Reality Check | Syracusefan.com

Reality Check

newmexicuse

All Conference
Everybody knew going into the season that it would be a sub-standard year by Cuse standards.

Bottom line - if we look at the talent, there just isn't enough of it.

G - he is probably our best player notwithstanding his recent slump. Problem is that he really isn't a true PG, and as such, he doesn't facilitate enough for others, which begs the question- what others ?
He should, in a perfect world, be playing one of the wing positions.

Malachi - arguably our next best player. He is playing the three & hitting the glass much better than I had expected from him. He has gotten his stroke from trey range. In terms of meeting and exceeding expectations, he is probably our player of the year so far.

Roberson - so close, but he just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor. I thought he would have broken out to be something like a 15 & 9 player this season. His boardwork is there, even if it is a bit inconsistent, but his scoring is too erratic......maybe next year.

Cooney - he has the occasional light up games as we saw yesterday, but overall he is solid, but the big shortcoming is the lack of progression over the course of his career. He simply has failed to either become more consistent or to expand his game.

So, if we look at our big four - what have we got ? Basically three 2Gs, two of whom are playing out of their best position and an inconsistent PF.

Next we we come to DC2. The big positive here is that his health seems to be holding up. Heaven help us if the knee problems return. The injuries have diminished his athleticism and made him a shadow of the player he might have been. He should really be a backup 5 in terms of what he now brings to the table. On this team he is a starter.

Lydon - hard to believe that strong performances against cupcakes had people here worrying he would be a one & done. He will be a very nice collegiate player next year or the year after, but he so far he plays like a frosh when the going gets tough. Not his fault, he just doesn't get have the muscle or physical maturity to play with the big boys. It is really painful to watch him try and play the 5 defensively. He should be playing the three now, and maybe the four next season.

The rest - Frank, KJ, and CO are absolute non-factors this season.

So, what have we got - only four players with legitimate starting talent, two of those playing out of position, and no semblance of a capable bench.

How did we get into this situation recruitingwise ?????

Add in the fact, that we have in some ways great coaching, but nonetheless, inflexible coaching tied to overly tight rotations and no willingness to depart from the Zone under any circumstances. Heck, even in the 2003 NC run, we had a couple of games we we turned it around by going M2M for spurts.

Nuff said.

Last edited:
Everybody knew going into the season that it would be a sub-standard year by Cuse standards.

Bottom line - if we look at the talent, there jus isn't enough of it.

G - he is proably our best player notwithstanding his recent slump. Problem is that he really isn't a true PG, and as such, he doesn't faciliate enough for others, which begs the question- what others ?

Malachi - arguably our next best player. He is playing the three & hitting the glass much better than I had expected from him. He has gotten his stroke from trey range. In terms of meeting and exceeding expectations, he is probably our player of the year so far.

Roberson - so close, but he just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor. I thought he would have broken out to be something like a 15 & 9 player this season. His boardwork is there, even if it is a bit inconsistant, but his scoring is too erratic...maybe next year.

Cooney - he has the occaisional light up games as we saw yesterday, but overall he is solid, but the big shortcoming is the lack of progression over the course of his career. He simply has failed to either become more consistant or to expand our game.

So, if we look at our big four - what have we got ? Basically three 2Gs, two of whom are playing out of their best position and an inconsistant PF.

Next we we come to DC2. The big positive here is that his health seems to be holding up. Heaven help us if the knee problems return. The injuries have diminished his athleticism and made ehim a shadow of the player he might have been. He should really be a backup 5 in terms of what he now brings to the table. On this team he is a starter.

Lydon - hard to believe that strong performances against cupcakes had people here worrying he would be a one & done. He will be a very nice collegiate player next year or the year after, but he so far he plays like a frosh when the going gets tough. Not his fault, he just doesn't get have the muscle or physical maturity to play with the big boys. It is really painful to watch him try and play the 5 defensively. He should be playing the three now, and maybe the four next season.

So, what have we got - only four palyers with legitimate starting talent, two of those playing out of position, and no semblance of a capable bench.

Add in the fact, that we have in some ways great coaching, but nonetheless, inflexable coaching tied to overly tight rotations and no willingness to depart from the Zone under any circumstances. Heck, even in the 20003 NC run, we had a coupel of games we we turned it around by going M2M for spurts.

Nuff said.
Anyone who didnt think the ncaa crap and the switch over to the acc wouldnt have a BIG impact on recruiting is truly a homer. I can tell im a pretty decent SU fan because i underestimated it all.

Just gotta flip it all around, it doesnt take long. Ie just look at K/duk. For a # of years he was losing most of the big recruiting battles against cal/uk such that cal had the top class, what, 3-4 years in a row. Poor k. But hes flipped that around such that k has had a couple top classes lately over cal and K now has more titles than cal in the time cal has been at uk, 2 to 1. Its good to be k!!

Speaking of which, i thought K and JB were great buds? We all know K is untouchable within the ncaa, heck the ncaa must root for him to win titles ratings wise. So if K is so powerful/respected/untouchable within ncaa, how did his good bud JB get hammered so hard by ncaa? Why didnt K do somethin about that? Exert a tiny bit of his considerable influence?....couldnt be that JB going farther in ncaas in '12 and 13 than poor k and JB switching over to the acc turf wars had anything to do w it?? Lol

Last edited:

Bottom line - if we look at the talent, there just isn't enough of it.

G - he is probably our best player notwithstanding his recent slump. Problem is that he really isn't a true PG, and as such, he doesn't facilitate enough for others, which begs the question- what others ?

Roberson - so close, but he just doesn't seem to have the "it" factor. I thought he would have broken out to be something like a 15 & 9 player this season. His boardwork is there, even if it is a bit inconsistent, but his scoring is too erratic...maybe next year.

Cooney - he has the occasional light up games as we saw yesterday, but overall he is solid, but the big shortcoming is the lack of progression over the course of his career. He simply has failed to either become more consistent or to expand his game.

So, if we look at our big four - what have we got ? Basically three 2Gs, two of whom are playing out of their best position and an inconsistent PF.

Next we we come to DC2. The big positive here is that his health seems to be holding up. Heaven help us if the knee problems return. The injuries have diminished his athleticism and made him a shadow of the player he might have been. He should really be a backup 5 in terms of what he now brings to the table. On this team he is a starter.

So, what have we got - only four players with legitimate starting talent, two of those playing out of position, and no semblance of a capable bench.

Add in the fact, that we have in some ways great coaching, but nonetheless, inflexible coaching tied to overly tight rotations and no willingness to depart from the Zone under any circumstances. Heck, even in the 2003 NC run, we had a couple of games we we turned it around by going M2M for spurts.

Nuff said.

giphy.gif

I didn't know what kind of team we had, I thought for sure we would be a tournament team, I think going in everyone believed the biggest xfactor was Dc, and he just hasn't given us enough.

I didn't know what kind of team we had, I thought for sure we would be a tournament team, I think going in everyone believed the biggest xfactor was Dc, and he just hasn't given us enough.

I thought the same thing about DC, problem is he is just one of the many issues that have hit us this year.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom