Quick observations from yesterday's game | Syracusefan.com

Quick observations from yesterday's game

RF2044

Living Legend
Exciting win--we've been due, given how well we've played against some of the better teams on our schedule without quite being able to get over the hump. Here are a few quick observations from yesterday's game--some good, some bad:

• Rak bounced back: What else needs to be said? 9-10 from the field, 11-13 from the stripe, 4 blocks, 27 points. Wow. He looked like a pro big last night, toying with rookies.

• Our baseline perimeter defense sucks: We've been "down" all year when it comes to defending the three, largely due to our personnel being out of position to get out and challenge shots. But specifically, we seem incapable of defending baseline threes. Our biggest hole is on the "left" side of the zone, Roberson's side. It seems like every game guys are wide open there and shoot it like money. If I was a coach, I'd pick up on that tendency and get a shooter in that spot all game long.

• Cooney had an awful game: Flat out awful. And unlike most games, he had a bunch of wide open looks--he just couldn't connect. Brutal shooting performance, but luckily he dialed it back toward the end and let Gbinije / Rak take over.

• Gbinije was sensational: Headed into this season, I was of the mindset that we'd seen all that Gbinije could do offensively, and that his scoring potential was limited--that he'd be a complimentary bench guy who could get you 7 most nights, but that was about it. Boy, was I wrong. The diversification of his game has been magnificent to behold. Guy is playing as well as anybody in the country right now--no exaggeration. And the fact that he is now getting into the lane / to the rim at will makes him a match up problem extraordinaire for opposing coaches. Do you defend him with a three? good luck, he'll take them off of the bounce. Do you defend him with a guard? Good luck, he'll take them down low or shoot over them with ease from three. Plus, he's shouldering primary playmaking responsibilities for the team. Kid is playing every bit as well as Evan Turner did for Ohio State a couple of years ago, and he ended up being the #2 pick in the draft. And that three point shot? Butter.

• The light bulb seems to be going on for Roberson: Not claiming that he's a finished product, but he's been providing some really important contributions lately, not the least of which has been the infusion of scoring from a fourth option. Makes us so much more dangerous when he's a threat.

Bring on Pitt!

Let's Go Orange!!!

Great post. Roberson looks better but he still looks uncomfortable and tentative on offense. He has no clue what constitutes a good shot from a bad one, so he hesitates when he gets the ball, even when he's in a spot on the court where a jumper is in order. I still think he's afraid of making a mistake or taking what JB considers an ill-advised shot and facing the JB hook. I would've thought that fear would've gone away after the McCullough injury.

The reason he's rebounding so well is that is a reaction play. he's not thinking when he's rebounding.

Roberson is very shy and introverted by nature. I hope next year he comes out of his shell on the court.

I think many, even here, fail to realize how truly exception MikeG has been this second half of the season. He has been one of if not the best wing players in the country. He's also doing it on a team with limited offensive options. Its a bit of a shame that we have 2 of the better players in the country but lack a developed enough supporting cast and over all depth to be a good enough team for the nation to see it. This team with a healthy Chris likely has 2 more wins or a DC2 that could spell Rak for even just 7 minutes a game likely has 2 more wins.

I will say this about Tyler he is finally looking more comfortable out there. He still looks absolutely awful receiving at 17' trying to figure out if he should shoot, pass or drive. He is still unbelievably jerky in his offensive movements. That said he begun to finish around the hoop with actual moves and some patience. He's starting to learn when he can drive from the FT line because the defense has sold out on Rak. He's always been an great rebounder and other than the corner 3 he has become a decent defender who isn't a huge liability. If he ever gets consistent with his 12-17' jumper he has a chance to be a very proficient scorer and an excellent garbage man (not a slight at all). I do not however think he will ever be successful as a primary scorer, his game is complimentary scorer all the way IMO. (again not a knock)

Kaleb has a very good mid-range jumpshot.

His offseason focus needs to be on defense (obvious), decisiveness when he drives, and a left hand.

Improved strength will also help him on both ends. Its my opinion that he basically got shell shocked this year and has tried very hard to get better at everything all at once which is a damn hard thing to do. One thing at a time is easy but he's needed to improve in almost all area's which is why originally he wasn't expected to start as a freshman. I feel that once the season is over and he gets into working in the off season this trial by fire may pay more dividends next year than it did on the court this year.

I think many, even here, fail to realize how truly exception MikeG has been this second half of the season. He has been one of if not the best wing players in the country. He's also doing it on a team with limited offensive options. Its a bit of a shame that we have 2 of the better players in the country but lack a developed enough supporting cast and over all depth to be a good enough team for the nation to see it. This team with a healthy Chris likely has 2 more wins or a DC2 that could spell Rak for even just 7 minutes a game likely has 2 more wins.

I will say this about Tyler he is finally looking more comfortable out there. He still looks absolutely awful receiving at 17' trying to figure out if he should shoot, pass or drive. He is still unbelievably jerky in his offensive movements. That said he begun to finish around the hoop with actual moves and some patience. He's starting to learn when he can drive from the FT line because the defense has sold out on Rak. He's always been an great rebounder and other than the corner 3 he has become a decent defender who isn't a huge liability. If he ever gets consistent with his 12-17' jumper he has a chance to be a very proficient scorer and an excellent garbage man (not a slight at all). I do not however think he will ever be successful as a primary scorer, his game is complimentary scorer all the way IMO. (again not a knock)

Agree 100% with Roberson. Kid is a PF all the way. He was miscast as a three at the beginning of the year, and was also trying to work out game jitters since he barely saw the floor last season. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of his offensive game. He's finally starting to score inside. He has the mechanics to be a good mid range shooter, and I'd expect him to add that dimension to his game consistently next year.

Plus, I know he's herky-jerky when he catches the ball there, but honsetly--I apprecite that he shows discretion instead of just cranking up a shot every time he's open from 17 feet. It doesn't look pretty, but it shows good judgement. Ultiamately, your assessment of him being a complimentary scorer is spot on. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him be a 15 / 10 guy his senior year, as maybe the third option on the team.

Key for him this offseason will be to get in the weight room and add 10 pounds of muscle, work on his handle, and work on smoothing out that jump shot. If he comes back with those enhanced components of his game, he's going to be tough to keep out of the starting lineup.

Silent G has to be at least 2nd Team All ACC correct, Rak 1st team I assume.

They go purely by in conference numbers so by that Mike really should be boarder line first team right now IMO. Okafor and Christmas are 1st team but Harrell likely isn't at this point. Unless we really finish with a flurry of wins I have a hard time seeing us getting 2 on 1st team all ACC. If we go say 4-1 and finished in the top 3 or 4 then maybe but otherwise it seems unlikely no matter how good the numbers are.

Good thread .. and happy to see Rak get off and G continue to play so well. Notice that ESPN kept playing up Harrell -- who's a very good player. But Harrell was thoroughly outplayed by Rak in this game -- especially in the second half.

I'm also happy for Tyler .. although I think he's a SF without an outside shot, rather than a smallish PF. Either way, he's improving all the time and as he gets better, the distinction is going to be less and less important .. because he can help the team.

Stayed with beer the whole time last night. ;)

Last edited:
Jones was very impressive last night, but does he always play that way?

Maybe not quite as well as he did last night, but he's been on a roll lately. And one thing that has been consistent is that Jones has a knack for hitting big shots, he's clutch at the FT line, etc. I'd say he lived up to the billing as the top lead guard prospect entering the college ranks this year. Wouldn't be surprised AT ALL to see him opt to go pro, and be a top 5/6 pick.

Agree 100% with Roberson. Kid is a PF all the way. He was miscast as a three at the beginning of the year, and was also trying to work out game jitters since he barely saw the floor last season. I couldn't agree more with your assessment of his offensive game. He's finally starting to score inside. He has the mechanics to be a good mid range shooter, and I'd expect him to add that dimension to his game consistently next year.

Plus, I know he's herky-jerky when he catches the ball there, but honsetly--I apprecite that he shows discretion instead of just cranking up a shot every time he's open from 17 feet. It doesn't look pretty, but it shows good judgement. Ultiamately, your assessment of him being a complimentary scorer is spot on. It wouldn't surprise me at all to see him be a 15 / 10 guy his senior year, as maybe the third option on the team.

Key for him this offseason will be to get in the weight room and add 10 pounds of muscle, work on his handle, and work on smoothing out that jump shot. If he comes back with those enhanced components of his game, he's going to be tough to keep out of the starting lineup.
It's laughable that people call him a 3 over a 4

Maybe not quite as well as he did last night, but he's been on a roll lately. And one thing that has been consistent is that Jones has a knack for hitting big shots, he's clutch at the FT line, etc. I'd say he lived up to the billing as the top lead guard prospect entering the college ranks this year. Wouldn't be surprised AT ALL to see him opt to go pro, and be a top 5/6 pick.
Seriously, if Ennis could be a top-20 pick Jones has got to be a lottery pick. He literally took over that game last night, on the biggest stage, and won the game for his team - and for my money he really has been the best PG in the country this year

Seriously, if Ennis could be a top-20 pick Jones has got to be a lottery pick. He literally took over that game last night, on the biggest stage, and won the game for his team - and for my money he really has been the best PG in the country this year

Possibly the best PG, okay. Possibly a lottery pick, I dunno. He's listed as 6-1, so I'm sure he's 6-0 tops, more likely 5-11 1/2. But almost 6-1 with sneakers on. :D

Last edited:
For what it's worth, his PER (21.5) is higher right now than Ennis's PER from last season (21.3). That kinda surprised me.

Also, only tangentially related, but D'Angelo Russell's PER is freaking insane: 28.7

No wonder he's pretty much locked in as a top 3 pick.

Silent G has been playing like an Evan Turner (OSU version) type of all around excellent college player. Amazing improvement throughout the season.
Billy Owens is the original Evan Turner

For what it's worth, his PER (21.5) is higher right now than Ennis's PER from last season (21.3). That kinda surprised me.

Also, only tangentially related, but D'Angelo Russell's PER is freaking insane: 28.7

No wonder he's pretty much locked in as a top 3 pick.

D'Angelo Russell is my favorite non-SU player in CBB. Amazing to watch.

D'Angelo Russell is my favorite non-SU player in CBB. Amazing to watch.
I mean, PER is obviously skewed toward big men, and they often have PER's in the 28-35 range...but for a FRESHMAN POINT GUARD to have a PER of nearly 30!? Holy hell. That is absurd.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom