternal in the off-season... Faith without evidence. Once we've got new evidence next season we can go from there but let's try and will the lads to success in the meantime.

It's called fanhood brother, and I know you've fully got it as well. Hope springs eternal in the off-season... Faith without evidence. Once we've got new evidence next season we can go from there but let's try and will the lads to success in the meantime.

It's called being "dizzy." ;):)

My only disappointment is the failure of this thread to acknowledge Benson and Queeley’s breakouts, paired with Kingsley coming back to rack up 10+ sacks.

It usually takes me until the spring depth chart is released to gain your level of offseason irrational exuberance.
You're going to be in "if a few guys just step up, why can't we win the national championship" territory by spring practice.
What's funny is I never actually get to that latter point. I basically plateau believing the offense is good and that we can be bowl eligible.

What's funny is I never actually get to that latter point. I basically plateau believing the offense is good and that we can be bowl eligible.

Crazy how far we are from your plateau. We aren’t even averaging 21 ppg vs the P5 the last 2 seasons combined. Just getting to 25 ppg in P5 games next season would be an improvement even though it still would still stink.

Yet in 2018 we averaged nearly 40 ppg vs the P5. Crazy how our production is cut in half.

Crazy how far we are from your plateau. We aren’t even averaging 21 ppg vs the P5 the last 2 seasons combined. Just getting to 25 ppg in P5 games next season would be an improvement even though it still would still stink.

Yet in 2018 we averaged nearly 40 ppg vs the P5. Crazy how our production is cut in half.
Oh, I agree. It's not rational.

I probably won't again after the 2019 season. I was fairly convinced Devito would be playing hangman on the sidelines in the 4th quarter while our backups wiped up what was left of clemson.

The board’s ability to justify irrationally positive expectations year to year is breathtaking

That is why we are called "fans" which is short for the proper word "fanatics".

fanatic
[fəˈnadik]

NOUN
fanatics (plural noun)
  1. a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause sport [modified by Htown]
    synonyms:
    zealot · extremist · militant · dogmatist · devotee · sectarian · bigot · chauvinist · partisan · radical · diehard · ultra · activist · apologist · adherent · visionary · maniac · crank · freak · wackadoo · wackadoodle
    antonyms:
    moderate

2. informal
    a person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for something, especially an activity.
    "a fitness fanatic"
    synonyms:
    enthusiast · fan · devotee · lover · addict · nut · maniac · fiend · freak · junkie · bug · crank · buff · -head · a great one for · geek · jock
Kind of accurately portrays most posters on this site.

That is why we are called "fans" which is short for the proper word "fanatics".

fanatic
[fəˈnadik]

NOUN
fanatics (plural noun)
  1. a person filled with excessive and single-minded zeal, especially for an extreme religious or political cause sport [modified by Htown]
    synonyms:
    zealot · extremist · militant · dogmatist · devotee · sectarian · bigot · chauvinist · partisan · radical · diehard · ultra · activist · apologist · adherent · visionary · maniac · crank · freak · wackadoo · wackadoodle
    antonyms:
    moderate

2. informal
    a person with an obsessive interest in and enthusiasm for something, especially an activity.
    "a fitness fanatic"
    synonyms:
    enthusiast · fan · devotee · lover · addict · nut · maniac · fiend · freak · junkie · bug · crank · buff · -head · a great one for · geek · jock
Kind of accurately portrays most posters on this site.
I do think it’s possible to root for a team and retain some objectivity and perspective.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diamondmakr

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom