Remember this game during the February slump | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Remember this game during the February slump

Obviously JB disagrees but the kid is much more than just the designated 3 point shooter. Many probably don't even realize he is the on court leader which is needed with such a young team. Watch who is the vocal leader and who also gathers the players together on the court after a timeout. I imagine he is a steadying influence.
Look at our offense in the Hampton, Cal, Iowa game 63.3 ppg. I am not putting that all on Trevor Cooney that is completely unfair, but if JB thinks the current rotation is going to average more than 65 ppg once we hit conference play I think he wouldn't be telling the truth.

We have no clue how good Ron Patterson would be if he played 30 mpg. I agree Cooney is better defensively but the fact is our offense has struggled, and we have a freshman PG and freshman PF/C. We need more consistency from our veterans Gbinije/Cooney/Christmas. Rakeem needs to stop getting in foul trouble, but the guards need to give us more on offensive end as I doubt we will enough games 61-59 to make the NCAA tournament.

Look at our offense in the Hampton, Cal, Iowa game 63.3 ppg. I am not putting that all on Trevor Cooney that is completely unfair, but if JB thinks the current rotation is going to average more than 65 ppg once we hit conference play I think he wouldn't be telling the truth.

We have no clue how good Ron Patterson would be if he played 30 mpg. I agree Cooney is better defensively but the fact is our offense has struggled, and we have a freshman PG and freshman PF/C. We need more consistency from our veterans Gbinije/Cooney/Christmas. Rakeem needs to stop getting in foul trouble, but the guards need to give us more on offensive end as I doubt we will enough games 61-59 to make the NCAA tournament.
Patterson is not the answer.

Alsacs said:
Look at our offense in the Hampton, Cal, Iowa game 63.3 ppg. I am not putting that all on Trevor Cooney that is completely unfair, but if JB thinks the current rotation is going to average more than 65 ppg once we hit conference play I think he wouldn't be telling the truth. We have no clue how good Ron Patterson would be if he played 30 mpg. I agree Cooney is better defensively but the fact is our offense has struggled, and we have a freshman PG and freshman PF/C. We need more consistency from our veterans Gbinije/Cooney/Christmas. Rakeem needs to stop getting in foul trouble, but the guards need to give us more on offensive end as I doubt we will enough games 61-59 to make the NCAA tournament.

I can tell you one thing, in his 94 minutes he's played in his career he's shot 31% total and 26% from three. I could see if he was shooting 45% and 35% and we could have a debate, but Buss hasn't shown anything to have a Buss/Cooney minutes debate.

image-323933011.jpg

I would like to see BJ getting some of Roberson's minutes though, at least we can say that Roberson isn't setting the world on fire and we could throw both to the wall and see which one sticks.

SWC75 said:
Except if you hit 33% you are creating more rebounds and the defensive team will get more rebounds on that end than the offense. I'm not sure what the conversion would be but I think you need to hit a bit higher than 33% to be the equivalent of shooting 50% inside the arc.

Yea, somebody did the exact numbers before using the extra possessions, then the percentage of rebounds the offensive team and defensive team would each get then applying their points per possession. It was higher than 33 and I think closer to 35. But it's easier to explain the way I did without going into the advance metrics. Just making a point that you don't have to hit 40-45% to be a plus or even neutral.

I don't care if Mike G slides to the 2 and Johnson plays the SF. I just think all of the 8 guys Joseph, Cooney, Gbinije, Johnson, Patterson, Roberson, McCollough and Christmas should be getting a chance to play. Now Rak and McC should be high 30's mpg guys as they have been good/decent these 4 games. Roberson is a complete mystery at the SF, but Cooney/Joseph should be getting the lion's share of the backcourt minutes, and Mike G, Johnson, Patterson should be rotation guys who get to play.

Again I am not saying a thing about Iowa as I think that was an all hands on deck JB wants this game at all costs outlier game. However, if JB buries Patterson/Johnson now then basically we are in for a long season this year unless Joseph/Cooney play a lot better and next year we will have more questions unless McCollough stays.

I don't care if Mike G slides to the 2 and Johnson plays the SF. I just think all of the 8 guys Joseph, Cooney, Gbinije, Johnson, Patterson, Roberson, McCollough and Christmas should be getting a chance to play. Now Rak and McC should be high 30's mpg guys as they have been good/decent these 4 games. Roberson is a complete mystery at the SF, but Cooney/Joseph should be getting the lion's share of the backcourt minutes, and Mike G, Johnson, Patterson should be rotation guys who get to play.

Again I am not saying a thing about Iowa as I think that was an all hands on deck JB wants this game at all costs outlier game. However, if JB buries Patterson/Johnson now then basically we are in for a long season this year unless Joseph/Cooney play a lot better and next year we will have more questions unless McCollough stays.
I think we will be stuck with a long season IF we see more johnson/Patterson. For that means that the top guys aren't getting it done and JB has thrown his hands up in the air and said 'F it, lets play these 2 clowns and call it a year'.

We'll see plenty of My Three sons the next few games. Then if they don't play well, we'll see a lot less of them. It's up to them.

Can't we just let this go until things play out more. I think people have aired their opinions pretty clearly and we had to win the Iowa game. If we only play 6 guys this year we will be dead in the water at some point So I certainly hope we can get to at least 7 guys, 8 if DC2 comes back and ideally Buss and BJ both playing regular minutes and DC2 coming back. Cooney isn't going to play 40min every game not even Jonny did that. I do find it interesting that people want Cooney one of our 3 leading scorers to play less when we struggle to score so far this season. For some its obviously not just a bench issue, its also an anti Cooney agenda. If you look objectively Cooney is making his good looks at a high rate (open, squared-up, catch and shoot), its his shot selection that needs to get better because he takes about 2 a game that have no chance and about 2 a game that aren't the best looks. Even with these he's at 33% and has yet to have an o-fer from deep in a game. Everyone wanted more consistency and I feel if he eliminates two bad shots from deep a game he would be shooting mid 40% on the good ones.

- why does our freshman point struggle so much? (His legs are gone from playing 35 minutes a game)

these guys practice 16 to 20 hours a week during the season usually with just 1 day off, but you think Joseph is going to lose his legs because he is playing 35 minutes a game 2 games a week, rather than 30 per?

these guys practice 16 to 20 hours a week during the season usually with just 1 day off, but you think Joseph is going to lose his legs because he is playing 35 minutes a game 2 games a week, rather than 30 per?

Somewhere Jonny Flynn is laughing hysterically. He never seemed to get winded.

Somewhere Jonny Flynn is laughing hysterically. He never seemed to get winded.

Maintaining cardiovascular fitness and maintaining explosiveness in your fast twitch muscles are not the same thing. Our two jump shooters (CJ and Cooney) tailed off miserably at the end of last year - everything off the front rim. They both had dead legs.

Maintaining cardiovascular fitness and maintaining explosiveness in your fast twitch muscles are not the same thing. Our two jump shooters (CJ and Cooney) tailed off miserably at the end of last year - everything off the front rim. They both had dead legs.
Cooney tailed off long before the end of the year, so it's hard to say that dead legs caused it - he shot around 20% from three in the front half of the ACC schedule, then went on a hot streak at the beginning of February before falling back to 20% to close.

CJ actually shot better late - he shot .275 in pre-conference and .295 in conference play, so that doesn't lend support to the dead legs theory, either

Joseph doesn't have dead legs after a back to back with big minutes 4 games into the season. That is what's funny and I sighted Jonny because he played almost a full game plus 6 OT's, then another full game with and OT and then another full game going back to back to back against far better competition. Yes the whole team looked like the legs were a bit dead coming out for the 2nd half of the Lville game which was the 3rd game at the end of the season in the BET.

So we ve only had two consistent shooters in JBs time? Janulius and Roe? Is that what you are saying? Anyone else?

This team would be much better (last years too) if we had JS. He was not great in his consistency but that guy could get it going and completely change how teams had to defend us. Defenders followed JS 25-30 ft from the basket. Teams are no longer following TC (imo they were for awhile last season) that far away and that changes the defensive spacing.
The scary thing, when I look back at Roe's numbers, I think "I don't remember him being THAT good". Janulius and Andy R were the 2 closest to being what I would want from a 3-shooter.

We used to say we didn't want players playing 40 minutes but 35 would be OK. Now if they play 35, they're killing themselves.

The scary thing, when I look back at Roe's numbers, I think "I don't remember him being THAT good". Janulius and Andy R were the 2 closest to being what I would want from a 3-shooter.

The early three point shooters didn't shoot nearly as much, so they didn't force it. Also Roe had DC, Seikaly and Billy Owens inside, so he was open many more times. He never had one guy chasing him around all day.

Kris Joseph before that. In his case he just got beat up hard, and you could tell it was mounting.

The early three point shooters didn't shoot nearly as much, so they didn't force it. Also Roe had DC, Seikaly and Billy Owens inside, so he was open many more times. He never had one guy chasing him around all day.
I remember my feeling when he left was "Wow, just when he was about to come into it."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom