Rank the ACC's stadiums/venues | Syracusefan.com

Rank the ACC's stadiums/venues

Trueblue25

Cali Award Magistrate; 2023 Cali Award Rushing Yds
We're fortunate enough to belong to a large, competitive, and ever improving football conference. Each year allows fans to travel all over the Atlantic and East to tailgate and watch football.

As a Syracuse fan, including the Dome, where do these venues rank?

What would your ACC stadium/venue rankings be?

Top Tier

1. Clemson Memorial Stadium
2. Florida State Doak Campbell
3. VT Lane Stadium

Middle Top

4. Louisville Papa Johns
5. Virginia Scott Stadium
6. NC St. Carter Finley

Middle

7. G Tech Bobby Dodd
8. Syracuse Carrier Dome
9. UNC Kenan Memorial

Lower Middle

10. Pitt Heinz
11. U Hard Rock
12. Wake BB&T

Bottom

13. Duke Wallace Wade
14. BC Alumni

Couldn't agree more, but we're fast approaching the 20th anniversary of the last time that happened (1999 vs. Michigan). Sigh.

There's a possibility we could go in the Clemson game, at home, at 5-1. Think they could sell it out?

We're fortunate enough to belong to a large, competitive, and ever improving football conference. Each year allows fans to travel all over the Atlantic and East to tailgate and watch football.

Top Tier

3. VT Lane Stadium

Middle Top

4. Louisville Papa Johns
6. NC St. Carter Finley

Middle

7. G Tech Bobby Dodd
8. Syracuse Carrier Dome
9. UNC Kenan Memorial

Lower Middle

10. Pitt Heinz
11. U Hard Rock
12. Wake BB&T

Bottom

13. Duke Wallace Wade
14. BC Alumni

I would put Virginia Tech #2, maybe even "1b" after Clemson.

Pitt in my opinion is dead last. The stadium is just way too big for their fanbase, and those yellow seats just emphasize how empty it is all the time. They desperately need a 40k seat on-campus stadium.

The Carrier Dome of the 90s would be like #3.

There's a possibility we could go in the Clemson game, at home, at 5-1. Think they could sell it out?

Honestly, I doubt it. We were 3-0 going into the LSU game two years ago, they brought a TON of fans (more than Clemson ever would), and the crowd was 43K. Now granted it was a Noon game and primetime would add a few thousand. But getting to 49,500 would be tough.

The 1st year Clemson came to the Dome we were as close to capacity as I've seen since Donovan McNabb played.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't think I realized how large that crowd was: 48,961.

Maybe I'm wrong, I don't think I realized how large that crowd was: 48,961.
I don't recall that crowd being huge from a Clemson standpoint. I think it was just year 1 of SS, we were doing OK and Clemson was rolling...

Then...

We did everything possible to deflate the crowd as fast as humanly possible.

Top Tier

3. VT Lane Stadium

Middle Top

4. Louisville Papa Johns
6. NC St. Carter Finley

Middle

7. G Tech Bobby Dodd
8. Syracuse Carrier Dome
9. UNC Kenan Memorial

Lower Middle

10. Pitt Heinz
11. U Hard Rock
12. Wake BB&T

Bottom

13. Duke Wallace Wade
14. BC Alumni

Having been to both I'd flip UNC and NCSU - college campus v state fairgrounds.

Although I haven't done all the trips, I can't imagine any scenario where a football trip to Chestnut Hill is worse than a football trip to Wake or Duke.

UNC is a great trip and stadium as well.

Since I prefer my college football to be on or somewhat near the college campus, I'd put the U and Pitt at the bottom.

Agreed. Undervaluing Kenan severely. Beautiful campus and stadium. For me, Kenan is near the top. maybe #2 in ACC. It's better than Scott Stadium and Lame Stadium. Finley stinks. Bobby Dodd is better than most here would rank.

Pitt in my opinion is dead last. The stadium is just way too big for their fanbase, and those yellow seats just emphasize how empty it is all the time. They desperately need a 40k seat on-campus stadium.

Having been to Heinz Field numerous times, I disagree. I like that stadium -- a lot.

Which I guess begs the question: are we talking about the quality of the venue, or the game day experience?

Because if its the former, then Heinz Field should be much higher on the list. But if we're factoring in it being off campus, attendance being poor, etc. then I understand where the OP ranked them.

Which I guess begs the question: are we talking about the quality of the venue, or the game day experience?

I interpreted it as the gameday experience. For example, Verizon Center is a much more comfortable arena and has way more amenities than Allen Fieldhouse, but where would you rather experience college basketball?

That looks way too influenced by recent ACC final standings than the virtues of the actual venues.

Top Tier

3. UNC Kenan Memorial
4. Virginia Scott Stadium

Middle

5. Syracuse Carrier Dome
6. VT Lane Stadium
7. G Tech Bobby Dodd
8. NC St. Carter Finley
9. Louisville Papa Johns

Bottom

10. Wake BB&T
11. Duke Wallace Wade
12. BC Alumni
13. Pitt Heinz
14. U Hard Rock*

I really value stadium location. The atmosphere is far better to me when the stadium is on campus, surrounded by academic buildings. I don't care much about the size of the facility, but how loud it is, how good the tailgating is, how strong the fanbase is, how good the sightlines are, etc.

*=Haven't been to Miami's stadium but I have seen the empty stands and lack of enthusiasm and know it is not on campus.

I've also been to NC St. and was fairly unimpressed. The stadium itself is very nice but the areas very uninspiring from a college game day point of view.

Although I haven't done all the trips, I can't imagine any scenario where a football trip to Chestnut Hill is worse than a football trip to Wake or Duke.

UNC is a great trip and stadium as well.

Since I prefer my college football to be on or somewhat near the college campus, I'd put the U and Pitt at the bottom.
The U sells beer though, and the new stadiums beautiful

Whoa, Kenan didn't do anything for me at all. Much preferred Carter Finley as an atmosphere.

Having been to Heinz Field numerous times, I disagree. I like that stadium -- a lot.

Because if its the former, then Heinz Field should be much higher on the list. But if we're factoring in it being off campus, attendance being poor, etc. then I understand where the OP ranked them.
I guess I'd have to say we're talking about full experience. All variables taken into consideration. I think game day experience would have to be the biggest though because a great crowd/field/rocking stadium could make even a BC/Wake game enjoyable.

Yeah, where would you rather experience a great game.

Of course, I was in Carter Finley for a Thursday night classic, and when I visited Kenan UNC was down 28-0 midway through the first quarter, so that could have something to do with it.

But the Kenan pregame atmosphere, and the stadium itself, just didn't impress me as a place I'd ever be particularly interested in visiting again. NC State electric when I was there.

Tech really has an awesome atmosphere. They are so passionate and loud! Kind of the opposite feeling in Charlottesville at Scott Stadium. This is kind of why it is such a great rivalry. They are so gentile and proper at UVa. The stadium is so nice with the columns, etc.

I was at the ND night game there about 3-4 years ago. The place rocked that night. I have also been there for 2 cuse day games and its a total 180. No juice ,30-40k scattered fans. Zero college feel. But as a facility, i agree it is nice and a big positive is the wide open parking lots for gating.

Tech really has an awesome atmosphere. They are so passionate and loud! Kind of the opposite feeling in Charlottesville at Scott Stadium. This is kind of why it is such a great rivalry. They are so gentile and proper at UVa. The stadium is so nice with the columns, etc.

Welcome to the board!

My rankings to the stadiums I've been to:

1. Clemson (classic Southern college town, stadium and environment)
Big Drop and the next group are all about the same
2a. FSU (large stadium with marvelous pregame event of throwing the spear, lots of T-shirt fans is a downer)
2b. Wake Forest (easiest stadium to tailgate at...reminds me of a large TX HS stadium, decent fans)
2c. UNC (setting is gorgeous, home town fans harmless)
2d. UVA (beautiful stadium, sun dresses and preps, parking sucks for visitors--long walk)
Drop
3a. NCSt (Decent larger stadium filled with mostly sullen folks)
3b. Cuse (great campus setting, horrible tailgating, weak crowds in a bubble) (Cuse could elevate to 2a or b with reno and 45k+)
Drop
4. Pitt (NFL stadium and spartan crowds) (Pitt could elevate to 2e with 50k actual fans in the seats)

68. UConn (ugly fans in boring stadium, easy tailgating)
69. Rutgirls (the worst...)