Reason for QB switch on 4th down | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Reason for QB switch on 4th down

“How dare you put the loss on one person! You really are a...”

*Just kidding. Not really, but that’s what you weirdly said to me when I correctly pointed out that we’ll have a better backup QB next year.

I’ll take an edible arrangement as an apology.

Touché

zach posted 383 yds and 3tds. and he saved a TD on his 1st pick by throwing himself in front of that bus rolling down the sidelines. that was gutsy. both picks were nice defensive reads and not god awful throws into double coverage. again he played ok.
The 1st was a pretty terrible throw & Dungey would've done more than tackle, he'd have stripped the ball right back ;)

All seriousness, Zack certainly played well enough to win & would have if our D put forth any of their previous 9 performances this year. Call me crazy, but I think ED being out played a minor role in the D's lack of intensity. The entire team really does feed off of him & his energy always seems to pump them up. I just didn't get that vibe from them today for the 1st time all year. Guys weren't even excited or celebrating the few plays we made on D....or on Offense for that matter outside of Elmore's TD. That's the most subdued I've ever seen Ish after his TD, same with Strick & Pierce on both of his. Just a real lack of energy today.

Second half, Wake Forest’s bigger line jumped and all put their hands up. Their hands were down first half. Zach at his size had issues from where I sat, seeing the field, his vision seemed to be obscured so balls were tipped and misthrown ( is that a word?).

The 1st was a pretty terrible throw & Dungey would've done more than tackle, he'd have stripped the ball right back ;)

All seriousness, Zack certainly played well enough to win & would have if our D put forth any of their previous 9 performances this year. Call me crazy, but I think ED being out played a minor role in the D's lack of intensity. The entire team really does feed off of him & his energy always seems to pump them up. I just didn't get that vibe from them today for the 1st time all year. Guys weren't even excited or celebrating the few plays we made on D...or on Offense for that matter outside of Elmore's TD. That's the most subdued I've ever seen Ish after his TD, same with Strick & Pierce on both of his. Just a real lack of energy today.

Weird. And hearing that Mahoney found out he was starting 15 minutes before the game...weird.

The whole game was weird.

Weird. And hearing that Mahoney found out he was starting 15 minutes before the game...weird.

The whole game was weird.
I think it's clear that the plan was always to see how Dungey felt going through warmups & then make a decision. He looked good without pads in those initial twitter vids but looked to be hobbling pretty noticeably taking reps with the 1s in full pads.

That was THE single most baffling coaching decision I've ever seen in my life. Made no sense at the time and still makes no sense.

Dino is the last chance we have to become relevant again so I'm not gonna freak out... but man, you just cannot do that.

If you wanna pull somebody from the game there were plenty of choices on the defensive side Coach.

His first pick was off his back foot right to the lb and his 2nd was telegraphed. Both bad plays by him though the 2nd was a good defensive play. Ward doesn’t have anyone on D who can make that same play. (And by the way, that big safety is bigger than our LBs)

He had 86 yards passing in the 2nd half and led the team to 3 points plus the two INTs. Not good.

The 33-60 is obviously barely above 50%
That was a safety? Jesus.

His first pick was off his back foot right to the lb and his 2nd was telegraphed. Both bad plays by him though the 2nd was a good defensive play. Ward doesn’t have anyone on D who can make that same play. (And by the way, that big safety is bigger than our LBs)

He had 86 yards passing in the 2nd half and led the team to 3 points plus the two INTs. Not good.

^^^ Fair enough but Mahoney was good for 41 points and if our receivers don't make two horrible drops on the first drive and miss field goal then that number jumps to at least 44. He more than put enough points on the board...if our defense from the last 5 games bothered to show up this game is a W.

I thought the series around the 35 yard line when Mahoney threw three straight passes to the end zone was mind boggling. Butler just made the the throw for the first down and we then proceed to throw three wild passes. It was a momentum changing series.

Mahoney put up almost no pts in the second half, maybe coach was desparate and decided a change was needed to spark a win. Unusual thing to do, but I like the decision.

That was THE single most baffling coaching decision I've ever seen in my life. Made no sense at the time and still makes no sense.

Dino is the last chance we have to become relevant again so I'm not gonna freak out... but man, you just cannot do that.

If you wanna pull somebody from the game there were plenty of choices on the defensive side Coach.

I thought Mahoney kind of stumbled as he threw that first pick.

this was a GAME OF MISTHROWNS.

752994.jpg

All seriousness, Zack certainly played well enough to win & would have if our D put forth any of their previous 9 performances this year. Call me crazy, but I think ED being out played a minor role in the D's lack of intensity. The entire team really does feed off of him & his energy always seems to pump them up. I just didn't get that vibe from them today for the 1st time all year. Guys weren't even excited or celebrating the few plays we made on D...or on Offense for that matter outside of Elmore's TD. That's the most subdued I've ever seen Ish after his TD, same with Strick & Pierce on both of his. Just a real lack of energy today.
I felt like that was the case all week and it affected the whole Orange nation. Almost posted something last night about how dead the board was this week but I didn't because ... I was part of the problem.

I felt like that was the case all week and it affected the whole Orange nation. Almost posted something last night about how dead the board was this week but I didn't because ... I was part of the problem.
Totally agree. I think the start of hoops season probably contributed as far as the board but, to me at least, it was immediately apparent in warm-ups & on the sideline throughout the game that the team just didn't have their usual energy.

Truly one of the strangest things I've ever seen at an SU FB game. I was dumbfounded. The only thing I could think of was perhaps ZM had an injury that wasn't obvious from the previous play, such as a hand/finger.

you could tell after the game the coach was not happy with the reads that were missed all game long.. throwing for 400 and playing poorly makes you wonder what we get out of the offense with good QB play and some speed at certain spots.

lol, yeah, Boeheim never pulls people to yell at them after a mistake.

Is there a comparable example during JB's career of pulling a player at such a critical moment? The only comparison I can think of is Gene Hackman doing it in Hoosiers but that's not real life.

IMO, pulling your QB like that is likely caused by one of three things:
1. As mentioned earlier, injury.
2. Directly defying what you were asked to do - which simply does not sound like ZM: or,
3. Frustration.

Dino demands a lot of the QB. He had put up a stinker of a half. Really not good. Taking deep shots (that's a read, not a called play) 3 times in a row instead of taking what's there. INT. Missed a basic read. Got pulled.

I think Dino has Mahoney as the #2 because of the mental/emotional part of the game. He made the correct reads in the first half and did a 180 in the second. If you're in there because you make the right calls and then have a half where you consistently miss? I don't know it was right to pull him on 4th down. But I get why he did.

At the time I was thinking of the 2012 Pinstripe Bowl, when Nassib took a hard hit and had to come out, and Loeb came in for 1 play and threw a completion in a critical situation (for a 1st down, if I recall correctly). https://syracusefan.com/posts/2379386/