Recruiting over this year's team | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting over this year's team

djdan

Walk On
Watching the game on Sunday, the possibility occurred to me that the majority of the players on this team may be seeing more meaningful minutes this year than they will moving forward. Obviously, we lose Christmas and it seems a foregone conclusion that McCullough will be gone as well. With the exception of Cooney and Silent G, is it possible that the other members of this team (Joseph, Roberson, Patterson, BJ, Obokoh) may find their roles ever more diminished next year? Especially if Bryant commits?

Joseph's role won't get smaller. But I think Patterson/BJ will have to really step up to get some PT next year with the class we have coming in. I think Roberson will be fine.

Watching the game on Sunday, the possibility occurred to me that the majority of the players on this team may be seeing more meaningful minutes this year than they will moving forward. Obviously, we lose Christmas and it seems a foregone conclusion that McCullough will be gone as well. With the exception of Cooney and Silent G, is it possible that the other members of this team (Joseph, Roberson, Patterson, BJ, Obokoh) may find their roles ever more diminished next year? Especially if Bryant commits?

Let's just play this out. And I'll agree with you [for the purposes of this post] that McCullough leaves this offseason. If that's the case, then the likely starting lineup becomes:

PG--Joseph
SG--Cooney
SF--Richardson
PF--Roberson
C---Bryant

Gbinije or BJ could start at 3 instead of Richardson--just speculating there. But adding in the newcomers, that leaves the following as bench players:

Gbinije
BJ
Howard
Diagne
Lydon
Obokoh
Patterson

Here's how I see the bench breaking down:

PG--Howard will either backup Joseph, or won't play much, with the more experieinced combination of Gbinije / Cooney / Patterson backing him up in some capacity.

SG--Gbinije could play here, so could Richardson. Patterson could as well, although if the newbies play well he could also be edged out.

SF--unlike this year, we'll return lots of experience at this position. If BJ finds his scoring touch, he could start or be the sixth man super scoring sub.

PF--not much depth here, and Roberson is a bit undersized. Diange will probably play a bit here. I don't see Lydon playing much next year.

C--Diange could back up here, as well. I expect Obokoh to play a lot more than this year.

So reviewing it all, I think that Lydon is the odd man out for next season--but will be the guy who emerges as a sophomore and provides us with some bench scoring.

This year, the 3 position to date has been a position of weakness, but it looks like a strength next season.

I'm not going to count on Coleman; if he returns and is physically capable, that changes the equation with the bigs a bit.

Of the incumbents, Patterson is the only one [my opinion only] who is in danger of having a more diminished role. If he doesn't find a way to work himself back into the rotation this year, he might be finished for his career in Orange, and I'd expect him to transfer.

Yeah, there's no way Joseph's role gets any smaller next year. I know people say Frank Howard is more ready to play point guard than a lot of people thought he would be at this point, but he's still not a "true" point by most accounts, and Joseph will have a full year under his belt running the show.

RF2044 said:
Let's just play this out. And I'll agree with you [for the purposes of this post] that McCullough leaves this offseason. If that's the case, then the likely starting lineup becomes: PG--Joseph SG--Cooney SF--Richardson PF--Roberson C---Bryant Gbinije or BJ could start at 3 instead of Richardson--just speculating there. But adding in the newcomers, that leaves the following as bench players: Gbinije BJ Howard Diagne Lydon Obokoh Patterson Here's how I see the bench breaking down: PG--Howard will either backup Joseph, or won't play much, with the more experieinced combination of Gbinije / Cooney / Patterson backing him up in some capacity. SG--Gbinije could play here, so could Richardson. Patterson could as well, although if the newbies play well he could also be edged out. SF--unlike this year, we'll return lots of experience at this position. If BJ finds his scoring touch, he could start or be the sixth man super scoring sub. PF--not much depth here, and Roberson is a bit undersized. Diange will probably play a bit here. I don't see Lydon playing much next year. C--Diange could back up here, as well. I expect Obokoh to play a lot more than this year. So reviewing it all, I think that Lydon is the odd man out for next season--but will be the guy who emerges as a sophomore and provides us with some bench scoring. This year, the 3 position to date has been a position of weakness, but it looks like a strength next season. I'm not going to count on Coleman; if he returns and is physically capable, that changes the equation with the bigs a bit. Of the incumbents, Patterson is the only one [my opinion only] who is in danger of having a more diminished role. If he doesn't find a way to work himself back into the rotation this year, he might be finished for his career in Orange, and I'd expect him to transfer.

I'd count in Dc2 more than Bryant at this point.

I'd count in Dc2 more than Bryant at this point.

I hope you're right, but I consider him an unknown until we see how he bounces back physically. At this point, nothing would surprise me as an outcome--including that his career is cut prematurely short. At best, he's an unknown, given that all three seasons he's been in uniform have been significantly impacted by injuries.

First, I don't see many minutes out of Patterson or Obokoh this year. So I don't see a drop off. I actually think a steady rise for Obokoh as he develops into the role of backup center. It looks like he might not have that role this year. So Obokoh should get more minutes backing up Bryant next year.

The departure of McC opens up a lot of big man minutes and I see Roberson being the biggest beneficiary.

I don't see a 5 star pg in the wings, so Joseph will probably get the same, or maybe more if he doesn't improve quickly and his role is reduced this year.

BJ needs to fight off Malachi. But I think that will happen. A lot of frosh come in with a lot of hype, but the college game is at a higher level. BJ won't be the youngest any more and will have several years in the system.

RF2044 said:
I hope you're right, but I consider him an unknown until we see how he bounces back physically. At this point, nothing would surprise me as an outcome--including that his career is cut prematurely short. At best, he's an unknown, given that all three seasons he's been in uniform have been significantly impacted by injuries.

I hope I'm wrong, and a mixture of us are right. I'd love to see Bryant playing for SU next season, I just don't see any reason why he would pick us over Kentucky at this point outside of Syracuse being close to home.

I hope I'm wrong, and a mixture of us are right. I'd love to see Bryant playing for SU next season, I just don't see any reason why he would pick us over Kentucky at this point outside of Syracuse being close to home.

ANY reason?

I can think of a huge reason--his mom wants him to come here. Just because UK is involved doesn't mean we have to write him off. I'd project 90/10 that he comes to SU, given his mother's stated preferences.

RF2044 said:
ANY reason? I can think of a huge reason--his mom wants him to come here. Just because UK is involved doesn't mean we have to write him off. I'd project 90/10 that he comes to SU, given his mother's stated preferences.

That's what I mean about it's close to home and I've read the comments from his mom. I've also read the comments from him calling the offer from Kentucky a blessing, visiting Rupp recently. Outside of momma bear I don't think there is any reason that he would choose SU over Kentucky.

I do hope he comes here and would love those odds, I just don't see it as that favorable as I did before.

Let's just play this out. And I'll agree with you [for the purposes of this post] that McCullough leaves this offseason. If that's the case, then the likely starting lineup becomes:

PG--Joseph
SG--Cooney
SF--Richardson
PF--Roberson
C---Bryant

Gbinije or BJ could start at 3 instead of Richardson--just speculating there. But adding in the newcomers, that leaves the following as bench players:

Gbinije
BJ
Howard
Diagne
Lydon
Obokoh
Patterson

Here's how I see the bench breaking down:

PG--Howard will either backup Joseph, or won't play much, with the more experieinced combination of Gbinije / Cooney / Patterson backing him up in some capacity.

SG--Gbinije could play here, so could Richardson. Patterson could as well, although if the newbies play well he could also be edged out.

SF--unlike this year, we'll return lots of experience at this position. If BJ finds his scoring touch, he could start or be the sixth man super scoring sub.

PF--not much depth here, and Roberson is a bit undersized. Diange will probably play a bit here. I don't see Lydon playing much next year.

C--Diange could back up here, as well. I expect Obokoh to play a lot more than this year.

So reviewing it all, I think that Lydon is the odd man out for next season--but will be the guy who emerges as a sophomore and provides us with some bench scoring.

This year, the 3 position to date has been a position of weakness, but it looks like a strength next season.

I'm not going to count on Coleman; if he returns and is physically capable, that changes the equation with the bigs a bit.

Of the incumbents, Patterson is the only one [my opinion only] who is in danger of having a more diminished role. If he doesn't find a way to work himself back into the rotation this year, he might be finished for his career in Orange, and I'd expect him to transfer.
The crazy thing that I'd like to see is Cooney spend the offseason working on his ball handling and passing, so that we can see a lot of backcourt minutes with him and Richardson playing together.

The crazy thing that I'd like to see is Cooney spend the offseason working on his ball handling and passing, so that we can see a lot of backcourt minutes with him and Richardson playing together.

Don't sleep on Joseph. He's going to be a stud.

And yes--I know how difficult to believe that might seem, given his struggles in yesterday's game.

Don't sleep on Joseph. He's going to be a stud.

And yes--I know how difficult to believe that might seem, given his struggles in yesterday's game.
It's actually not a commentary on Joseph at all. I really like him. I think he's got a very bright future, and sooner rather than later.

We just keep bemoaning the lack of outside shooting. Richardson brings that. We need him to get minutes, but I don't think he's a 3. If he strictly plays the 2 as a sub for Cooney, he'll have the same problems Cooney does.

If Cooney can handle enough PG duties to have Richardson in the backcourt with him, just feels like that would open a lot up.

Richardson will have to wait one year before he takes off... He will be our starting 2 guard in the 2016-2017 season.
Next year will be the Kaleb and Cooney show, with Richarson and Howard spelling them.

I think we will have Roberson and BJ starting at the forwards next year, with G as the sub for both.

It's actually not a commentary on Joseph at all. I really like him. I think he's got a very bright future, and sooner rather than later.

We just keep bemoaning the lack of outside shooting. Richardson brings that. We need him to get minutes, but I don't think he's a 3. If he strictly plays the 2 as a sub for Cooney, he'll have the same problems Cooney does.

If Cooney can handle enough PG duties to have Richardson in the backcourt with him, just feels like that would open a lot up.

After watching the game last night, I think Cooney deserves a shot as the primary ball handler immediately. Or at least rotate him and G.

Is our best lineup Cooney, G, Roberson, CMAC, and Xmas? Right now those are the most game ready players.

I do not want to see Joseph handling the ball against Villanovas tight man to man.

Joseph's role won't get smaller. But I think Patterson/BJ will have to really step up to get some PT next year with the class we have coming in. I think Roberson will be fine.

I agree and think Joseph will be starting for four years...I also think Roberson will start for the remainder of his career here. I think one or both of Patterson/BJ will transfer unless they step it up big time.

Richardson will have to wait one year before he takes off... He will be our starting 2 guard in the 2016-2017 season.
Next year will be the Kaleb and Cooney show, with Richarson and Howard spelling them.

I think we will have Roberson and BJ starting at the forwards next year, with G as the sub for both.

It will be really nice to have a little depth at the guard position again.

Wrong.

Richardson will do just fine next year starting at the 3.

You are either an eternal pessimist or don't know what your talking about.

FYI, He is not Kentucky's top option/preference (Prob least 3 other big men Diallo, Swingman, and Zimmerman) who kentucky has offers out too.

Ooh and the Poythress injury is huge (He is set to graduate in 3 years, and thought he could have moved on) now with the knee injury he will likely be back (That's another big man) and Kentucky already has the number 1 consensus center in 2015, and Thon Maker is a Kentucky guy who is prob gonna reclassify to 2015 from 2016.

That's what I mean about it's close to home and I've read the comments from his mom. I've also read the comments from him calling the offer from Kentucky a blessing, visiting Rupp recently. Outside of momma bear I don't think there is any reason that he would choose SU over Kentucky.

I do hope he comes here and would love those odds, I just don't see it as that favorable as I did before.
While I dont feel as confident as I did a couple weeks ago, before the UK offer, its still something that of course he is going to say. I don't blame him one bit for enjoying this process and attention. But, if I recall, he also said UNC and Cuse were his "dream schools" awhile back as well. Still believe he will be orange once the time is right, just hate the UK offer and attention. ..even though at some point he will realize he is like their 3rd or 4th option and that his momma knows best, haha

CuseHulk said:
You are either an eternal pessimist or don't know what your talking about. FYI, He is not Kentucky's top option/preference (Prob least 3 other big men Diallo, Swingman, and Zimmerman) who kentucky has offers out too. Ooh and the Poythress injury is huge (He is set to graduate in 3 years, and thought he could have moved on) now with the knee injury he will likely be back (That's another big man) and Kentucky already has the number 1 consensus center in 2015, and Thon Maker is a Kentucky guy who is prob gonna reclassify to 2015 from 2016.

It's not being an eternal pessimist saying it would be better for him personally to go go Kentucky. We haven't exactly lit the world on fire with out bigs that have come out of high school that went to the NBA. Unfortunately Cal has and that is probably the biggest recruiting tool he has.

FYI they offered him so that would mean he is their big option right now.

I hate it when I first see a thread and it's already 20 replies deep. So, not having read anybody else's comments (cuz who has time for that?), here are my thoughts:

- Joeseph will still be the starter, but his minutes will dip a little bit because he'll have a real backup.

- Patterson might transfer. I agree that it's going to be tough for him with Cooney, G, and Malachi on the team.

- Chino's role will entirely depend on whether or not we land Bryant and whether or not Coleman can stay healthy. His role can't get smaller though. haha

- Roberson will start and play significant minutes. He just will

- BJ could possibly start as the other forward, but I see Diagne or Bryant starting there as a much more likely scenario. Bryant will primarily be a Center, though, so BJ should still get plenty of minutes.

- Lydon will redshirt

It's not being an eternal pessimist saying it would be better for him personally to go go Kentucky. We haven't exactly lit the world on fire with out bigs that have come out of high school that went to the NBA. Unfortunately Cal has and that is probably the biggest recruiting tool he has.

FYI they offered him so that would mean he is their big option right now.

You don't get it.

He's still gonna go there if Thon Maker reclassifies into 2015 and goes to Kentucky, they get one of the (Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, Caleb Swingman) and they already have Skal Labissierre signed for 2015. He's gonna go in with a class of 3 other big men 2 of which are also centers ?

Ooh and regards to those big men we have had. He who shall not be named became a first round pick, Rakeem Christmas took some time (and also was never the go to player) but still has gotten better each season and his defensive play always been there and he is on his way to being a NBA draft pick prob 2nd round. And DC2 has been plagued by injuries.

I don't know if anyone was specifically recruited over.

We needed a PG and a big. We got both and are likely landing another big guy because Rak graduates, Chris is likely gone, DC2 situation is unsure and Chino was brought in to be a backup. Lydon is going to take some time to be ready. Malachi is the only guy who could have been recruited over anyone IMO because we have needed a stud wing for quite some time.