Recruiting over this year's team | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Recruiting over this year's team

CuseHulk said:
You don't get it. He's still gonna go there if Thon Maker reclassifies into 2015 and goes to Kentucky, they get one of the (Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, Caleb Swingman) and they already have Skal Labissierre signed for 2015. He's gonna go in with a class of 3 other big men 2 of which are also centers ?

And yes, it does pan out for pretty much anybody that signs a LOI to play for Kentucky, you're signing a ticket saying you're going to play in the NBA or get a big contract in Europe.

Diallo is a power forward.

Zimmerman is staying out west.

Swanigan* is being recruited by every big school, it's not a slam dunk he goes there.

Nobody knows what is going to happen with Maker. Will he reclassify? Will he not? Could he play in Australia? Who knows.

I hope I'm wrong, and a mixture of us are right. I'd love to see Bryant playing for SU next season, I just don't see any reason why he would pick us over Kentucky at this point outside of Syracuse being close to home.

Unfortunately, the one scenario that would likely be most enticing to Bryant is if he didn't have to play behind Coleman -- meaning Coleman's injury is too severe to overcome and his career is done. Obviously, I really, really hope Coleman comes back this year because from all accounts he's worked extremely hard to do so, and I think he's got a ton of promise. Just saying that of all the possibilities of a scholarship opening up for '15, that one affects Bryant the most. In the case where Coleman does heal up and comes back for next year, he'd presumably be the starter over Bryant. Although Bryant would likely still significant playing time, it'd essentially be the same as the "platoon" situation he'd have at Kentucky...in other words, having to share playing time can't really be seen as a knock against Kentucky. Seen in that light, we'd be leaning pretty heavily on the Mom-factor to land Bryant. Better send that lady some flowers.

jordoo said:
I don't know if anyone was specifically recruited over. We needed a PG and a big. We got both and are likely landing another big guy because Rak graduates, Chris is likely gone, DC2 situation is unsure and Chino was brought in to be a backup. Lydon is going to take some time to be ready. Malachi is the only guy who could have been recruited over anyone IMO because we have needed a stud wing for quite some time.

See, this is what I don't get and I've mentioned it before and got slammed hard.

What was the point of recruiting and offering Chin? I'm not being hard on him but he is what he is and we knew this from the get go, same with BMK. This is not a slight on either guy but were a top program and shouldn't be recruiting 4 year backups. I have to believe there are better options for us.

See, this is what I don't get and I've mentioned it before and got slammed hard.

What was the point of recruiting and offering Chin? I'm not being hard on him but he is what he is and we knew this from the get go, same with BMK. This is not a slight on either guy but were a top program and shouldn't be recruiting 4 year backups. I have to believe there are better options for us.

[1] because there is nothing wrong with a 4-year backup big.

[2] because he went to the same high school as Bryant prior to Bryant transferring to the prep school, so perhaps there is an "in" there.

And yes, it does pan out for pretty much anybody that signs a LOI to play for Kentucky, you're signing a ticket saying you're going to play in the NBA or get a big contract in Europe.

Diallo is a power forward.

Zimmerman is staying out west.

Swanigan* is being recruited by every big school, it's not a slam dunk he goes there.

Nobody knows what is going to happen with Maker. Will he reclassify? Will he not? Could he play in Australia? Who knows.

You just gloss over the fact they already have Skal Labissiere consensus top 10 recruit 5 star center already signed. And he is a center.

And the Poythress injury is big. He is another factor.

FYI, Kentucky does not get everybody they offer (because they can't, and they don't) DC2, Andrew Wiggins ring to mind.

How bout you not going running for the hills just because Kentucky offered.

Last edited:
You don't get it.

He's still gonna go there if Thon Maker reclassifies into 2015 and goes to Kentucky, they get one of the (Cheick Diallo, Stephen Zimmerman, Caleb Swingman) and they already have Skal Labissierre signed for 2015. He's gonna go in with a class of 3 other big men 2 of which are also centers ?

Ooh and regards to those big men we have had. He who shall not be named became a first round pick, Rakeem Christmas took some time (and also was never the go to player) but still has gotten better each season and his defensive play always been there and he is on his way to being a NBA draft pick prob 2nd round. And DC2 has been plagued by injuries.

You're not trying to compare the big men in the NBA from Kentucky and Syracuse...are you?

......are you?

You're not trying to compare the big men in the NBA from Kentucky and Syracuse...are you?

...are you?

No.

Just saying. He said we don't have a good track record of producing big men at Syracuse.

That's not true.

RF2044 said:
[1] because there is nothing wrong with a 4-year backup big. [2] because he went to the same high school as Bryant prior to Bryant transferring to the prep school, so perhaps there is an "in" there.

Ennis played with Wiggins, MCW played with Noel. That stuff rarely means anything. A player is going to play where he has the best opportunity to succeed the most after 1-4 years. If I'm a big guy who is a one and done candidate, I'm going to Kentucky in a heartbeat over Syracuse. I'm not saying it to be a , but look at their bigs and look out ours over the past 5-6 years and their paths or lack their of to the NBA.

CuseHulk said:
You just gloss over the fact they already have Skal Labissiere consensus top 10 recruit 5 star center already signed. And he is a center. And the Poythress injury is big. He is another factor.

I never said he was going there, I'm saying it's silly to put him on a depth chart and trying to figure out next season at this point.

All I'm saying is that if I'm him, I sign that LOI right now and go to a Kentucky.

You are wrong.

Bees has said Richardson starts at the 3.

If this is true, we better prepare for a long season of below average defense and poor rebounding.

I'm not knocking Richardson, but he's too small to consistently guard other SF's and I've seen nothing that indicates he can bang down low for boards. Offensively, I'm sure he can get the job done a the 3. Defensively, not so much.

Ennis played with Wiggins, MCW played with Noel. That stuff rarely means anything. A player is going to play where he has the best opportunity to succeed the most after 1-4 years. If I'm a big guy who is a one and done candidate, I'm going to Kentucky in a heartbeat over Syracuse. I'm not saying it to be a , but look at their bigs and look out ours over the past 5-6 years and their paths or lack their of to the NBA.

Okay, well--that's you.

Bryant has a different set of circumstances, and a mother who has stated in no uncertain terms that she wants him to play closer to home. You've expressed some reasons in uk's favor. She's expressed a lack of being impressed with uk, Calipari's system, or having her son be part of a platoon.

That doesn't mean he's a lock to come here, or go anywhere. Hell, we could get slapped with stringent penalties from the NCAA, and that could induce the Bryant family to look elsewhere. But I don't believe that uk is big of a factor here as you are suggesting. Mom is a HUGE influence here, and a significant factor in our favor.

Also, I wouldn't expect Bryant to be a one-and-done. Everything I've heard / read about him makes him sound like a 2-3 year kid.

CuseHulk said:
No. Just saying. He said we don't have a good track record of producing big men at Syracuse. That's not true.

When it comes to getting them to the NBA we don't hold a candle to Kentucky's bigs.

I never said he was going there, I'm saying it's silly to put him on a depth chart and trying to figure out next season at this point.

All I'm saying is that if I'm him, I sign that LOI right now and go to a Kentucky.

Don't know if I would do the same, if in his shoes. Right now, to me at least, the starting job at Center in Syracuse is much more likely than at Kentucky.

RF2044 said:
Okay, well--that's you. Bryant has a different set of circumstances, and a mother who has stated in no uncertain terms that she wants him to play closer to home. You've expressed some reasons in uk's favor. She's expressed a lack of being impressed with uk, Calipari's system, or having her son be part of a platoon. That doesn't mean he's a lock to come here, or go anywhere. Hell, we could get slapped with stringent penalties from the NCAA, and that could induce the Bryant family to look elsewhere. But I don't believe that uk is big of a factor here as you are suggesting. Mom is a HUGE influence here, and a significant factor in our favor.

If she doesn't want him in a platoon what is she going to do if he gets Boeheimed and gets sat after 3 minutes of play every game?

He's done it with Melo, Rak, and Coleman. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if I'm Bryant I'm looking at all three of those guys and wondering if I want to risk that or go into a situation where I may only get 20 mpg but will be drafted after my one season.

When it comes to getting them to the NBA we don't hold a candle to Kentucky's bigs.

Not apples to apples. Kentucky has been working with surefire one-and-dones. We have not. Rak was highly rated, but far from being one-and-done, Coleman's been injury prone, and Fab had character issues along with the inability to get out of his own way. Kentucky wouldn't have done any better with these three than we did.

Whether or not a recruit sees it this way, who knows.

Okay, well--that's you.

Bryant has a different set of circumstances, and a mother who has stated in no uncertain terms that she wants him to play closer to home. You've expressed some reasons in uk's favor. She's expressed a lack of being impressed with uk, Calipari's system, or having her son be part of a platoon.

That doesn't mean he's a lock to come here, or go anywhere. Hell, we could get slapped with stringent penalties from the NCAA, and that could induce the Bryant family to look elsewhere. But I don't believe that uk is big of a factor here as you are suggesting. Mom is a HUGE influence here, and a significant factor in our favor.

Also, I wouldn't expect Bryant to be a one-and-done. Everything I've heard / read about him makes him sound like a 2-3 year kid.

I've come to realize that it is impossible to predict how long anyone will stay at college, until they are on campus playing games (and even then). Did people think Ennis would be one and done? Nope. Did people think Paul Harris would stay as long as he did? Nope.

It's so unpredictable it seems.

I've come to realize that it is impossible to predict how long anyone will stay at college, until they are on campus playing games (and even then). Did people think Ennis would be one and done? Nope. Did people think Paul Harris would stay as long as he did? Nope.

It's so unpredictable it seems.
But once they're here, when he gone, we know.

Brooky03 said:
Not apples to apples. Kentucky has been working with surefire one-and-dones. We have not. Rak was highly rated, but far from being one-and-done, Coleman's been injury prone, and Fab had character issues along with the inability to get out of his own way. Kentucky wouldn't have done any better with these three than we did. Whether or not a recruit sees it this way, who knows.

That's the thing, there are only excuses when it comes to our guys, and there are a lot of them. Noel got injured and he still got drafted. What about DC2? No, he played 3 minutes and was benched. Even if he was solid nobody would have known because BMK was taking minutes from him. Again, I'm just speculating and I just see more advantage for a big man recruit to go to Kentucky over Syracuse.

No thanks, I'm a Syracuse fan.

seh6p.gif

If she doesn't want him in a platoon what is she going to do if he gets Boeheimed and gets sat after 3 minutes of play every game?

He's done it with Melo, Rak, and Coleman. I'm not saying it's going to happen, but if I'm Bryant I'm looking at all three of those guys and wondering if I want to risk that or go into a situation where I may only get 20 mpg but will be drafted after my one season.

Is that what happend with Dakari Johnson? Seeing as how Rak is leaving, Coleman's status is completely up in the air, it looks like Bryant would walk right into a starting role on a team that needs him to produce and play extensive minutes. If you think it is likely that he'd get Booheimed, I'll agree to disagree.

I also strongly believe that Bryant has much more game readiness than Fab, Rak, or Coleman before him--another factor that greatly reduces the likelihood that he'd get sat after 3 minutes of play every game.