Class of 2015 - RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI | Page 10 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2015 RB Dontae Strickland (NJ) Signed LOI

Here's my 2 cents: Leave 44 retired. It was the honorable, venerable thing to do. It's SO unique to this university and it's a story unique in college athletics as a whole. It's a legend. It's a ghost that haunts the field. Leave it a legend and don't compromise the number.

yeah and he was not deserving of it.

That's not really fair. At the time the 44 was used as a recruiting tool and dangled to QB's or RB's who were blue chips. Konrad is arguably the heaviest recruited player that we landed over the past 25 years. He definitely deserved it as a recruit.

The only way the 44 lives on is by using it, not by putting it on a shelf. And it should be used just like it always had been, given to a deserving blue chip recruit. If they falter, so be it. It worked for 50 years and changing it was just a gimmick.

If we land a recruit worthy of 44 and he comes to the hill and tears the ACC apart, that would be absolutely invaluable.

I've been around since Jim Brown, and it was foolish to retire the number. We should have honored the players, just as the basketball team does, but keep using the numbers for deserving recruits. USC hasn't retired number 32, even though they haven't had a lot of recent great backs. If the good Dr goes back to USC, does anyone think he would dare to retire the number 32? He made a mistake, and should acknowledge that fact.

I've been around since Jim Brown, and it was foolish to retire the number. We should have honored the players, just as the basketball team does, but keep using the numbers for deserving recruits. USC hasn't retired number 32, even though they haven't had a lot of recent great backs. If the good Dr goes back to USC, does anyone think he would dare to retire the number 32? He made a mistake, and should acknowledge that fact.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USC_Trojans_football#Heisman_Trophy_winners_and_retired_numbers

USC Heisman Trophy winners and retired numbers
Carson Palmer QB 1999-2002
5 Reggie Bush HB 2003-05(Un-retired) 1
11 Matt Leinart QB 2001-05
12 Charles White RB 1977-79
20 Mike Garrett RB 1963-1965
32 O.J. Simpson RB 1967-68
33 Marcus Allen RB 1978-81

I'm hoping the legendary Glenn Moore gets his statue in the 44 plaza outside of the IPF.

The only way the 44 lives on is by using it, not by putting it on a shelf. And it should be used just like it always had been, given to a deserving blue chip recruit. If they falter, so be it. It worked for 50 years and changing it was just a gimmick.
I think Dontae Strickland is probably the biggest recruit in this class, but he's not a "deserving blue chip recruit". People here think way too highly of the number 44. It's a decent tradition that people over state.

A kid would rather wear his lucky number or high school number than 44.

I think Dontae Strickland is probably the biggest recruit in this class, but he's not a "deserving blue chip recruit". People here think way too highly of the number 44. It's a decent tradition that people over state.

You are easily in the top 5% of most sensible posters on this board -- but I think you're missing the mark on this. I'm not a recruitnik -- who knows if this kid deserves it -- but Syracuse would put asses in the seats for "the next 44." History doesn't matter to a lot of kids -- but why not exploit it for those it does?

You are easily in the top 5% of most sensible posters on this board -- but I think you're missing the mark on this. I'm not a recruitnik -- who knows if this kid deserves it -- but Syracuse would put asses in the seats for "the next 44." History doesn't matter to a lot of kids -- but why not exploit it for those it does?
When you give a true freshman 44, the other running backs that worked their asses off the last 2-3-4 years might not be pleased with it either.

Not to mention the fact that unless it's a top 5 national recruit it's not going to get the casual fans interested and that's who they need to sell tickets to, not you and me on this board.

And if the kid doesn't live up to expectations in his first year? Enormous scrutiny from fans that might ruin him as a player.

The only way I un-retire 44 is if we're giving it to an accomplished upperclassman running back that deserves to wear it. (and I still wouldn't un-retire it)

I disagree. I think the number, if guaranteed, could be a valuable play with recruit of or slightly above Dontae's level. Especially local/Northeast kids.

Edit: I do agree with your points above though, didn't see that post.

bnoro said:
When you give a true freshman 44, the other running backs that worked their asses off the last 2-3-4 years might not be pleased with it either. Not to mention the fact that unless it's a top 5 national recruit it's not going to get the casual fans interested and that's who they need to sell tickets to, not you and me on this board. And if the kid doesn't live up to expectations in his first year? Enormous scrutiny from fans that might ruin him as a player. The only way I un-retire 44 is if we're giving it to an accomplished upperclassman running back that deserves to wear it. (and I still wouldn't un-retire it)

You're making different, unrelated arguments. I responded to: "People here think way too highly of the number 44. Its a decent tradition that people over state."

I grew up in Syracuse -- and plan to return -- but there's simply no reason to go there over Va Teach, Wake, etc. -- save for its tradition. One could literally shake the hand of -- arguably -- the greatest player to ever play the game. And it's just not me, a Syracuse fan, who'll say that -- Jim Brown highlights alone are better than that 10-minute piece Rutgers put together.

I think we both agree not to hang on our laurels -- but "Syracuse" is a big reason Shafer is here (and why we're not UConn) and why he's working his ass off to remain. He's been giving the keys to a Caddie -- which he wants to make purr again.

Last edited:
That's not really fair. At the time the 44 was used as a recruiting tool and dangled to QB's or RB's who were blue chips. Konrad is arguably the heaviest recruited player that we landed over the past 25 years. He definitely deserved it as a recruit.

So you think the legacy of 44 was carried on well by Konrad? He was a heck of a nice guy and a decent player...but he definitely did not live up to the legend, not even close. I feel like every season we were waiting for him to be what he was supposed to be, and it never happened.

I feel it should be a recruiting tool (to the extent any of these kids care at this point) but that it should be earned unless it is an absolute no brainer Heisman type guy.

cuseinchina said:
So you think the legacy of 44 was carried on well by Konrad? He was a heck of a nice guy and a decent player...but he definitely did not live up to the legend, not even close. I feel like every season we were waiting for him to be what he was supposed to be, and it never happened. I feel it should be a recruiting tool (to the extent any of these kids care at this point) but that it should be earned unless it is an absolute no brainer Heisman type guy.

I feel like every season we were waiting for the coaches to turn him loose. He was underutilized IMO. Averaged 6 yards every time he touched the ball. He was never going to be a Brown, Davis or Little, but he was a damn good player.

I feel like every season we were waiting for the coaches to turn him loose. He was underutilized IMO. Averaged 6 yards every time he touched the ball. He was never going to be a Brown, Davis or Little, but he was a damn good player.
Completely agree. He could have been a much bigger star at SU but they didn't utilize him as well as they could have. We had a ton of offensive weapons back then but they still should have been able to get RK more involved

I totally agree. I was also thinking he had some injury issues throughout his career. This article mentions injuries his junior year but I thought he had nagging issues throughout his career. But I could be wrong.

http://articles.sun-sentinel.com/1998-12-31/sports/9812280444_1_jersey-number-injuries-high-school

Restore 44

And anyone who thinks Konrad did represent 44 well is really overthinking the Legend of 44 all together. Rob Konrad could play ball and took snaps in the NFL. If the only way to "live up to wearing 44" is to be an NFL HOF'er than they shoulda hung that shiny shower curtain 44 in the Dome when it was first built.

I have faith it will come back and the ONE tradition this football program has can live on again.

Restore 44

So you think the legacy of 44 was carried on well by Konrad? He was a heck of a nice guy and a decent player...but he definitely did not live up to the legend, not even close. I feel like every season we were waiting for him to be what he was supposed to be, and it never happened.

I feel it should be a recruiting tool (to the extent any of these kids care at this point) but that it should be earned unless it is an absolute no brainer Heisman type guy.

It's not about being deserving or undeserving as a player once you're in the program, it's about keeping the tradition alive. The tradition was to give it to a deserving blue chip recruit. That shouldn't have been changed. There was no reason to change it. When the tradition is to give it to a high school player before he hits the field, you're going to have some stinkers. When the program hits a down cycle, you're going to have some stinkers.

Floyd and Jim are not getting any younger. If this thing sits on the shelf for another 20 years, it becomes nothing more than a "nice to see" in a trophy case. It was a living tradition and it needs to return to that.

What are the rules in college--can any position use any number?

Just throwing out ideas, but what if you just made it like a glorified team captain. Players vote who the most deserving is, regardless of position. The game has changed, and the days of the running back are pretty much over. We can't wait for the next Jim Brown.

Given the advantage of 20:20 hindsight, which SU players since Rob Konrad were deserving to wear #44? Reyes? Carter? Brinkley? Rhodes?

It's not about being deserving or undeserving as a player once you're in the program, it's about keeping the tradition alive. The tradition was to give it to a deserving blue chip recruit. That shouldn't have been changed. There was no reason to change it. When the tradition is to give it to a high school player before he hits the field, you're going to have some stinkers. When the program hits a down cycle, you're going to have some stinkers.

Floyd and Jim are not getting any younger. If this thing sits on the shelf for another 20 years, it becomes nothing more than a "nice to see" in a trophy case. It was a living tradition and it needs to return to that.
It worked twice, Brown to Davis and Davis to Little.

bnoro said:
When you give a true freshman 44, the other running backs that worked their asses off the last 2-3-4 years might not be pleased with it either. Not to mention the fact that unless it's a top 5 national recruit it's not going to get the casual fans interested and that's who they need to sell tickets to, not you and me on this board. And if the kid doesn't live up to expectations in his first year? Enormous scrutiny from fans that might ruin him as a player. The only way I un-retire 44 is if we're giving it to an accomplished upperclassman running back that deserves to wear it. (and I still wouldn't un-retire it)

Eh. You may be right about how we unretire it, but surprisingly, other upperclassmen haven't jumped off the top of Brewster Hall when it was awarded in the past.

unless u had a connection to SU or were 60+, no one cared.

I would have loved to see him used at TB getting 15-20 carries a game. Very, very good speed for a guy his size.

Given the advantage of 20:20 hindsight, which SU players since Rob Konrad were deserving to wear #44? Reyes? Carter? Brinkley? Rhodes?
...or on the other side of the coin, didn't Mandell Robinson wear 44?