Remembering Dan Johnson | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Remembering Dan Johnson

Tom I believe I met you once. Dan introduced us as he does, you as Tomcat and me as the guy who said SU shouldn't hire Greg Robinson, before it was cool. It was at a party where Dan and his family were. I am good friends with his son. Dan was always asking me not just about SU or whatever. He always started the conversation asking me about my wife and kids. Asking if they were doing well. Always his first question. We watched every game of the 2003 NCAA SU run that year at his son's house. We all had our special spots. My first child was about 4 months old. He told me we always had to bring her no matter the time of night because she was a good luck charm. We all had to eat the same exact food, sit in the same seats, drink the same drinks. Couldn't change anything because he was so superstitious. When SU won the title his son and I went out on the front lawn and did snow angels as it snowed about 6 inches that night. Imagine that, snow in April in Syracuse. I will always remember that night. Dan took a lot of pictures of all of us during that 6 game run. He played softball with our team even though he couldn't run the bases because of his knees. I would usually run when he hit. And I was always on base, because he was a ringer. He may not have been able to run, but was almost a 1000 hitter in slow pitch softball. Him and his beautiful wife were at every game watching their grown son play slow pitch softball. It was terrific. He was a great man and will be truly missed. I don't post on here alot. I used to, but got away from it. I feel like I missed out on his posts. I knew he would post 50 times a day. I just never got around to getting on here. This message board was like his other family. He loved this board and loved SU sports.

I am glad you have taken the time to keep the posts going. Hopefully I can come back here a little more to see posts and maybe share some more about Dan.

RIP Dan. You are and will be missed.

Tom I believe I met you once. Dan introduced us as he does, you as Tomcat and me as the guy who said SU shouldn't hire Greg Robinson, before it was cool. It was at a party where Dan and his family were. I am good friends with his son. Dan was always asking me not just about SU or whatever. He always started the conversation asking me about my wife and kids. Asking if they were doing well. Always his first question. We watched every game of the 2003 NCAA SU run that year at his son's house. We all had our special spots. My first child was about 4 months old. He told me we always had to bring her no matter the time of night because she was a good luck charm. We all had to eat the same exact food, sit in the same seats, drink the same drinks. Couldn't change anything because he was so superstitious. When SU won the title his son and I went out on the front lawn and did snow angels as it snowed about 6 inches that night. Imagine that, snow in April in Syracuse. I will always remember that night. Dan took a lot of pictures of all of us during that 6 game run. He played softball with our team even though he couldn't run the bases because of his knees. I would usually run when he hit. And I was always on base, because he was a ringer. He may not have been able to run, but was almost a 1000 hitter in slow pitch softball. Him and his beautiful wife were at every game watching their grown son play slow pitch softball. It was terrific. He was a great man and will be truly missed. I don't post on here alot. I used to, but got away from it. I feel like I missed out on his posts. I knew he would post 50 times a day. I just never got around to getting on here. This message board was like his other family. He loved this board and loved SU sports.

I am glad you have taken the time to keep the posts going. Hopefully I can come back here a little more to see posts and maybe share some more about Dan.

RIP Dan. You are and will be missed.
Nice post - thanks for that.
(But what is so unusual about 6 inches of snow in April in Syracuse?)

The most recent message in my inbox is from Dan. I met him in Skaneateles after a race for Cancer which my wife died from. I didnt know Dan but was milling around the finish line with some friends and we started to talk SU sports. Dan was close by and he chimed in. Within minutes he said what is your board name once i mentioned mine he told me who he was. We talked for close to an hour and i introduced him to my family including my father who really hit if off with Dan. After that we had made plans a few times to get together but something always came up and i never did see him again although i did communicate with him. I just remember his love that day for Syracuse and the fact that he was super easy to talk to. The kind of guy who you felt you had known your whole life. He was very nice to my Dad and our gang, just an all around gem of a guy. Im sad that his life was cut short especially for his family and for dear friends like Tom. The whole time that i was at the Mayo clinic when my wife was sick i met all people. Old, Young, Rich poor people from all walks of life and countries. To a person i didnt hear one person say that they wished for more time with THINGS. Everyone wanted to spend more time with family, friends and for those who were truly passionate about something like art or music their passion. Dan was obviously a great friend and Father one who was passionate about his beloved Syracuse. In short he had it all and was blessed for it. Dan is fine now it is those who he loved and loved him back that are hurting. Tom thank you for sharing your friend with us. For the short time that i was with him that day in Skaneateles it was obvious that he was a very special person.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
FbBarbie

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom