Realistically, who's coming our way? | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Realistically, who's coming our way?

Don't listen to him Nicknack, he is trying to dazzle you with his fancy doctor talk.

Yes, but who's cheek is he referring to?

What was this thread about again?? Oh, who cares... in 19 minutes I am leaving the confines of my office (skipping out an hour early), 26 minutes I will be cracking open a 25oz Coors Light and in 89 minutes, teeing off and on my pursuit of cracking 90 today.

I agree with this -- especially on the Dome -- to a large extent but the one thing I can't quite figure out is why playing zone for a year or two seems to make guys awful defenders on the NBA level. These kids are, for all intents and purposes, professional basketball players before they ever get to the hill for the most part -- high school basketball factories, aau, year-round play, etc. -- and presumably they are playing M2M the vast majority of that time.

Add to that the fact that you still have to play defense in the zone -- it's certainly not just standing around -- and the fact that a good chunk of defense is effort and attentiveness, and I struggle to figure out what happens that makes kids such awful M2M defenders at the next level.

My theory is that, while the zone gets dinged for it, it has more to do with the type of player JB loves -- long, lean. Those don't seem to hit as often at the NBA level where explosiveness seems to reign. Guys like Wallace and Hak were awesome college players but aren't super quick.

Anyway, just kind of strange, IMO.

I think your theory or theories could be spot on here. Those are the types Boeheim likes...long gliders and not necessarily the explosion or quickness that translates to the NBA. With the NBA seeming to covet those stretch 4's more and more; perhaps we are going to have more and more success with those McCullough/Lydon types who can really shoot!

So, again, I am surprised at times how well we actually do since I am sure the negative recruiting re: zone/poor M2M skills in NBA is a true potential deterrent to deal with.

Seriously, coming off a Final 4, SU should almost be able to pick and choose recruits.

These aren't blue chip players we're looking at. They should land in our lap.

Makes me wonder.

Reminds me of the '04 class after wining the ship. 2 Wrights sure made a wrong. I'll show myself out now.

Well, those players you speak of, the Melos, Durants, etc only one comes up every few years or so.
The ones that turn into All-NBA First Teamers? Sure. But when is the last time we got someone like a Jahlil Okafor, or Jabari Parker, or Julius Randal, or MKG, or Aaron Gordon, etc., etc. It just seems like we live in the 20-50 range, when the pedigree of the program suggests we could recruit effectively in the 1-20 range. But that would generally require a significant effort to recruit on a more national scale. That's my point, really. And I understand it ignores situations where we've been involved with top talents (Noel and Davis) only to have some backroom nonsense scuttle the recruitment. But you can't hit a home run if the bat stays on your shoulder.

NECuse said:
The ones that turn into All-NBA First Teamers? Sure. But when is the last time we got someone like a Jahlil Okafor, or Jabari Parker, or Julius Randal, or MKG, or Aaron Gordon, etc., etc. It just seems like we live in the 20-50 range, when the pedigree of the program suggests we could recruit effectively in the 1-20 range. But that would generally require a significant effort to recruit on a more national scale. That's my point, really. And I understand it ignores situations where we've been involved with top talents (Noel and Davis) only to have some backroom nonsense scuttle the recruitment. But you can't hit a home run if the bat stays on your shoulder.

Sometimes a good at bat means an RBI single ;).

Right now, but next season he will have to step up. I think the offense will go through Battle or Howard with kick outs or off-screens to Lydon. Lydon has to be a credible 3-point threat next season to make up the lost production from TC and G. Battle or Howard will have to be able to drive to the rim. Battle driving to the rim should be his best part of his game. Maybe Moyer will be able to make credible contributions also.

I'm still not 100% sure Malachi is coming back. If Malachi is coming back it takes a lot of pressure away from Lydon having to step up. Coleman and Roberson will be about the same. Paschal is probably not going to contribute much on offense.

Battle driving to the rim and Lydon making 3's is going to be a big part of our offense. I think our ability to drive to the rim 2015-16 was just okay. I think if Battle can bring it then it will really help us. Plus Howard and Battle should be able to create some transition fast-break offense also.
What you're describing doesn't sound like a number 1 option to me. It sounds like a role player. I agree that Lydon has to be a threat from three and that he needs to expand his role, but if he is the guy we expect to have as our first option, I think we'll be in trouble.

Thompson would not play over Roberson or Chukwu.
I'll take your word on that. You probably know more about them than me. Is Thompson a good enough inside scorer that he could warrant significant minutes considering how much of a weakness inside scoring was?

I stand by my other comment. Other schools are able to recruit high level guys despite having competition at their position. I don't understand why the poster I responded to thinks we have to be different.

Thompson isn't a blue chip. I've heard nothing but great reviews coming out of Cuse about Chukwu. I fully expect Roberson to beast next year. Thompson isn't starting over either and will have to compete with Moyer and/or Lydon playing multiple positions. Moyer is a better player than Thompson even though one should be a 3 and the other 4, but we play pretty interchangeable there so Moyer would be his competition for playing time.
I got the impression Chukwu was a defensive guy that is raw on offense. Are you hearing different? I think Roberson will be exactly what we saw at the end of this year, a great rebounder that has very little feel for offense. Even if Thompson wouldn't start it seems like he could get significant minutes when we needed inside scoring, since that was a weakness this year and nobody currently on the roster will fix that, and that would differentiate him from Moyer who it seems would be competing more with Lydon and Richardson. All of this is assuming that Moyer is more a perimeter guy while Thompson is more of a paint guy, so feel free to correct me if those assumptions are wrong.

I got the impression Chukwu was a defensive guy that is raw on offense. Are you hearing different? I think Roberson will be exactly what we saw at the end of this year, a great rebounder that has very little feel for offense. Even if Thompson wouldn't start it seems like he could get significant minutes when we needed inside scoring, since that was a weakness this year and nobody currently on the roster will fix that, and that would differentiate him from Moyer who it seems would be competing more with Lydon and Richardson. All of this is assuming that Moyer is more a perimeter guy while Thompson is more of a paint guy, so feel free to correct me if those assumptions are wrong.
Your evaluation of Chukwu is pretty spot on. However, I think he is just what the dr ordered for our zone. I think his rejections will spur our fast break. As for Roberson at the 4, I think he will improve some but we will also see lydon at the 4.

Your evaluation of Chukwu is pretty spot on. However, I think he is just what the dr ordered for our zone. I think his rejections will spur our fast break. As for Roberson at the 4, I think he will improve some but we will also see lydon at the 4.
From everything I've read in this thread the last few minutes it sounds like Thompson isn't a possibility anymore so I suppose my line of thought doesn't matter, but I thought Thompson could have a shot to play a lot because he may have had a skillset that none of our current interior players have that addressed a significant weakness we're carrying into next year. Thanks for the feedback.

I think JB likes a mix of program guys (lower level 4 year guys) mixed in with the one and done (or two and done) guys. It has been a good formula for him for a long time. We could be with out Roberson, Coleman, Battle, Lydon and Richardson after next year. Need some more guys that will stick around and develop like Howard and Moyer.

I think JB likes a mix of program guys (lower level 4 year guys) mixed in with the one and done (or two and done) guys. It has been a good formula for him for a long time. We could be with out Roberson, Coleman, Battle, Lydon and Richardson after next year. Need some more guys that will stick around and develop like Howard and Moyer.
I agree. It's great when we can get a one and done caliber recruit, but many years I'll look at our Gbinije, Cooney, CJ Fair, Demetris Nichols, Kris Joseph, type of player and think " I'd rather have this kid leading our team than almost any Fr out there"

JB doesn't seem like the type to "retire on active duty."

He has clearly given up on some recent recruits (Porter, for instance), who are not within our traditional NYC to DC footprint.

Nah.

I'm expecting us to fill all three with quality players. Just because there isn't chatter on the board doesn't mean that recruiting isn't happening behind the scenes--possibly with prospects the board isn't keyed in on. It just means that the board recruitniks--who normally have very solid data--aren't privy to what's happening. There is zero chance that we get shut out. I expect all three spots to be filled.

With Twitter these days, you usually have an idea when something's going on, and it has been quiet.

Tony Bradley committed to UNC (5 Star out of Florida) and they have offers out to Bolden and Ferguson (both 5 star).

If you look at 2017, they already have a verbal from one 5 Star recruit (Felton) and offers out to four others.

I think most of the fanbase is generally happy with how the staff has recruited in recent years. They're great in finding lightly recruited gems that don't stand out in rankings (Lydon, Fair, Grant) and we continue to find success within the Northeast Corridor. But I'd love to see a return to the days where we don't care where a recruit lives (Detroit, Cali, Texas, etc.). Syracuse is a "Name". We have a HOF coach, a strong staff, rabid fan base, great facilities, huge alumni support (from within and outside the program), and are a perennial top-15 team that has had more than its fair share of tournament success. I don't think it's too much to capitalize of this most recent Final 4 run by going after consensus 5 star players, wherever they may live.

In terms of next year, that window is just about closed. Taurean's ship has sailed, so now it's likely Dembele and a grad transfer, if anything, to round out next years roster. The big class we should be looking at is 2017. Lots of possibilities there.

It seems like we gave up recruiting Michigan about a decade ago, and that area was very good to us.

It seems like we gave up recruiting Michigan about a decade ago, and that area was very good to us.
It likely coincided to Izzo taking over at Michigan State. Once he took over, Michigan kids started dreaming of playing for Michigan State.

It likely coincided to Izzo taking over at Michigan State. Once he took over, Michigan kids started dreaming of playing for Michigan State.

They got Devendorf out of there, can't think of anyone else off the top of my head

They got Devendorf out of there, can't think of anyone else off the top of my head

DC and Burgan back in the day, followed up by stud Winfred Walton [who never played here], Thues, and Devendorf.

One absolute superstar, two multi-year starters, one potential star who busted, and a guy who was marginal.

Am I leaving anybody out?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom