Question- 7 Conf Road Wins | Syracusefan.com

Question- 7 Conf Road Wins

goodroc

Starter
Has a Team in a power 5 conference plus the Big east ever won 7 road games in conference and not made the tournament ?

I am not suggesting we will or should be on the bubble but curious if it’s ever happened and if so how how often and when. We need to win today to accomplish this but i can’t imagine it’s happened often. Even winning 6 conf road wins without making the tournament I would bet has not happened often.

Looking at this differently I can't imagine a team Winning 4 conf home games Has made the tournament often if ever As well.

Talk about a crazy record.
I get we played duke and Louisville at home but we played UVa at home and away, FSU on the road. ( fairly even home.road schedule vs the top 4)

Last edited:
I know Syracuse hasn’t been a great home team recently, but this year was especially frustrating. If you had told me before the season that Syracuse would get 6 or 7 conference road wins not only would I have predicted they’d be in the NCAAs, but I would have predicted them to be a 4 or 5 seed.

How about 7 conference road games + 2 wins on a neutral court? ;)

Last edited:
anyone know how i can find the answer to my question ? I have spent a significant amount of time googling and searching the internet without any luck.

had FSU beat that could make it 8 and that still probably only gets us to the bubble.

anyone know how i can find the answer to my question ? I have spent a significant amount of time googling and searching the internet without any luck.
SWC is the guy that may have that info. He’s amazing,lol.

I am 99.99% confident the answer would be it never happened. A few reasons:
1) The season is now 20 games (first year, except for BIG last year)
2) If we go back closer to 2000, the conference seasons were 16 games in most conferences.
So that in itself reduces the odds significantly:
3) You can only consider one or two conferences each year, because this would be need to be done in a weak P5 conference that year.

Look what a team with 7 road wins has to accomplish to miss the tournament. This in itself makes it highly unlikely there has never been anybody that matched this.
1) Not won a single Q1 + Q2 game at home the entire season **
2) Not won a single Q1+ Q2 game out of conference all year (went 0-4 in such games)
3) Played in the worst (or second worse) power conference.

If you gave me those 3 data points above (and told me nothing about the 7 conference road wins) I would guess that team went 9-22, 10-21 or 11-20. Good chance they would not win 10 F^&^%**^ games!

** Note - I just realized Georgia Tech managed to backdoor their way into the NET 75, so we have one such win... barely

Jerry Palm has a pretty large database with this type of stuff, that he spouts off fairly easily.
Send him a question. It might be interesting enough to get answered -- and based on your post it will not be a homer question, so probably a decent chance it just doesn't get trashed.

Don't ask "Me Homer Fan, thinks we should be in and you hate us. Why are you ignoring our 7 road wins". He probably trashes tonnes of those types of queries each day.

I was messing around with the College basketball reference play index; not sure there's an easy way to do it.

I agree with Jncuse, I would say due to the fact that previous conf schedules were either 16 or 18 games (or even fewer) there's basically a 0% chance it's ever happened before.

good Point. Let me rephrase has a team ever won 70% of their in conference road games and did not make tournament?
If we had an 18 game conf schedule then winning 6 out of the 9 road games would be 66% of conf road games.
As why power 5 team every won 66% or higher of their in conference road games and not make tournament ? It us prbsvky happened but i assume it’s extremely low if ever.

I am 99.99% confident the answer would be it never happened. A few reasons:
1) The season is now 20 games (first year, except for BIG last year)
2) If we go back closer to 2000, the conference seasons were 16 games in most conferences.
So that in itself reduces the odds significantly:
3) You can only consider one or two conferences each year, because this would be need to be done in a weak P5 conference that year.

Look what a team with 7 road wins has to accomplish to miss the tournament. This in itself makes it highly unlikely there has never been anybody that matched this.
1) Not won a single Q1 + Q2 game at home the entire season **
2) Not won a single Q1+ Q2 game out of conference all year (went 0-4 in such games)
3) Played in the worst (or second worse) power conference.

If you gave me those 3 data points above (and told me nothing about the 7 conference road wins) I would guess that team went 9-22, 10-21 or 11-20. Good chance they would not win 10 F^&^%**^ games!

** Note - I just realized Georgia Tech managed to backdoor their way into the NET 75, so we have one such win... barely

good Point. Let me rephrase has a team ever won 70% of their in conference road games and did not make tournament?
If we had an 18 game conf schedule then winning 6 out of the 9 road games would be 66% of conf road games.
As why power 5 team every won 66% or higher of their in conference road games and not make tournament ? It us prbsvky happened but i assume it’s extremely low if ever.

I wouldn't be surprised if 6 never happened either -- the best place to check would probably be the Pac-12 since they have traditionally had the weakest power conference in most years... then the SEC.

I checked Nebraska who missed at 13-5 in 2018 -- they only had 4 road wins the entire season, not sure if any were OOC.

Blind Resume Time

What projected seed do you think this team is?
22-9
15-5 (in Conference)
6-5 in Q1
5-4 in Q2
4-0 in Q3
7-0 in Q4

Guess what crappy team this is?
13-18
6-14 (in Conference)
1-9 in Q1
1-6 in Q2
5-3 in Q3
6-0 in Q4

Blind Resume Time

What projected seed do you think this team is?
22-9
15-5 (in Conference)
6-5 in Q1
5-4 in Q2
4-0 in Q3
7-0 in Q4

Guess what crappy team this is?
13-18
6-14 (in Conference)
1-9 in Q1
1-6 in Q2
5-3 in Q3
6-0 in Q4

#2 is Miami.

#1 is ... Duke?

#2 is Miami.

#1 is ... Duke?

It's a bit of trick question so it would not be fair if people started looking it up.

The #1 Resume is we replace our 2020 Conference Home Results with the 2017 Conference Home Results

The #2 Resume if we replace our 2020 Road Results with out 2017 Conference Road Results.

Two recent teams with such distinct road and home splits. Both missed the tournament!
Take the good and we are probably a 5 seed.
Combine the bad and we are Rutgers (most years)

SWC is the guy that may have that info. He’s amazing,lol.

SWC75 is indeed the guy I'd comsider go to for statistical data. I'm hoping he might see my request for our record vs Dean Smith, now that I've tagged him to help the OP as well. ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom