Recruiting may have taken a big hit along with Dungey | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting may have taken a big hit along with Dungey

SUMBA

2nd String
In a season full of questionable decisions the by the coaching staff leaving Dungey in yesterday may have been the most damaging. If I am the parent of a potential recruit I would be seriously concerned about the hit that Dungey took during garbage time. My number one concern would always be the welfare of my son. Yesterday's total disregard for the long term health of Eric Dungey would preclude me from ever wanting to see my son in Orange.

Just as nothing good ever happens after midnight, nothing good happens when the starting quarterback plays during garbage time. I love Dungey's grit and competitive fire but he needs to be protected from himself at times because he plays so hard. Down 31 with under five minutes to go there is not a single excuse for what happened yesterday. That the head coach reasoned that SU could make a comeback in the time remaining may explain poor clock management: No one on this coaching staff appears to have elementary math skills. Mahoney wasn't properly warmed up? Who's fault is that? If there was even a passing thought of replacing Dungey Mahoney should have been warning up in plenty of time. Dungey's "upper body injury" yesterday is inexcusable and unacceptable. Identifying it as a head injury compounds the error and may have legal ramifications in today's uber PC environment.

Could any parent place their child's welfare in the hands of this coaching staff after watching what transpired yesterday?

I wish Shafer hadn't used the word comeback. I don't think he meant comeback to win. Lester described it better as in getting him back into a rhythm after such a bad stretch by Dungey. I see games every weekend where starters are in after the game is essentially over. The one good argument however, which you mention, is protecting Dungey from himself since he is prone to injury.

In a season full of questionable decisions the by the coaching staff leaving Dungey in yesterday may have been the most damaging. If I am the parent of a potential recruit I would be seriously concerned about the hit that Dungey took during garbage time. My number one concern would always be the welfare of my son. Yesterday's total disregard for the long term health of Eric Dungey would preclude me from ever wanting to see my son in Orange.

Just as nothing good ever happens after midnight, nothing good happens when the starting quarterback plays during garbage time. I love Dungey's grit and competitive fire but he needs to be protected from himself at times because he plays so hard. Down 31 with under five minutes to go there is not a single excuse for what happened yesterday. That the head coach reasoned that SU could make a comeback in the time remaining may explain poor clock management: No one on this coaching staff appears to have elementary math skills. Mahoney wasn't properly warmed up? Who's fault is that? If there was even a passing thought of replacing Dungey Mahoney should have been warning up in plenty of time. Dungey's "upper body injury" yesterday is inexcusable and unacceptable. Identifying it as a head injury compounds the error and may have legal ramifications in today's uber PC environment.

Could any parent place their child's welfare in the hands of this coaching staff after watching what transpired yesterday?

I don't know man I find this post to be way over the top. I get it the kid probably should have been pulled but you are taking it too far.

I don't know man I find this post to be way over the top. I get it the kid probably should have been pulled but you are taking it too far.
Bingo. Monster overreaction. Bad decision? Yes. No parent should ever want their son to come here again because of said decision? Yikes

I think it's ridiculous that Dungey was out there, but let's also not put words in the mouths of his family, either, or suggest that they MUST not trust Shafer (not saying the OP has done this, but others have). The Dungeys adore Shafer, that's a fact.

The argument for letting Dungey play is that he could benefit from the reps as a true freshman. His upright scrambling and aggressive running style of play exposes him to punishment. Like it or not, his mobility is both his best asset and his biggest liability at this stage in his career. I'm not going to kill the coaches for letting him play because game experience is precisely what will benefit him in the long run. Yeah, it was garbage time but its still tackle football. At some point Dungey needs to learn to protect himself whether its garbage time or not. The real problem is that we're in a position where we are forced to play a true freshman qb (again) behind a leaky offensive line with receivers who don't separate and a substandard run game. Other than that, we're fine.

Lester had a reasonable response.

However, not having Mahoney prepared (and what's with it with that kid, couldn't find his helmet against Pitt?) just doesn't make sense in that situation.

However, not having Mahoney prepared (and what's with it with that kid, couldn't find his helmet against Pitt?) just doesn't make sense in that situation.
Agreed, but I think that points to the fact that they had no intention of pulling Dungey-

Agreed, but I think that points to the fact that they had no intention of pulling Dungey-

True - and I am beating a dead horse, there just needs to be a situation where down a big margin in the 4th the backup knows enough to start tossing the ball around to get ready.

Marrone would nail something like that.

True - and I am beating a dead horse, there just needs to be a situation where down a big margin in the 4th the backup knows enough to start tossing the ball around to get ready.

Marrone would nail something like that.
I can't argue with that. Dungey would have really benefitted from a redshirt season (obviously). Its so frustrating watching us be outmanned on virtually all aspects of the game. It's men vs. boys out there-

Saying Mahoney wasn't ready is a lame excuse. I much time did he have two weeks ago when Dungy went down? Every backup quarterback is always one play away from playing. There are no excuses for what happened with Dungy yesterday. Lester is as culpable as Shafer. This staff has an excuse for everything.

Wait, hang on - what's this about Mahoney not being prepared?

Statesman above wrote, "At some point Dungey needs to learn to protect himself whether its garbage time or not."

While that's generally true, I don't see how ED could have avoided the big hits he has taken last night or against CMU.

I, like most of you, was thrilled with his first few games. I thought, "When this kid gets to be a Jr or Sr, he will be great."

I now no longer believe that is going to happen. He cannot play like he does and last. He's a straight-up runner without great speed. That might work in the Ivy League, but not against the better ACC teams.

Even the best SU QB who ran a lot, Bill Hurley, was out for a significant amount of time during his career on the Hill. He broke his leg against FSU, I believe.

We can argue about whether he should have been in the game last night at all at the end. But sooner or later he has to play and he's going to get hurt playing the way he plays.

Assuming his career isn't over now, the question is can he adopt his style. Will another 20 lbs of muscle protect him? If he no longer takes off running on pass plays or runs on designed QB running plays, is he a good enough drop-back in-the pocket passer?

This is tangential but you know who else needs to freaking protect Dungey? The refs. It's absurd how many little shots they let the other team give him. The first time he carried yesterday, he slid after a few yards and was clearly down, and a Louisville player came in and popped him. Was a penalty flag thrown? Of course not.

Complete and utter overreaction on your part. Sheer nonsense.

This is tangential but you know who else needs to freaking protect Dungey? The refs. It's absurd how many little shots they let the other team give him. The first time he carried yesterday, he slid after a few yards and was clearly down, and a Louisville player came in and popped him. Was a penalty flag thrown? Of course not.
Yeah, I noticed that too. He slid, looked like a late hit.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom