Rehfuss entering the transfer portal | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rehfuss entering the transfer portal

Hearing from sources that several 5 game suspensions were handed down (1/2 the season ) ..have not heard full season suspensions but possible - seems strange that a 5th/6 year would leave at this stage of their career even if 5 game suspension / any of our first line guys would still come back and make a huge impact after 5 games ..unless the real issue is that they are fully suspended for season

In the case of rehfuss , if not fully suspended for season , may realize Hiltz likely takes his job and he’s done after 5 game suspension ...

I highly doubt Rehfuss would leave if it is just the 5 game suspension. I would guess he is entering the portal incase the full season ban is what they give him. As that one report said, he does not want to transfer and is just keeping his options open.

5 games is a lot. Hopefully they can maybe get it down to two or three?

Was worried that players would get infected during the season and that would be a obstacle to overcome. Did not foresee this sort of situation playing out at all. Huge bummer. Most times I appreciate the "breaking news" tweets by Chris J and Ty but to tease these details of "More to come!" seems really stressful and counterproductive. Wish we would just get the end result instead of all this back and forth that leads to endless speculation. Holidays are stressful enough.

Curious what the market is for Rhefuss, he's a good player and clearly is respected by SU, he received a huge Athletics wide award last year. But not sure what team would take him right now, at least a contender given he'd be showing up for a single semester and apparently with a disciplinary ding against him. Most teams right now are pretty well set at attack. Someone on Fanlax mentioned Penn State, but again, so many questions. Academically what exactly are you telling the university you're going to, if you already have law school lined up (at Albany)? What a friggin mess.

Hearing from sources that several 5 game suspensions were handed down (1/2 the season ) ..have not heard full season suspensions but possible - seems strange that a 5th/6 year would leave at this stage of their career even if 5 game suspension / any of our first line guys would still come back and make a huge impact after 5 games ..unless the real issue is that they are fully suspended for season

In the case of rehfuss , if not fully suspended for season , may realize Hiltz likely takes his job and he’s done after 5 game suspension ...
Hopefully this would mean they miss the games before ACC play begins. Still a disaster but a far more manageable one. Thanks for the info.

5 games is better than a whole semester suspension / expulsion.

I highly doubt Rehfuss would leave if it is just the 5 game suspension. I would guess he is entering the portal incase the full season ban is what they give him. As that one report said, he does not want to transfer and is just keeping his options open.

I think you are correct - have heard 5 games but it may be full season for anyone who violated

Rehfuss is probably better off just withdrawing and going elsewhere, than facing a potentially significant disciplinary action. He has aspirations of being a lawyer, and you never know how the "character and fitness" folks will view this when he is seeking admission. Just speaking in terms of playing it safe.

Adding insult to injury, ACC is only slating 6 in conference games ...no ACC tourney .,.and maybe adding some other out of conference
This shortened season combined with a 5 or more game disciplinary action is the killer

They should be punished no less then any regular student. If they broke the rules they broke the rules

Adding insult to injury, ACC is only slating 6 in conference games ...no ACC tourney .,.and maybe adding some other out of conference
This shortened season combined with a 5 or more game disciplinary action is the killer

Thought the same. Likelihood of the season being only 6-7 games makes this a very tough obstacle to overcome. Too much talent in ACC to not have all the firepower available.

... not sure what team would take him right now, at least a contender given he'd be showing up for a single semester and apparently with a disciplinary ding against him. Most teams right now are pretty well set at attack. Someone on Fanlax mentioned Penn State, but again, so many questions. Academically what exactly are you telling the university you're going to, if you already have law school lined up (at Albany)? What a friggin mess.
A number of Rehfuss' family members have attended Albany Law School, including his father and a sister. But note that Albany Law School is not part of SUNY Albany, it's part of Union University, which is D3 in lacrosse. SUNY Albany does not have a law school.

Not sure where this 5-game suspension idea is coming from but I'm hearing they are appealing full-season suspensions

Thought the same. Likelihood of the season being only 6-7 games makes this a very tough obstacle to overcome. Too much talent in ACC to not have all the firepower available.
I would guess we end up scheduling at least 3 out of conference games. There are plenty of NY state teams we could play.

A number of Rehfuss' family members have attended Albany Law School, including his father and a sister. But note that Albany Law School is not part of SUNY Albany, it's part of Union University, which is D3 in lacrosse. SUNY Albany does not have a law school.

The "University" is really a consortium of schools. Union College, which is a member, has a pretty strong D3 team, but the team is made up of their undergrads, no Albany Med or Albany Law students to my knowledge. UAlbany does have some joint graduate programs with Albany Law though. Not sure how that works for NCAA eligibility purposes.

Last edited:
Catching up on posts. Get what is good for the goose is good for the gander but the punishment does not fit the crime if what heard is the infraction. A get together in a off campus house that was just a few more than limit. If that turns out to be the infraction then you have a destructive PUNITIVE OVERREACH AND ABUSE OF POWER which shouldn't be . Tweets and posts such as mine are just uninformed hearsay, the college and/or program needs to come out and clarify.

Can the school really, actually punish you for something you did off campus? Such as a over the limit number of people? This doesn't quite add up...

Football, basketball and lacrosse. All deeply tainted this year for one reason or another by Covid. We make the best of it and move on. Looking forward to the days when the sports return to normal and fans can attend. This has all been a circus.

Can the school really, actually punish you for something you did off campus? Such as a over the limit number of people? This doesn't quite add up...
Yes, they can.

If you break the rules, it doesn't matter where you broke them. Just that you broke them.

Not sure where this 5-game suspension idea is coming from but I'm hearing they are appealing full-season suspensions
The original punishment was 5 games. It is now the whole season. This has been an ongoing process since the middle of the fall

The original punishment was 5 games. It is now the whole season. This has been an ongoing process since the middle of the fall

Just when did this party occur?

So the punishment was adjusted UP? That sounds like repeat violations, or warnings that went unheeded.

I am not privy to the particulars of this situation but in my experience, stuff like this rarely gets overturned on appeal. I would expect to be without Rehfuss and the unnamed other players for 2021, whether they remain enrolled at Syracuse or not.

So the punishment was adjusted UP? That sounds like repeat violations, or warnings that went unheeded.

I am not privy to the particulars of this situation but in my experience, stuff like this rarely gets overturned on appeal. I would expect to be without Rehfuss and the unnamed other players for 2021, whether they remain enrolled at Syracuse or not.

Is there really "stuff like this" that has happened in the past from which you can assume this will not get overturned? COVID safety protocols are an entirely new scenario compared to trying to appeal a student punished for some other partying related infraction.

I’m not a student on campus, I’m only relaying what I have heard, without providing all details and names of those involved. I heard earlier that Rehfuss and others were involved in a situation and would be suspended the first 4 games. I have not heard what has happened since. Obviously this is a fluid situation and things can change.
Just passing along info

They should be punished no less then any regular student. If they broke the rules they broke the rules
Yet internal university disciplinary processes often have a well-deserved reputation for being kangaroo courts. If the penalties here are ultimately seen to be wildly disproportionate you can bet that high level talent will not be considering SU.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom