Remembering 2000 in Auburn Hills | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Remembering 2000 in Auburn Hills

The MSU loss was devastating because I KNEW that team was going to the final four after we boat raced uconn. We played with them and held a ten point lead at half and got it out to fourteen in the second half. And then we just...stopped playing.

If we didn't blow chunks vs Georgetown in the BET we probably are a 2 seed.

The 2000 game left me with that ugly depressed feeling like usual when SU gets knocked out, but I get over it quickly and see what's happening in baseball. And I knew that SU that year wasn't as good as MSU or many other teams. They started out great, then went into a bad slide. So I wasn't that surprised.

That Keith Smart jumper hurt a lot, and lingered a little right up until Hak's block from that corner. 16 years. And that Vermont loss (my girlfriend and I saw it at Hooligan's in Liverpool) was frustrating because of all the turnovers (I think Hak had 9 or 10; wonder if he was ill that weekend). But one game that was really heartbreaking, because the frantic effort was like this year's team, was the 1994 loss to Missouri. Adrian Autry was a one many army, and scored like 29 or 31 points after half time. He then had a chance to give SU the victory with a shot that went in just as he fell to his knees, and the ref didn't allow it.
I believe the refs also took away a 3pt shot that they claimed Raefsnyder touched on the rim, but replays showed he didn't.

Adrian Autry was a one many army, and scored like 29 or 31 points after half time. He then had a chance to give SU the victory with a shot that went in just as he fell to his knees, and the ref didn't allow it.

I hate to be That Guy but...

When AA hit that shot from his knees (and I have no idea why it was waived off) he shot two FTs. He went 1-2, and someone (McCorkle) go the rebound and was fouled. he went to the line and hit them both.

So we still got three points because of the extra possession. The Autry shot wouldn't have made a difference.

Just doesn't hurt as much now, Just a thing that happened. Syracuse has extracted revenge vs Michigan St at Breslin Center in our champ year, at the Dome, and now back on the biggest stage, in their home state.

Our block S is cooler too.

I was there. It hurt (every NCAA tournament loss hurts) but we did lose to the 1 seed in what was effectively a home game for them. The entire arena was green and white.

It didn't hurt nearly as much as Vermont or Richmond..now those really stung...

The MSU loss was devastating because I KNEW that team was going to the final four after we boat raced uconn. We played with them and held a ten point lead at half and got it out to fourteen in the second half. And then we just...stopped playing.

Exactly, that team was a Final Four team two years in the making; Boeheim did great work building up a roster out of a lot of so-so recruits. They had a 85% terrific season, gagged down the stretch against St. John's and Georgetown, and still deserved better than that draw (I think the East was in Syracuse that year but anything would've been better than MSU in Michigan, and a 25-6 Big East team deserves better than a 4 anyway). Though I guess the game was a microcosm of the season - good enough to dominate...until we couldn't close the deal.

Exactly, that team was a Final Four team two years in the making; Boeheim did great work building up a roster out of a lot of so-so recruits. They had a 85% terrific season, gagged down the stretch against St. John's and Georgetown, and still deserved better than that draw (I think the East was in Syracuse that year but anything would've been better than MSU in Michigan, and a 25-6 Big East team deserves better than a 4 anyway). Though I guess the game was a microcosm of the season - good enough to dominate...until we couldn't close the deal.

It's pretty crazy now to think that a 13-3 Big East regular season champion could be a four seed.

And yes the East regional was in Syracuse so we weren't going there. We get put in the Midwest with MSU. The other options were...

1. A West regional where the top 3 seeds all lost in the second round and a team we beat by twenty that season advanced to the final four.

2. A South regional where the top 3 seeds all lost in the second round and 8 seed UNC beat Tulsa to get to the final four.

It's pretty crazy now to think that a 13-3 Big East regular season champion could be a four seed.

And yes the East regional was in Syracuse so we weren't going there.
We get put in the Midwest with MSU. The other options were...

1. A West regional where the top 3 seeds all lost in the second round and a team we beat by twenty that season advanced to the final four.

2. A South regional where the top 3 seeds all lost in the second round and 8 seed UNC beat Tulsa to get to the final four.

Same deal with 2005, which is why I feel more slighted about these two years than I do about 2010. East Regional at the Dome. 27-6 regular season, third in the league, Big East Tournament champs. We get a 4, Duke gets a 1 despite similar records, conference standings, and similar strength of schedule. And we're shipped to Worcester to play Vermont. Just wrong.

Back to 2000, it's still wrong, but I think if we'd just beat Georgetown we'd probably have been the 2 in the South and could've penciled in that Final Four from there.

2000 MSU is on Youtube, by the way. As someone else said, they were the best team so it's not a soul crusher but we were up by so many points...

So now that its gonna be buried in this thread, here is my full dissertation on why that particular game, one wherein Syracuse played fantastic for 29 minutes to a 14 point lead and then I think made one field goal the rest of the game, does not give me the sports fanatic mental agida, and has not for a long time before Tom Izzo's latest loss to James Arthur Boeheim.

I watched it with my buddy Ron in his home (not a board member) and he moved for a job to Minnesota later that year. I went back to school in '02 because I saw Carmelo in the McDs game point forwarding it up and was pretty excited about the season possibilities so Ron and I decided to meet up on 2-23-03 @Michigan St. A week before the game my 1990 Dakota caught fire and was fully burning and I risked life and limb to open the passenger door and choke on the death smoke so I could get the envelope of tickets I had therein and this was also my first time at a road game and we were there waaay before tip and walking the Breslin Center we found a certain pretty crystal basketball from that 2000 year that we stared at as I was channeling foreshadowing with my Orange Soul. Melo was 5-5 from three and Hak threw down several times in an escape win in their house. They had several chances to win late after being down 76-70 and missed a tip at the buzzer in IRRC. I think they made the elite eight that year as well. Remember walking out of there and we were treated like we were invisible, No smack, no eye contact. Actively avoided. It was that rare shadenfreude drinking the tears that March01 so recently enjoyed.

Syracuse has freaking owned Michigan St since they gave up that comeback, that is what I am saying.

LGO

...I think they made the elite eight that year as well. Remember walking out of there and we were treated like we were invisible, No smack, no eye contact. Actively avoided. It was that rare shadenfreude drinking the tears that March01 so recently enjoyed.

Syracuse has freaking owned Michigan St since they gave up that comeback, that is what I am saying.

LGO

They did - MSU upset a couple teams on their side of the bracket and they'd have gotten their rematch with us, too, if Texas didn't beat them in the final. Texas did some great dirty work for us that year: they beat UConn and Michigan State in their regional. I think they were a better matchup for us than both of those teams despite their higher seed.

Same deal with 2005, which is why I feel more slighted about these two years than I do about 2010. East Regional at the Dome. 27-6 regular season, third in the league, Big East Tournament champs. We get a 4, Duke gets a 1 despite similar records, conference standings, and similar strength of schedule. And we're shipped to Worcester to play Vermont. Just wrong.

Back to 2000, it's still wrong, but I think if we'd just beat Georgetown we'd probably have been the 2 in the South and could've penciled in that Final Four from there.
To be fair. Even with the Big East tournament title it was hard to overcome our winless Big East regular season & only 12 wins overall. I forgot how awful we were that year :rolleyes:

2005 Big East Men's Basketball Tournament - Wikipedia

The Penn and definitely the Iowa game in back to back years were my first taste of bitter NCAA losses. Those teams, especially in '79-'80, were brutal. To see how the '79-'80 season ended in Manley, the BET and then the NCAA for a team that was a legitimate contender was awful. Minnesota was a close 2nd.

Having said that, I would ditto all the others previously mentioned.

Many of the NCAA loses hurt but to me the 2 that hurt the most were Indiana and Vermont. Indiana because we were so close and we had great seats and had our path to the court was lined up as we were going to go right over Doug Logan. Vermont because it was the first NCAA game I took my son too. He was 8. They show these young kids crying on TV lately, but I'm glad they didn't do that back then. My son was crying and my heart ached for him. Those 2 loses hurt the most, but there were many more, mentioned here, that were close behind.

Just doesn't hurt as much now, Just a thing that happened. Syracuse has extracted revenge vs Michigan St at Breslin Center in our champ year, at the Dome, and now back on the biggest stage, in their home state.

Our block S is cooler too.

This one still gives me pangs for personal reasons. Could've hooked up with probably the hottest girl I've ever known, but blew it because of Syracuse's collapse.

I hate to be That Guy but...

When AA hit that shot from his knees (and I have no idea why it was waived off) he shot two FTs. He went 1-2, and someone (McCorkle) go the rebound and was fouled. he went to the line and hit them both.

So we still got three points because of the extra possession. The Autry shot wouldn't have made a difference.

Yep. I should have said that Autry's scramble shot would have improved SU's chances at victory; didn't mean to say it was a do-or-die moment. But that sequence kinda symbolized the way things went, and that's the memory that sticks somehow.

This one still gives me pangs for personal reasons. Could've hooked up with probably the hottest girl I've ever known, but blew it because of Syracuse's collapse.
Yeah, a loss can have that effect, but there are pills for that now.

How about 1995 against defending champ Arkansas in 2nd round. Lawrence Moten calls timeout with 4 seconds left and we're up 1. Slight problem however, we were out of timeouts. Scotty Thurman makes one of two technicals and we lose in overtime. That team should have done some damage.

The game that still bothers me to this day is the Notre Dame game at the Dome in the mid 90's. Last second shot by ND they win by a whisker and Digger goes to the middle of the floor and does a jig. :vomit:

It still hurts as much for me. I will never recover from that game and the Butler game. I was too young to understand the magnitude of the Indiana game and how close we were.
What bothers me about the Michigan State game is that we had to face the overwhelmingly best team in the country so soon. Because we lost to Georgetown in the first game of the BET, which dropped us to a 4 seed. And thanks to dumb bad luck, we would up in the same region.

That 2000 SU team had what it took to get to the Final Four. I felt those seniors (Thomas, Hart, Blackwell) were robbed of that experience because they had to face such a great team so early in the Tourney.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom