ray of hope? | Syracusefan.com

ray of hope?

stuckinbig11

All American
So, I read that Diagne enrolled in a two-year school because he had to enroll in college by August 20 to be able to re-enter the US, and that the NCAA still has not ruled on eligibility based on one course from Senegal. Everyone is very tight-lipped about this. Does the possibility exist that the NCAA will get off their butts and make a ruling, thus allowing him to enroll late at SU?

I heard the same thing, let's hope where there's smoke there's fire, and the NCAA gets off their arses and decides something sooner rather than later.

Time is right for a Bilas tweet.
Sorry for replying to my own post - but would Bilas even be aware of the situation - and if not, could someone here give him a heads up?

Can Obokoh give him a year of elgibility? Oh wait nevermind that will take years to figure out ;)
:joking:

God is watching.

So a kid takes classes in Sengal, then transfers to an accredited basketball powerhouse in the US. If his transcript is good enough for a US high school then it should implicitly be good for college.

andyw715 said:
So a kid takes classes in Sengal, then transfers to an accredited basketball powerhouse in the US. If his transcript is good enough for a US high school then it should implicitly be good for college.

I don't disagree with you but a change would have to be proposed and voted on by college Presidents and their Board of Directors. The much hated APR was the idea, and approved by, the Presidents. The NCAA eligibility center enforces the rules the college Presidents want.

So, I read that Diagne enrolled in a two-year school because he had to enroll in college by August 20 to be able to re-enter the US, and that the NCAA still has not ruled on eligibility based on one course from Senegal. Everyone is very tight-lipped about this. Does the possibility exist that the NCAA will get off their butts and make a ruling, thus allowing him to enroll late at SU?
I wouldn't look for the NCAA to do anything that might benefit SU. If anything they probably sit on it longer. Now, if Diagne was a UK or KU recruit the story might well be different.

I wouldn't look for the NCAA to do anything that might benefit SU. If anything they probably sit on it longer. Now, if Diagne was a UK or KU recruit the story might well be different.

Are you saying the ncaa has a chance to stop being unfair?

I don't disagree with you but a change would have to be proposed and voted on by college Presidents and their Board of Directors. The much hated APR was the idea, and approved by, the Presidents. The NCAA eligibility center enforces the rules the college Presidents want.

You are talking as though this is all black and white with no room for gray. That really isn't the case, is it? I'm pretty sure there isn't a magic matrix that tells the NCAA what a freshman HS class in Senegal needs to contain in order for it to be accepted as suitable for eligibility. It's a matter of interpretation, and requires the use of judgment and critical thinking skills. It other words, it's definitely a grey area.

But far more importantly, we don't even know if the class is acceptable or not because the NCAA sat on their collective asses and didn't do their job. They let this kid down and for the life of me I can't understand why you can't see it this way. Either you are for the student athletes or you aren't. In this case at least, the NCAA most assuredly was NOT on the side of the student athlete.

You are talking as though this is all black and white with no room for gray. That really isn't the case, is it? I'm pretty sure there isn't a magic matrix that tells the NCAA what a freshman HS class in Senegal needs to contain in order for it to be accepted as suitable for eligibility. It's a matter of interpretation, and requires the use of judgment and critical thinking skills. It other words, it's definitely a grey area.

But far more importantly, we don't even know if the class is acceptable or not because the NCAA sat on their collective asses and didn't do their job. They let this kid down and for the life of me I can't understand why you can't see it this way. Either you are for the student athletes or you aren't. In this case at least, the NCAA most assuredly was NOT on the side of the student athlete.
I would like to see Diagne go head to head with Mark Emmert on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader.

I would like to see Diagne go head to head with Mark Emmert on Are You Smarter Than a 5th Grader.

Emmert would end up winning on a technicality because that's probably the only way he's ever won anything in his life.

Emmert would end up winning on a technicality because that's probably the only way he's ever won anything in his life.
Something incompetent or unethical which would somehow result in him not only winning the show, but owning the show.

FairfaxOrange said:
You are talking as though this is all black and white with no room for gray. That really isn't the case, is it? I'm pretty sure there isn't a magic matrix that tells the NCAA what a freshman HS class in Senegal needs to contain in order for it to be accepted as suitable for eligibility. It's a matter of interpretation, and requires the use of judgment and critical thinking skills. It other words, it's definitely a grey area. But far more importantly, we don't even know if the class is acceptable or not because the NCAA sat on their collective asses and didn't do their job. They let this kid down and for the life of me I can't understand why you can't see it this way. Either you are for the student athletes or you aren't. In this case at least, the NCAA most assuredly was NOT on the side of the student athlete.

The rule I was commenting on is black and white. The poster was proposing changing a requirement.

I don't know much about recruiting from HS, but does that mean every HS athlete has his/her transcript scrutinized like that? Especially in the cases of transfers from "normal" HS's to the "sports" schools.

I always wondered, why wouldn't the NCAA allow students who have taken classes in a different country be able to submit these transcripts for approval (or denial) prior to their senior year? There might be a good reason why, but it would make sense to have them be able to submit these classes they took outside of the US for review as early as possible if they are looking to play athletics at the college level.

Its my understanding that this one class, which is the issue at hand, was something he had taken years ago before coming to the US? Why couldn't this process begin a year or even two years ago? The current timeline as it exists in these situations is poorly thought out. I know it would be a lot more work because im sure there are a number of "foreign" players that fall into this category spanning numerous sports but given the $ the NCAA makes as a "non-profit" it might be something they could afford to investigate, pardon the pun.

Unless your name is Cheick Diallo I suppose.

He was enrolled in Senegal in a program that prepares their athletes for going to US high schools and hopefully eventually college, it would be interesting to know if any of their other athletes were accepted to US colleges after taking the same class the NCAA is now questioning for him. If so NCAA would have some splaining to do, Lucy.

SUbear said:
He was enrolled in Senegal in a program that prepares their athletes for going to US high schools and hopefully eventually college, it would be interesting to know if any of their other athletes were accepted to US colleges after taking the same class the NCAA is now questioning for him. If so NCAA would have some splaining to do, Lucy.

Now that would be a real low move and deserving of outrage and an investigation. If that exact course was accepted for other athletes but not Diagne, they should all go to jail.

Now that would be a real low move and deserving of outrage and an investigation. If that exact course was accepted for other athletes but not Diagne, they should all go to jail.

I find it hard to believe that he would be the only athlete to have taken a class in a program designed to promote Senegalese athletes? Do you not find that odd?
I doubt anyone could be jailed because I am not sure what statute would have been broken, however the NCAA could certainly be held civilly liable.

Last edited:
So much for the "we're here for you " student athlete add campaign... Take away that ir hurts SU- they have successfully screwed a young man' life possibly costing him a free education and who knows how much more.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom