Random Musings / Near end of season ... | Syracusefan.com

Random Musings / Near end of season ...

SU94

Starter
  • One of the common traits of our stellar teams is the presence of a ++ rebounder. And in the best of times, one that could outlet the ball quickly and accurately, as it triggers our fast break, which traditionally is one of the best in the college game (ask Jay Wright, he’ll agree). We need that. I like Roberson as a rebounder, but I’d label him a "good" rebounder. IMHO, this was our fatal flaw last year. No outstanding rebounder, therefore lack of fast breaks. Everything came in the half court. One more thought, this ++ rebounder most often came from the power forward position. If for no other reason, because most rebounds do not come “straight” off the rim (to our center), but to the sides.

• Obviously, Christmas has been a Godsend, but perhaps his lasting legacy is the reintroduction of the entry pass into the SU offense. I am sure this is hyperbole, but I bet we did not have 10 textbook entry passes into the post the last 3-4 seasons combined. Everything offensively in the half court was prompted by motion offense and one-on-one play. And 85% of those “plays” came from our 1, 2 or 3. I hope next year, post Christmas, that there are touches available on the blocks. Even when we don’t have someone like Rony, DC, Wallace, etc., I think it is important to get block touches.

• I am a BIG proponent of Cooney. And I understand we are collectively limited offensively this season. However, one thing he needs to cut back on is his ridiculous “heat check” shots. So, he makes a shot. Great. That should not give him license to take a dumb, low percentage 3 on the next possession. If the natural flow of the offense sees him make 3-4 straight shots in a 5-minute span, fine. I am all for a heat check. But not after every made jumper. 33-point ND games don’t grow on trees. It seems to me that we waste at least 2-3 possessions per game this way.

• Lots of talk of who play PG next year. One thing this team needs is someone who can get into the lane. Dish or score, it does not matter. That is one reason I am not a big believer in long stretches of Silent G running the point. To me, Silent G is awesome to help alleviate the stresses that come from a team that presses (like Louisville). Wallace, Coleman did this so well back in their day. But in terms of the offense, I am worried that we’ll have to wait until Nov. 2016 (at the earliest) to have a point guard that can penetrate (Battle, Washington, Duval?).

• This won’t happen, but next year, when the numbers in our rotation are theoretically up, I hope we incorporate the press in situations when we are not trailing. For just 2-3 possessions. Nothing major. But, we do it well. We always get a turnover or two in the first 3-4 possessions. Mathematically, that can be a plus for us.

• I say this every year at this time, but I sure hope that Hopkins sticks around. I love knowing what’s next, even if I don’t know when it is coming.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
KD95

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom