Red Interview with Paulie and Infanti 5/4 | Page 6 | Syracusefan.com

Red Interview with Paulie and Infanti 5/4

Status
Not open for further replies.
You all are able to pull a lot of information or create hypotheses from these interviews. I just hear mumble, mumble, coach speak. Lot of words. Not much said.

You must be one with the force...

No transfer wants to come here or anywhere to be the 12th or 13th guy. Those spots are fine for development guys like Patterson or Carey, but 90% of our rotation is likely already on the roster.
Wild thought: don’t bring in guys who would be 12th or 13th in the rotation? If you already have your developmental guys, then bring in people who are capable of being contributors. They’re not being brought in to ride the pine, they’re being brought in to contribute minutes and compete for a starting spot. 1-11 isn’t based on who signed on the dotted line first…

You must be one with the force...
Its background noise to me while I am working. I cannot retain any info from people who speak with a lot of filler phrasing unless I really hone in. Its a personal problem.

Couple of things.

Per 100 possessions JJ actually is ahead of Westry, Joe, Judah at 5.8 Rebs. Quadir's numbers are 9.8 per 100p and JTs at 6.3.

At forward Brown is 13.3 rebs/100, Benny 7.7, Bell under 4.

At C Mccleod was 11.8 and Hima 13.8.

So Quadir and JJs analytics show some rebounding potential at guard while Brown has nice numbers at forward along with Hima and somewhat Mccleod.

Nothing of course jumps out like Jesse's production. In an uptempo offense you have rebounders at guard. I'll add that Westrys advanced numbers don't help his case on the boards but this is a situation where his playing style and tape tells a different story and thus fully expect he is closer to Quadir as a rebounder than where he was in limited injured time last year. By committee but it's not all bad when you dig a little.
Buddy Boeheim averaged over 5 rebounds per 100 possessions his first and last year. Dug for some numbers and they sound good, but I’m perspective they’re not good.

We had the 2 worst years of JB' s years and 2 of the players responsible for it left.
To my way of thinking that isn't a bad thing.
They ate up a lot of minutes that should have gone to the younger players.
Actually the players left are a better fit for a pressing uptempo game.
Their will be growing pains, but by the end of the year I expect a very good team.
So Benny and Bell weren’t part of that?

Buddy Boeheim averaged over 5 rebounds per 100 possessions his first and last year. Dug for some numbers and they sound good, but I’m perspective they’re not good.

Which is why it's not all the numbers either. A kid like Quadir- from a rebounding perspective shows up with his effort and physicality.

Interestingly as a smaller guard Joe showed up on tape but his rebounding numbers are ugly.

Wild thought: don’t bring in guys who would be 12th or 13th in the rotation? If you already have your developmental guys, then bring in people who are capable of being contributors. They’re not being brought in to ride the pine, they’re being brought in to contribute minutes and compete for a starting spot. 1-11 isn’t based on who signed on the dotted line first…
Well there are only so many of those guys and every program wants them. What are we selling that would entice them to come? Especially if our NIL isn’t at the levels some of these other programs are. I’m not saying your wrong, but the game is different, I think you will see more often than not open scholarships and a roster that is 90% filled just based on the transfer portal, NIL etc

Well there are only so many of those guys and every program wants them. What are we selling they would entice them to come? Especially if our NIL isn’t at the levels some of these other programs are. I’m not saying your wrong, but the game is different, I think you will see more often than not open scholarships and a roster that is 90% filled just based on the transfer portal, NIL etc
You sell them on being on a power 5 team with open minutes at the 1 and the 5 spots. I’m not saying you can go out and grab cisse or Dickinson without heavy NIL offers, but you should be looking to grab guys who have actually played some meaningful minutes at any level of college basketball in the last year and can give you 10-15 solid minutes. Maybe that McLoed, but that still leaves guard spot open.

Louisiana tech and UNLV brought in C/PF contributors, I can’t imagine they offer anything more than Syracuse does.

But really, at the end of the day,so what?

Unless the coach is specifically telling the whole team to crash the glass, your 2-guard is going to be positioned away from the basket in the zone. When a shot goes up on offense, he is going to rotate back on D. Neither is conducive to solid rebounding numbers.

For me,if a guard can rebound it’s a bonus. It isn’t what I am looking for most in him and if we had a solid rebounding effort from the frontcourt guys it wouldn’t even be worth discussing.

Well if you bring in someone that plays a similar role as Bell or Benny then they transfer and you are back to square 1. This isn’t hard. 5 guys can play on a court. Guys will not stay to sit the bench.

You sell them on being on a power 5 team with open minutes at the 1 and the 5 spots. I’m not saying you can go out and grab cisse or Dickinson without heavy NIL offers, but you should be looking to grab guys who have actually played some meaningful minutes at any level of college basketball in the last year and can give you 10-15 solid minutes. Maybe that McLoed, but that still leaves guard spot open.

Louisiana tech and UNLV brought in C/PF contributors, I can’t imagine they offer anything more than Syracuse does.

They really should pay you and get you out on the recruiting trail. Sounds like you would make it happen.

Well if you bring in someone that plays a similar role as Bell or Benny then they transfer and you are back to square 1. This isn’t hard. 5 guys can play on a court. Guys will not stay to sit the bench.
So? They're free to leave the next year and you replace them again (thats how college basketball works now). If a player has a non-zero chance of providing good minutes in a year then it is infinitely better than the 0% chance an open scholarship offers you.

So? They're free to leave the next year and you replace them again (thats how college basketball works now). If a player has a non-zero chance of providing good minutes in a year then it is infinitely better than the 0% chance an open scholarship offers you.
The point is you’re never going to fill the roster because guys want to play. Nice troll job though.

The point is you’re never going to fill the roster because guys want to play. Nice troll job though.
Well that's not true, teams fill rosters literally every year... If anyone is trolling, it is you with that horribly misguided logic.

Last edited:
Well that's not true, teams fill rosters litterally every year... If anyone is trolling, it is you with that horribly misguided logic.
And teams leave open scholarships literally every year, particularly if they have a young team and anticipate a strong class the following year. IF Judah leaves we have four guards with upside on the roster in Westry, Starling, Copeland and Taylor. We have three forwards in Williams, Bell and Brown and three centers in Hima, Carey and Patterson. Copeland, Taylor and Westry can all fill in at the three and Carey sounds like he may be prepping to play some at the 4. Lots of positionaly flexibility with the roster as it currently stands.

I fully expect us to bring in one more big at the very least and don't think that 11 man roster would have many holes. In fact, Patterson likely redshirts in that scenario. Realistically I don;t think you find an upgrade over a Westry/Starling backcourt at this point. And, while a dynamic forward who can score at all three levels would be a perfect addition, I'm not sure where that would come from either. Cringe to even type it for a third year in a row, but if Benny blossoms to the level he played at at the end of the season, we may not even need that.

Then the 12 and 13th guys go to the portal...

But really, at the end of the day,so what?

Unless the coach is specifically telling the whole team to crash the glass, your 2-guard is going to be positioned away from the basket in the zone. When a shot goes up on offense, he is going to rotate back on D. Neither is conducive to solid rebounding numbers.

For me,if a guard can rebound it’s a bonus. It isn’t what I am looking for most in him and if we had a solid rebounding effort from the frontcourt guys it wouldn’t even be worth discussing.
So what? Who’s rebounding the ball on this team? If you’re relying on Benny, Bell or one of our 3 projects you’re going to be disappointed.

I hope he is, I want him to be, but based on last year there’s nothing to show otherwise. The narrative of JJ being great last year just isn’t right, the eye test, the stats, he wasn’t good.
You must not have watched him play any games other than against Cuse or you need to get your eyes checked

You must not have watched him play any games other than against Cuse or you need to get your eyes checked
Oh yes, those two games against us were really drove that 3pt% and A/TO ratio into what they were.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RDembowski

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom