quick youtube evaluation of these players I do not know & my dumb opinions | Syracusefan.com

quick youtube evaluation of these players I do not know & my dumb opinions

swish7

All Conference
I don't know these new guys and don't have a lot of time to invest in getting to know them. Barely can even watch the games these days. So, here is my quick eval based on some YT highlights, and my own uninformed opinions to boot...

• Chance Westry: Reminds me of a more in control & under control Judah Mintz. I see everyone has him starting at the 3. I am sure there is a reason for that. He just seems so far removed from the typical Syracuse 3 guard/forward, that it will take some getting used to.
  • Kyle Cuff Jr: I gotta be honest. I am super intrigued with him. Based on his HS highlights, I see an athleticism that reminds me of our best 3s we have ever had. Luke Jackson, Josh Pace, etc. Nobody here has him in our top 9. My question is, if he is healthy, who the heck is gonna stop him?
  • JJ Starling: Already seen enough of him. Seems like a classic PG, but can also take it from the 2. Super athletic, can dribble, drive, dish, shoot. Got a bit of that old man's YMCA IQ as well. Total package. Kind of a more athletic and in shape and taller version of Joe G.
I mean, with these 3 guys, Mintz has so many more options. Starling or Westry can bring it up at times. Cuffe, Westry, or Starling can be initiators on drives. They can be the ones drawing fouls too. Mintz can really take a step back and play a game that will help him out the best in next year's draft. He doesn't have to be the hero on 60% of our plays like he was last year.

• Naheem McLeod: Cannot coach 7'4". However, his stats seem like not high enough, given his physical attributes. That said, he is a darn exciting replacement for Jesse. Hope he works hard on his game, bc there is a lot of room for improvement. We need to keep the floor open for him. He seems to make mistakes when the lane is clogged with midgets. At his best when he can catch, gather and go up (who isn't?). Needs to be better when not given space. His backups are crucial, as important as him, quite frankly.
All in all, Red at least hit a triple with this crew, if not knocked it out of the park.

Exciting times.

McLeod... hoping he's a diamond in the rough... hoping we can coach such a big to adequately develop him and get the most out of him.

Cuffe does have a bit of intrigue to him, I agree.

So many questions about Red in charge... all the new transfers and how it will all play out...

Will be entertaining to watch - hopefully in a good way and not a trainwreck.

Last edited:
I don't know these new guys and don't have a lot of time to invest in getting to know them. Barely can even watch the games these days. So, here is my quick eval based on some YT highlights, and my own uninformed opinions to boot...

• Chance Westry: Reminds me of a more in control & under control Judah Mintz. I see everyone has him starting at the 3. I am sure there is a reason for that. He just seems so far removed from the typical Syracuse 3 guard/forward, that it will take some getting used to.
  • Kyle Cuff Jr: I gotta be honest. I am super intrigued with him. Based on his HS highlights, I see an athleticism that reminds me of our best 3s we have ever had. Luke Jackson, Josh Pace, etc. Nobody here has him in our top 9. My question is, if he is healthy, who the heck is gonna stop him?
  • JJ Starling: Already seen enough of him. Seems like a classic PG, but can also take it from the 2. Super athletic, can dribble, drive, dish, shoot. Got a bit of that old man's YMCA IQ as well. Total package. Kind of a more athletic and in shape and taller version of Joe G.
I mean, with these 3 guys, Mintz has so many more options. Starling or Westry can bring it up at times. Cuffe, Westry, or Starling can be initiators on drives. They can be the ones drawing fouls too. Mintz can really take a step back and play a game that will help him out the best in next year's draft. He doesn't have to be the hero on 60% of our plays like he was last year.

• Naheem McLeod: Cannot coach 7'4". However, his stats seem like not high enough, given his physical attributes. That said, he is a darn exciting replacement for Jesse. Hope he works hard on his game, bc there is a lot of room for improvement. We need to keep the floor open for him. He seems to make mistakes when the lane is clogged with midgets. At his best when he can catch, gather and go up (who isn't?). Needs to be better when not given space. His backups are crucial, as important as him, quite frankly.
All in all, Red at least hit a triple with this crew, if not knocked it out of the park.

Exciting times.
the backcourt will be exceptional...

thing about cuffe is: does he have that athleticism he had in high school? coming off injury have to wonder...but cuffe said recently his knee is perfect so yeah I am super intrigued as well

westry also coming off injury...but he is a big guard...more of a PG actually than Judah

and Starling...he was in a rough spot last year at Notre Dame...who else on the that team could create their own offense...? with all of the options here...look for him to take a big leap this season, imo

overall, everyone expects Judah to be the clear lead dog in the backcourt but for me I am not so sure...could be that one of the guards or two could actually be stronger...it could also be a 1A, 1B, 1C type of thing....

reading Red's comments, he sees it as Judah as the clear #1 guard...I just hope he keeps an open mind if some of the other guards are playing better...(would be a great porblem to have)

not even mentionging that I think justin taylor is actually better at SG anf quadir might be best at PG

as far as Naheem...it's all about how he gets coached up...74 is ridiculous...the backups will play a big role regardless...so yeah they are key...

i wonder about carey and patterson...perhaps either or both could surprise...? if they do...would be huge

So many questions about Red in charge... all the new transfers and how it will all play out...

Will be entertaining to watch - hopefully in a good way and not a trainwreck.
Yeah, I agree. While as excited as I am for next year, I'm also reminding myself that there are a lot of unknowns and could result in an inconsistent product on the court. Even with teams full of five stars (i.e. Duke, Kentucky, etc.) that sometimes happens.

The big difference for me going into next season is knowing that Red and staff took a giant swing for the fences and were very successful overall putting this team together. I can stomach coming up short like this versus what we saw the last few years, which was borderline roster negligence.

We need to develop chemistry. That's Red's primary job...building chemistry. It might take a while, so patience will be a virtue. If we stumble a bit, I fully expect this fanbase to lose it on the regular. But overall, I think we'll exceed expectations.

We need to develop chemistry. That's Red's primary job...building chemistry. It might take a while, so patience will be a virtue. If we stumble a bit, I fully expect this fanbase to lose it on the regular. But overall, I think we'll exceed expectations.
They didn’t mind punting on the last 5 years, so Red gets a solid 5 years to put it together too.

He won’t need it, but still.

They didn’t mind punting on the last 5 years, so Red gets a solid 5 years to put it together too.

He won’t need it, but still.
Xactly. If he keeps recruiting at this level ... there will be challenges keeping everyone happy with PT. But his chances for success improve dramatically.

Xactly. If he keeps recruiting at this level ... there will be challenges keeping everyone happy with PT. But his chances for success improve dramatically.
Frankly, as long as everyone is getting a crack and the right guys are winning out….that’s sports and that’s how it’s supposed to be. I think if you recruit well, there should be a legit and sizable role for 8 or 9 every year. 8 should be a given. Backup ball handler, backup wing, backup big. 9 is tougher, but can work on certain teams.

Frankly, as long as everyone is getting a crack and the right guys are winning out….that’s sports and that’s how it’s supposed to be. I think if you recruit well, there should be a legit and sizable role for 8 or 9 every year. 8 should be a given. Backup ball handler, backup wing, backup big. 9 is tougher, but can work on certain teams.
I really want Cope and Taylor to get major run. We've just seen the tip of the iceberg w/ both, imo.

I agree. I'm excited for Kyle Cuff Jr..
I am also very interested in seeing Kyle Kuffe play. An interesting tidbit I come across a couple of days ago was a recap of Kansas team for next year referencing additions and losses. Nary a word about losing Kuffe! I sure hope he makes them realize he was a loss. Also excited to see a reference to him playing like Stevie Thompson......memories!!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom