Ranking the Nation's Deepest Teams | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Ranking the Nation's Deepest Teams

Harvard, huh? Yeah, I guess that team is pretty deep.

With nerds.

nerds.jpg

I have a problem with Kansas. If I remember correctly, they lost their entire starting 5 from last year. They had 4 seniors and McLemore.

I think Perry Ellis started but yeah they will be really young and unproven. Wayne Seldon besides Wiggins as well.

I think Perry Ellis started but yeah they will be really young and unproven. Wayne Seldon besides Wiggins as well.
I just checked the box score from KU's last game, the season-ending Sweet Sixteen OT loss vs Michigan. Ellis did not start, and played only 15 minutes in the 45 minute game. The only returning player who got real minutes in that game was Tharpe.

http://scores.espn.go.com/ncb/boxscore?gameId=330882305

the Orange have
3 guys who can play the 5
4 guys who can play the 4
5 guys who can play the 3
4 guys who can play the 2
but if the one guy who is a proven, true and legitimate 1 goes down, all that depth crumbles with him

TE is already the MVP of this team.

the Orange have
3 guys who can play the 5
4 guys who can play the 4
5 guys who can play the 3
4 guys who can play the 2
but if the one guy who is a proven, true and legitimate 1 goes down, all that depth crumbles with him

TE is already the MVP of this team.
I think this may be a trend for perennial top 10 teams. If you get an elite point guard (and you must have a very good one to compete at the highest level), it's going to be very hard to get a second good one willing to be the back-up. Which is why they went so hard after Joseph for next year. If he and Ennis were both in this year's class, they might not have got Kaleb.

Last edited:
The article was about depth, and one player does not give you depth.

I agree but that is why they are ranked so high which makes no sense because the article was about depth.

Anyone who can't recognize we are largely unproven needs to take off dem orange shades.

I totally agree. You want proven teams, you can stop your search with SMU. That there is a proven team with all kinds of interchangeable parts. Meanwhile, we've got what? A measly six players returning from a final four team? Pffft.

I totally agree. You want proven teams, you can stop your search with SMU. That there is a proven team with all kinds of interchangeable parts. Meanwhile, we've got what? A measly six players returning from a final four team? Pffft.

... and three of them are Trevor Grant and Coleman.

Who all got some experience in their first year, playing against a very tough schedule (including the tournament games).

A McD AA, a projected first round pick in the next NBA draft, and a HS Mr. Basketball from his home state with three years with the program. All with PT in a Final Four game. Yep, I don't even need to look at their roster to know SMU has that beat easily.

A McD AA, a projected first round pick in the next NBA draft, and a HS Mr. Basketball from his home state with three years with the program. All with PT in a Final Four game. Yep, I don't even need to look at their roster to know SMU has that beat easily.

As stated numerous times here, if Ennis goes down in the first game, are we still talking about the incredible depth of the SU squad? I don't think we have been given any reason to believe anyone else could step into that spot and guide this team back to a deep run in the tourney, regardless of the amazing depth of big men we actually do have. And for the love of God, I hope we don't find out the hard way.

If you have to resort to potential and high school accolades to make your pointthen youre actually proving mine.

Btw..who really cares if some guy thinks smu is slightly deeper than Syracuse?

If you have to resort to potential and high school accolades to make your pointthen youre actually proving mine.

Btw..who really cares if some guy thinks smu is slightly deeper than Syracuse?

But on what are you basing your estimation that SMU should be ranked higher than SU on that list?

I don't particularly care that someone else thinks SMU should be higher, but I'm a little curious that our own fans, including you, think SU should be lower (in effect arguing that teams like SMU don't have all these flaws you think SU has). It's more just a case of this seeming like an argument between us when it really is not. I don't really care about the list at all and yes I understand that if Ennis goes down, we have little chance of getting a lottery pick to step in for him, but I am equally curious as to what proven Chris Paul type SMU has on their bench to warrant our fans claiming we are a house of cards and other teams in comparison are brick poop houses of strength and depth.

Any team might be deep based on their level of talent.

I think it's likely some of those teams compared with us or some others is like apples and oranges when looking at relative talents levels.

I really don't know or care who plays for SMU. And for all I know they aren't that deep. The number one team on this list is only there by virtue of a monster recruiting class.

But I think it's misleading to say we return six players from a final four team then two of those guys played sparingly and one didn't play at all for the last third of the season.

I really don't know or care who plays for SMU. And for all I know they aren't that deep. The number one team on this list is only there by virtue of a monster recruiting class.

But I think it's misleading to say we return six players from a final four team then two of those guys played sparingly and one didn't play at all for the last third of the season.
I think we saw enough of Grant last year, not to mention the Canada trip, to separate him from the other two. (Plus, Jerami is showing up on many draft prediction sites.)

As stated numerous times here, if Ennis goes down in the first game, are we still talking about the incredible depth of the SU squad? I don't think we have been given any reason to believe anyone else could step into that spot and guide this team back to a deep run in the tourney, regardless of the amazing depth of big men we actually do have. And for the love of God, I hope we don't find out the hard way.
well, if Roberson is as good as advertised, we could play C.J. at the 1. ;)

well, if Roberson is as good as advertised, we could play C.J. at the 1. ;)

If Roberson is as good as advertised, we could make CJ a "bench coach" like Babe Ruth wanted to be. He'd only come in to shoot technicals. Move Cooney to the 5, Chino to PG, and have walkons fill out the rest of the rotation!