Class of 2023 - RB T.J. Conley (NY: Fayetteville-Manlius) | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2023 RB T.J. Conley (NY: Fayetteville-Manlius)

In the close to 40 years I have been following SU football, Freeney and Conley(when he was healthy) are the two best defensive players I have seen at SU. no disrespect to greats like Tim Green who are obviously right up there
I think Freeney had the most dominating season of any SU defensive player I have seen. His senior year he was, IMHO, the best player in college football.

Just dominated games. Opposing teams had game plans specifically to try and mitigate what he could do.

I think Dan was the most promising defensive player at Syracuse I have ever seen. He was playing at a really high level as a frosh. God knows what he could have done had he stayed healthy.

I think his first knee injury happened against Maryland at Bryd Stadium (grass) in a night game. That is how I remember it anyway. What might have been.

He was still a really good player after he came back from injury after injury but I think he lost a half step after that first blown out knee.

Jim Collins was a largely forgotten player these days but he was an amazing MLB for Frank Maloney in the 1970s. Made an amazing number of tackles. Played in the NFL for a while too.

In the close to 40 years I have been following SU football, Freeney and Conley(when he was healthy) are the two best defensive players I have seen at SU. no disrespect to greats like Tim Green who are obviously right up there
The 2 interception game against Miami was like watching one of those old NFL highlight films, it was really a heroic performance. Never forget that game.

I think Freeney had the most dominating season of any SU defensive player I have seen. His senior year he was, IMHO, the best player in college football.

Just dominated games. Opposing teams had game plans specifically to try and mitigate what he could do.

I think Dan was the most promising defensive player at Syracuse I have ever seen. He was playing at a really high level as a frosh. God knows what he could have done had he stayed healthy.

I think his first knee injury happened against Maryland at Bryd Stadium (grass) in a night game. That is how I remember it anyway. What might have been.

He was still a really good player after he came back from injury after injury but I think he lost a half step after that first blown out knee.

Jim Collins was a largely forgotten player these days but he was an amazing MLB for Frank Maloney in the 1970s. Made an amazing number of tackles. Played in the NFL for a while too.
Totally agree with you on Jim Collins. Fantastic football player and few remember him.

You are spot on on Conley’s first injury. It was a non-contact injury at Maryland. My recollection is that he pulled up to avoid contact with a player that was either going down or out of bounds and he messed up his knee. I remember an interview with him years later where he said his lesson learned was always go full speed, don’t let up. Such a shame.

I’ve watched SU football as long as you have. And Conley was one of my all time favorites. Such heart and determination. To come back after all those injuries and play at such a high level was incredible. I was excited when he was named an assistant coach at SU. Then he was fired? Moved on? I can’t remember what happened?

Had Vick come here, and been in the same team as Freeney, Paul might have gotten a NC, and the whole trajectory of SU FB is different.
I agree on Freeney being the best player in CFB that year.

Back to TJ Conley, is there really any possibility SU doesn’t offer him?
I’m typing this as I watch the Pitt lb from Syracuse anchor their defense.

Back to TJ Conley, is there really any possibility SU doesn’t offer him?
I’m typing this as I watch the Pitt lb from Syracuse anchor their defense.
Sounds like there is interest. RB is not really a position of need but Tj is having a tremendous season and looks like he belongs. My guess is we won’t formally offer unless he decides to play here.

Sounds like there is interest. RB is not really a position of need but Tj is having a tremendous season and looks like he belongs. My guess is we won’t formally offer unless he decides to play here.
I really don’t get not offering now. It’s not like we have 4 and 5 star rbs beating down the doors.

I’m not being a wiseazz but you think RB is not a position of need? Beyond Tucker, it feels like there is a lot of hope that things work out with Allen and Price and hopefully Parkman and Daniels.

Hopefully the coaches will watch Conley play in the dome next Friday night!! Perfect opportunity. It’s not like the current team is showing they are any better.

I’m not being a wiseazz but you think RB is not a position of need? Beyond Tucker, it feels like there is a lot of hope that things work out with Allen and Price and hopefully Parkman and Daniels.
Not for this class. As you mention, we already have 2 RBs in the class. Adding another is indeed less than ideal. Especially when we have, possibly 3 other RBs returning next year.

There are limits on the number of scholarships we can give. We should be giving out one for an RB every class. That this is a small class makes this even more important.

That said, Parkman or Daniels could get moved to other positions. Conley could too. All are good enough athletes to play a couple of spots. Plus, we are in an era where far more transfers should be expected and planned for.

This could work out. Hope it does. I am a big fan of TJ.

Agreed kids his size can play safety, slot, wideout and other positions. I don’t understand why SU would have second thoughts offering a talented legacy.

They probably don‘t want to offer unless he will commit. Our lack of success with legacy recruits is well chronicled.

Isn’t this the week that the lax NLI’s get signed? If so, SU doesn’t have much time.

Isn’t this the week that the lax NLI’s get signed? If so, SU doesn’t have much time.

LAX signing period runs from Nov 9, 2022 to Aug 1, 2023.

If TJ wants to explore his football options, he can wait before signing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom