Really, Carmelo, are you serious? | Syracusefan.com

Really, Carmelo, are you serious?

seems like a bit of a joke since he moved to baltimore when he was 8. i doubt he even remembers living in nyc.

Should be a joke but it appears he's serious. Oh Carmelo, lol.

Oh wow, I saw the headline and i thought he just meant they had a discussion as friends and he was for him going to Cleveland. This is..this is something

He didn't exactly say what the headline suggests. C'mon.

Why do people need to have an opinion on everything. Carmelo and Lebron hang out. Friends make impressions on each other. Why are people having knee-jerk reactions?

The story seems to be pushing an agenda. I love the LeBron storyline but I'm not naive enough to believe it's pure altruism as the author suggests.

Why do people need to have an opinion on everything. Carmelo and Lebron hang out. Friends make impressions on each other. Why are people having knee-jerk reactions?

Agreed. I think it's a stretch to interpret that article in the spin that the author is presenting.

It's always struck me since they came into the league 11 years ago that Carmelo has seemed obsessed with LeBron getting more attention and acclaim instead of letting it go and realizing he's got a nice slice of the pie, too. This borders on delusuional. http://sports.yahoo.com/blogs/nba-b...n-james-s-cleveland-homecoming-013606169.html
So, what's so wrong about Melo's reply to Strahan's leading question? And LaBron did spurn his hometown before Melo embraced his. Melo could easily have jumped to a contender this year, but he stayed "at home."

So, what's so wrong about Melo's reply to Strahan's leading question? And LaBron did spurn his hometown before Melo embraced his. Melo could easily have jumped to a contender this year, but he stayed "at home."

Well, one thing I must say -- BMORE is Melo's hometown.

he is from NY moved to Baltimore when he was 8 years old.

I think he moved there even earlier than that. Regardless he grew up and was raised in Baltimore. He basically "repped" Baltimore -- until it was time to sign with the Knicks (good marketing). He doesn't have the "WB" (West Baltimore) tattoo for nothing.

I think he moved there even earlier than that. Regardless he grew up and was raised in Baltimore. He basically "repped" Baltimore -- until it was time to sign with the Knicks (good marketing). He doesn't have the "WB" (West Baltimore) tattoo for nothing.
I thought he was younger too till I googled it.

Last edited by a moderator:
try google it says 8

Regardless -- 8 or not -- he was just a child in Brooklyn-- he spent his formative years in Maryland. And I say this as someone who moved from BK at a young age also (and live there now).

They hang out? Where, when? I'd bet the last time LeBron "hung out" with Carmelo was on the court during the season.

John Lithgow was born in Rochester. His family moved to Ohio when he was a small child, He graduated from high school in Princeton, NJ. He's a Rochester native, I certainly wouldn't consider him as being from here.

I lived in Ohio for 8 years if I was him I would say I am from Rochester...lol Also I wasn't arguing that he was or wasn't from NY just that he moved to Baltimore at 8

Last edited by a moderator:
He didn't exactly say what the headline suggests. C'mon.
He said precisely what the headline suggests, Ryan.

STRAHAN: ... watching LeBron go back to Cleveland, did that affect your decision on staying in New York, and did you learn anything from watching LeBron go back home?
Anthony: No. Honestly, I think it was the other way around. I think he saw when I came back home to New York and saw the response and saw the reaction and saw how at peace I was when I came back home. ... I’m pretty sure he looked at that moment and saw that that was a very special moment, and he had the opportunity to go back home himself and regain that love.

Love ya, bro, even though we've only "met" on here, but I think your disdain for Cleveland taints your perspective.

Let's not forget Melo's other NY connection. He played at and helped NYs college team win the NCAA championship. Thus another reason for him to identify with NY.

He said precisely what the headline suggests, Ryan.

STRAHAN: ... watching LeBron go back to Cleveland, did that affect your decision on staying in New York, and did you learn anything from watching LeBron go back home?
Anthony: No. Honestly, I think it was the other way around. I think he saw when I came back home to New York and saw the response and saw the reaction and saw how at peace I was when I came back home. ... I’m pretty sure he looked at that moment and saw that that was a very special moment, and he had the opportunity to go back home himself and regain that love.

Love ya, bro, even though we've only "met" on here, but I think your disdain for Cleveland taints your perspective.

That doesn't have anything to do with it... although to the contrary, I think your pro-Bron at all costs bias is showing! ; )

Re-read that quote in context. Strahan asks him if Lebron's decision influenced his decision to stay with NY. Carmelo says no, if anything my decision to come here a few years ago and have a good experience may have indirectly weighed into his decision now, years later, to return home. Nowhere does he come anywhere close to claiming that he "inspired" Lebron's decision to return to Cleveland, or that he was directly involved in any way. People read what they want to see [not calling you out--just making a general observation], but I think that interpretive spin on Carmelo's comments constitute really reading into what he was saying, and ignoring the context of the question in lieu of focusing only on one statement in a vacuum.

Just my two cents. Carmelo is a lightning rod for a variety of reasons [perceived as a selfish gunner / volume scorer who hasn't had great postseason success up until this point in his professional career, has never really been able to "coexist" with another star effectively, and of course--he self-selected his way into the most brutal city of media introspection that there is], but this to me seems like a lot of ado over nothing.

On a much more important note, how are things with you??? How are you feeling? I'm in the dementia stage of chronic sleep deprivation with an 8-week old who's a sleep fighter...

Otherwise, all is well! Hope the same is true on your end, my man.

My only question RF is what other "star" did Melo ever have to coexist with. The only ones I can think of are the ones he played with on the Olympic teams. He played very well with all of them.

That doesn't have anything to do with it... although to the contrary, I think your pro-Bron at all costs bias is showing! ; )

Re-read that quote in context. Strahan asks him if Lebron's decision influenced his decision to stay with NY. Carmelo says no, if anything my decision to come here a few years ago and have a good experience may have indirectly weighed into his decision now, years later, to return home. Nowhere does he come anywhere close to claiming that he "inspired" Lebron's decision to return to Cleveland, or that he was directly involved in any way. People read what they want to see [not calling you out--just making a general observation], but I think that interpretive spin on Carmelo's comments constitute really reading into what he was saying, and ignoring the context of the question in lieu of focusing only on one statement in a vacuum.

Just my two cents. Carmelo is a lightning rod for a variety of reasons [perceived as a selfish gunner / volume scorer who hasn't had great postseason success up until this point in his professional career, has never really been able to "coexist" with another star effectively, and of course--he self-selected his way into the most brutal city of media introspection that there is], but this to me seems like a lot of ado over nothing.

On a much more important note, how are things with you??? How are you feeling? I'm in the dementia stage of chronic sleep deprivation with an 8-week old who's a sleep fighter...

Otherwise, all is well! Hope the same is true on your end, my man.

Pro-LBJ bias? Guilty as charged, but legitimate reasons to be a LeBron fan and defender, particularly on a board wher it took years for many to accept and admit that as special as Carmelo is, he's \not LBJ, and that's OK, he makes more money than LeBron, he's an elite scorer, but I think he's wasted too much time not being able to accept that he's not the best player in the league and will never be. He has a lot going for him, though, is getting richer and richer, he'll be remembered and have a legacy. Hanging onto jealousy and denial is a waste of energy. Nothing wrong with bring one of the best and financially set for life. Players are never going to gravitate to and want to play with Carmelo, like they do with LBJ.

Mazel tov on papahood, but my sympathy on the sleep deprivation. I just took a ambien for you by proxy, hope it works.

As for me, feeling great, Doing some freelance writing, diggin the perks of aging (Social Security and Medicare ... and my Medicare Advantage $25 annual Y membership. Feel as if I won the gym lottery, working out at least 5 days a week, carpe diemin', great "girlfriend" (must be a better term for a woman in her 6os, life is good. Last CT scan in January showed all's well, very well, December will be 4 years post-chemo, no CT scan planned, that lessens the stress greatly. It's a wunnerful life indeed, my friend, hope you'll be sleeping again soon.

The headline of the article is misleading. Melo was, more or less, speculating that his return to NYC, and the fan's reception, might have played a factor in LeBron's decision. Given their relatively close relationship, that's not a far-fetched assumption.

Also, don't forget the interviewer had asked Melo if LeBron's return to Cleveland influenced his decision, which puts Melo's response in context. If Melo's response is ridiculous, then the question is equally ridiculous.

Cuse13078 said:
I was 8 years old...running with...a dime in my hand...into the bus stop to pick up a paper for my old man...

The question is pretty ridiculous, but the Melo/Lebron situations are completely different. I don't think it had even .01% to do with Lebron coming back to Cleveland. (And I dont think Lebron going to Cleveland had .01% to do with Melo re-signing with the Knicks)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom