QB Tommy Devito is returning | Page 9 | Syracusefan.com

QB Tommy Devito is returning

I'd say very easy to defend. TE's are misused...really not used at all. Poor running game mainly due to poor O Line play. QB has little running ability. So all offensive production based on feasibility of maintaining WR production. If I am an opposing DC...shut down the WR's with extra DB's, you win easily

I do agree this OL incompetence destroys an offense. You cannot have a good offense and bad O Line. This team only provides further evidence. This formula gets you to 1-10

I'd say very easy to defend. TE's are misused...really not used at all. Poor running game mainly due to poor O Line play. QB has little running ability. So all offensive production based on feasibility of maintaining WR production. If I am an opposing DC...shut down the WR's with extra DB's, you win easily

I do agree this OL incompetence destroys an offense. You cannot have a good offense and bad O Line. This team only provides further evidence. This formula gets you to 1-10
Yeah all that stuff have been talked about here to exhaustion. That's a totally different point you are making though. Also, playcalling contributes to misuse of players. Not the scheme itself.

Correct. Bill Parcells was right. Tuna always said, " If you have no offensive line, you have nuthin'".

Bad O Line sabotages anything you try to do. Run, pass, screen, draw, whatever.

I'd go as far as saying you could recruit all good skill position players and without O Line and TE it doesn't matter much. It is like buying a shiny new car. Without an engine.

The interrogatory which inaugurated this particular interlocution presupposes the existence of an erudite but languorous subclass of Syracusefan participants who are prepared to eschew the customary...

No definitely not haha
I dont understand you so that means you have the most wisdom in the world. ;)

DeVito working on his footwork according to Bailey on twitter. Wish he could insert some live DL into those drills.
Is this rehab for the injury, or is he all good and this is skills training?

I like the fact that TD is practicing. Maybe Shraders presence is already having an impact. No matter the reason, a hungry QB who is trying to get better is a good thin for Cuse football. #Competition makes everyone better!
I'm willing to bet Shrader's presence has nothing to do with him practicing. TD's work ethic has never been a question mark.

Dads are always right.

Dad was the one who raised the uncertainty, talking about our "Mickey Mouse offense" and some of the throws. But I'm certainly glad he's back. May the better man win the position battle.

Even if you have some concerns about Tommy's game, I'd sure as heck rather have him than not have him, if we hope to have a decent season.

How many years has it been since we had a QB make it through an entire season healthy?

I think Tommy is a great kid. Hard working, has said all the right things, by all accounts just a good kid.

This is a positive no matter how you cut it. Bringing a guy back who understands the offense and aids depth. Whether you like his ability or not, it’s a positive for the program.

He seems to have argued with guys on the sidelines for 2 seasons now.
I agree he understands the offense. I know he can make good throws.
Can he feel the pocket better? Can he check down on different receivers and hit them?

I would guarantee you TD in order to return would have some insurance there and I would assume a slight tweak on the offensive scheme...

Which I think we started to see against ND

Hmmm. Why would that be necessary if he was 100%?
And with that, I won't mention it again. Glad he's back.

That’s not the calculation.

The question is “is there a guy who will risk coming here to not win the job from a guy who is in year 3 of a system but is good enough to want to try anyways” - that’s a much much smaller pool of players. The guys who are confident that they can and will beat him out are off to more elite opportunities.

This didn't age well.

Right, and as crappy as that was, what did the running game accomplish?

If your QB only generates about 75 yards passing for each of the first 3 games in a "fast paced" spread offense, then the running game doesn't matter. Your QB play sucks. Worst in the country level of "sucks".

Exactly, you don't go 1-10 just because of the QB, TD might not be a world beater but he was just one of many problems and in comparison he's pretty far down the list of what went wrong

Middle of the list, I'd say. OL was reason #1. Injuries, of course. Thin defensive line. Poor WR play, and then you get to Tommy Gun.

you might as well ask about 7-8 other teams in the ACC as well. i dont think the offense was figured out as much as we just didnt have the horses in the right spot to compete. We didnt even run 75% of the offense this year with all the issues.

Well, this becomes like the argument about the SU hoops offense being too reliant on having elite talent who can beat people one-on-one. Same thing here - if we had a couple studs at WR, then the offense works.

Problem is, if you don't have those guys, then you have to adapt, and I don't see a lot of evidence that we did that very effectively.

Middle of the list, I'd say. OL was reason #1. Injuries, of course. Thin defensive line. Poor WR play, and then you get to Tommy Gun.
No doubt. We have been a major bowl of suck since the 10 win season

He seems to have argued with guys on the sidelines for 2 seasons now.
I agree he understands the offense. I know he can make good throws.
Can he feel the pocket better? Can he check down on different receivers and hit them?
His ability to do those things had nothing to do with what I was saying. My point was simply that our QB room is better with Tommy in it with the current group there.

Who has he argued with on the sideline for 2 seasons? I’ve never seen that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom