Questions for Knicks fans | Syracusefan.com

Questions for Knicks fans

sufandu

Living Legend
1) Do you still believe in Phil's plan?

1a) Do you think he gets it done while Melo is still young enough to be a major player, ie. more than a role player?

1) No. Michael and Scottie or Kobe and Shaq ain't walkin' through that door.
1a) Not applicable.

1. Not sure, Phil has never been in this role before, who knows if he can build a team.

2.NO, this isn't an easy fix, this was a rebuilding situation.

still?
Yeah. There were a number of people on here that trusted in Phil when Melo was deciding whether to stay in NY or go elsewhere. They said the Knicks had just as good a chance as any team at puttinng together a championship caliber team before Melo got too old because Phil had a plan. I'm guessing you weren't one of them?

1) yes
2) I believe Melo will be traded to the Clippers for Blake Griffin
3) Westbrook signs with them in '17 giving a big three of Westbrook, KP and Griffin
4) Title in '18
5) Phil's work is done and he returns to Jeannie and the Lakers as a consultant

Not a Knicks fan, but I figured I'd weigh in. I think he can get the team to be good - they have a nice core in Melo, Porzingus, Lopez, and Affalo. I don't see them as a team that is going to make the finals, but they can be a playoff spoiler type.

Yes, I believe in Phil's plan. He inherited a mess. He is taking it one step at a time. He appears to have hit a home run with KP. He has made solid acquisitions in Lopez, Williams, Thomas, and AA. The lack of a 1st rounder this year due to the totally insane Bargnani deal is a huge impediment and certainly wasn't Phil's doing.

Will he get it done while Melo is in his prime depends upon whether or not the Knicks can attract a high level free agent. The immediate need is a legit starting caliber PG. Phil's one big mistake was over-rating Calderon, I expect him to fix that this off-season. They have a superstar and a budding superstar. The Knicks have a solid, but not spectacular core of players at other positions. They also need a d minded backup center. Maybe the Spanish kid that they have stashed can fill that role.

It was too bad that Fisher didn't turn out to be the guy to coach. I admit I liked his credentials given that he had no experience. Unfortunately, he was in over his head.

The next coaching choice will be the measure of Phil's ego. Will he hire somebody who is married to the triangle or will he go out and get the no-brainer best available coach - Thibedou ?

Phil will be gone before the Knicks are serious contenders. Thank god he got talked into KP.

The next coaching choice will be the measure of Phil's ego. Will he hire somebody who is married to the triangle or will he go out and get the no-brainer best available coach - Thibedou ?
I think we can make a pretty good educated guess about what he'll do.

1. No, if he insists on hiring out of his coaching tree and demanding that the team use the triangle offense which is way too predictable. As Knicks players said all last year teams know where the ball is going to end up in triangle sets and they play to that. I was just listening to a NYC hoops writer who thinks Phil might go back to LA this summer if the Lakers clean house after Kobe retires.
2. Hell no... Melo should just waive his no-trade clause and go somewhere he can win a title. Clippers or Bulls would be great starts if they have enough assets to make a trade.

1. Not sure, Phil has never been in this role before, who knows if he can build a team.

2.NO, this isn't an easy fix, this was a rebuilding situation.

As an outsider, these are my exact responses.

There is no easy or quick fix to building an NBA team. Sometimes it happens, but rare.

1) Do you still believe in Phil's plan?

1a) Do you think he gets it done while Melo is still young enough to be a major player, ie. more than a role player?

Melo's game I just don't think is suited for basketball these days. Unless he transforms his game away from the ISO style of play I don't think a team he is on wins or plays for a championship with him being the lead guy.

Too many teams have adapted and changed to a team oriented game and the ISO game is long long gone. People can say he's had nobody around him but a lot of his former teammates have done very well or better before playing with him and after.

Unless he becomes a 2nd or 3rd option with a better player or two around him, I don't see him winning a title.

Yeah. There were a number of people on here that trusted in Phil when Melo was deciding whether to stay in NY or go elsewhere. They said the Knicks had just as good a chance as any team at puttinng together a championship caliber team before Melo got too old because Phil had a plan. I'm guessing you weren't one of them?

I have issues with the Knicks situation, but honestly its less issues than typical with this clown show of a franchise that has had my rooting loyalty since the Orr days.

For starters, how Phil was hired for this position reeks of incompetence. If Dolan did a full search and ended up with Phil as the best candidate, then great...but that's not even close to how it went down.

I also think Phil has botched many many moves since taking over, from his coaching hire process to how his result actually turned out. I give him credit for doing some very good things this year, and am thrilled with KP. That said, his ridiculous instance on the friggin triangle drives me up a wall. Such rigidity to a system is an inherent flaw in leadership and strategy...except if we are talking about Babers of course.

Melo's game I just don't think is suited for basketball these days. Unless he transforms his game away from the ISO style of play I don't think a team he is on wins or plays for a championship with him being the lead guy.

Too many teams have adapted and changed to a team oriented game and the ISO game is long long gone. People can say he's had nobody around him but a lot of his former teammates have done very well or better before playing with him and after.

Unless he becomes a 2nd or 3rd option with a better player or two around him, I don't see him winning a title.
Essentially, what you've said is that he has never learned how to play basketball, or is just too stubborn to do it. I agree. FWIW I don't think ISO was ever the best way to play and past championship teams from every era support that. Even MJ only started winning after he got help and learned how to use it. It's frustrating and really a shame because he has all the tools but for whatever reason just doesn't get it mentally.

1. No, if he insists on hiring out of his coaching tree and demanding that the team use the triangle offense which is way too predictable. As Knicks players said all last year teams know where the ball is going to end up in triangle sets and they play to that. I was just listening to a NYC hoops writer who thinks Phil might go back to LA this summer if the Lakers clean house after Kobe retires.
2. Hell no... Melo should just waive his no-trade clause and go somewhere he can win a title. Clippers or Bulls would be great starts if they have enough assets to make a trade.
I don't think winning a title is at the top of his priority list, which is fine, it's his life. If it was, resigning with the Knicks was never the right move at his age. He needed to go somewhere where he was the last piece to the puzzle, not the cornerstone of a rebuilding project. If he ever moves it up the priority list maybe he can pull a Clyde Drexler and win one with Lebron or something.

Essentially, what you've said is that he has never learned how to play basketball, or is just too stubborn to do it. I agree. FWIW I don't think ISO was ever the best way to play and past championship teams from every era support that. Even MJ only started winning after he got help and learned how to use it. It's frustrating and really a shame because he has all the tools but for whatever reason just doesn't get it mentally.
I don't think winning a title is at the top of his priority list, which is fine, it's his life. If it was, resigning with the Knicks was never the right move at his age. He needed to go somewhere where he was the last piece to the puzzle, not the cornerstone of a rebuilding project. If he ever moves it up the priority list maybe he can pull a Clyde Drexler and win one with Lebron or something.
Maybe the abject failure/future Hall of Famer simply wanted to play basketball in New York.

1) Yes
2) Yes

I think the Knicks will be getting an elite PG this offseason.
They were playing really well and then once Melo got hurt, they started losing and haven't stopped. Phil's a triangle guy (which they got away from, successfully IMO), and I remember Rambis from his days on LA and the T-Wolves. Not impressed with him. So I have no idea where they're going with the grand plan, but probably not going to deviate too much and will instead adjust with personnel.

They're way under the cap, so I expected this year to be evaluative to determine their needs (PG, obviously, back up to Melo). So as much as the loosing streak has made them painful to watch, I didn't see the Fischer termination coming.

Maybe the abject failure/future Hall of Famer simply wanted to play basketball in New York.
I'm not sure why you would call him that... I didn't. And maybe he did. As I said before, it's his life. If he prioritized playing in a specific location over wanting to win a title, that's absolutely his right. But wait, I already said that.

I'm not sure why you would call him that... I didn't. And maybe he did. As I said before, it's his life. If he prioritized playing in a specific location over wanting to win a title, that's absolutely his right. But wait, I already said that.
You suggested he never learned how to play basketball; I was mocking that notion.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom