Reno Ferri is new TEs coach | Syracusefan.com

Reno Ferri is new TEs coach

A recruiter for the Maryland/Virginia area. Good move.

http://www.towsontigers.com/coaches.aspx?rc=366&path=football

After three seasons serving as Towson's running backs coach, Reno Ferri took over coaching the fullbacks and tight ends in 2014. He also serves as the Tigers' recruiting coordinator.

During Ferri's three seasons working with the Tiger running backs, Towson averaged more than 230 rushing yards per game. En route to the 2013 FCS championship game, Towson averaged more than 240 yards per game.

He coached two running backs who have been the CAA Offensive Rookie of the Year: Terrance West in 2011 and Darius Victor in 2013. During that time frame, Tyler Wharton, Emmanuel Holder and West were named as All-CAA performers.

In 2013, he coached West, who set NCAA FCS single season records for rushing yards and touchdowns in a season. While West was the CAA Offensive Player of the Year, Victor was the CAA Offensive Rookie of the Year. West and Holder have earned All-America honors under his guidance.

While helping the Tigers post a 29-10 record from 2011-13, Ferri coached a Tiger running game that has rushed for more than 200 yards in 24 games, winning 22 of those contests. The Tigers topped the 300-yard mark eight times and went over 400 yards twice. In the 2013 FCS quarterfinals at Eastern Illinois, Towson ran for a school-record 472 yards in a 49-39 victory.

Under Ferri's guidance, the Tiger running game shattered virtually every school record. In 2013, Towson ran for a school record 3,830 yards and scored 55 rushing touchdowns.

His first season as a member of the Tigers’ staff was certainly a memorable one. As the Tigers’ running backs coach in 2011, he mentored a group that rushed for 229.9 yards per game, a mark that led the CAA.

He also coached two players who earned All-America notice (Wharton and West). West, who led NCAA FCS with 29 rushing touchdowns, was named as the winner of the Jerry Rice Award as the top freshman in FCS football.

In 2004, Ferri joined the staff at Akron as a graduate assistant who worked with the offense. In 2005, he was Akron’s director of football operations, overseeing all administrative duties with the staff. During the 2005, he was part of an Akron team that earned a berth in the Motor City Bowl where the Zips lost a 38-31 thriller to Memphis.

He was promoted to wide receivers coach in 2006 and worked with Jabari Arthur, who became an all-league performer, and David Harvey, All-MAC performer and a freshman All-American. In 2006, Harvey led the MAC in kickoff returns and was second in the nation.

In 2007, he was named as the running backs coach, a position he held for three years. Led by Bryan Williamsand Alex Allen, the Zips averaged 127.8 rushing yards per game in 2007. That same season, he averaged 31.9 yards per kickoff return as he led the MAC and was second nationally; in 2008 he ranked sixth nationally with a 29.0 yards per return average. Williams, who ran for 728 yards, was named third team All-Mid-American Conference. In 2008, Ferri turned to Dennis Kennedy, who responded with a record-setting season. Kennedy, who rushed for 1,321 yards, produced the third-best single season rushing total in Akron history. He also set school records with 17 rushing touchdowns and 18 overall TDs.

During his tenure at Akron, he also served as the program’s recruiting coordinator. From 2005 to 2007, Akron landed the Mid-American Conference’s top recruiting classes. The Zips also had three players named as freshman All-Americans from those classes.

A native of Youngstown, Ohio, Coach Ferri is a 2000 graduate of the United States Military Academy. A three-year letter winner at running back for the Black Knights, he was part of Army’s first team to compete in Conference USA. In 1996, he was a member of Army’s nationally ranked team that posted a 10-2 record and lost to Auburn in the Independence Bowl. He was a senior game captain in a game against Air Force.

After earning his bachelor’s degree in general management with a minor in systems engineering, he started his coaching career at West Point. During the 2000 season, he served as a graduate assistant on the Army coaching staff.

A first lieutenant in the United States Army from May 2000 to March 2002, he served as a fire direction officer and a battalion survey officer.

He has also worked as a consultant for British Petroleum working in the Gulf of Mexico. A systems engineer, he and his team designed and implemented a software solution to decontaminate and re-deliver 16,000 vessels.

Reno and his wife, Rebekah, have four children, including a pair of twins.

In September 2009, Ferri concluded tenure of five-plus seasons at Akron by submitting his resignation amid an investigation into a possible recruiting violation, the Akron Beacon Journal reported. The news came about two weeks after The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Ferri was placed on administrative leave and suspended with pay, pending an internal review of compliance requirements with NCAA rules investigation.

Whitey23 said:
687518420833796096 In September 2009, Ferri concluded tenure of five-plus seasons at Akron by submitting his resignation amid an investigation into a possible recruiting violation, the Akron Beacon Journal reported. The news came about two weeks after The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Ferri was placed on administrative leave and suspended with pay, pending an internal review of compliance requirements with NCAA rules investigation.

2nd chance time. Worth the risk, IMO.

In September 2009, Ferri concluded tenure of five-plus seasons at Akron by submitting his resignation amid an investigation into a possible recruiting violation, the Akron Beacon Journal reported. The news came about two weeks after The Cleveland Plain Dealer reported that Ferri was placed on administrative leave and suspended with pay, pending an internal review of compliance requirements with NCAA rules investigation.

That caught my attention also. Hopefully everyone understands the situation we are in now with the probation and makes good decisions.

I dont mind a little bending of the rules. Gotta compete with $ec
Didn't we just go through lessons associated with bending rules? I'd imagine Mr. Syverud and Mr. Coyle might hold a different viewpoint. We won't compete with the $EC on a couple fronts, don't have the fan or donor base.

Compliance is going to be king around here for the foreseeable future.

I thought the West Point guys had a minimum of 6 year commitment after graduation?

I thought the West Point guys had a minimum of 6 year commitment after graduation?
West Point is 5 years IIRC...however, you can go to the reserves and rework the nums some.

Also, you can sometimes leave earlier if you are in an over-manned career field...it drives me nuts with the personnel decisions made by the military (early outs, bonuses, money to reenter, etc...in a big sine wave)

Last edited:
Didn't we just go through lessons associated with bending rules? I'd imagine Mr. Syverud and Mr. Coyle might hold a different viewpoint. We won't compete with the $EC on a couple fronts, don't have the fan or donor base.

I know it's been said that Coyle was brought in to clean up the athletic department, and I expect he will monitor compliance closely. A prevailing theme here is tHat he is an Eagle Scout. But let's not go to far here. His prior stops - FSU, Kentucky and Boise St - are not exactly bastions of ethical behavior.

If things are done right, SU should be pushing for every competitive advantage it can get without breaking the rules.

We went through a lesson if getting caught and self reporting. I hear you though. I was partially being sarcastic but part of me also feels that way.

No NJs recruiters. Will Dino, a guy who hadn't even been in NY until December, regret that. It always seems like we have to live with the early mistakes of our coaching hires, which are predictable. Perhaps, Dino will prove me wrong, and one of his guys will get NJ and NE, but I don't think cuse can be successful without targeting those areas and having an insider. Should we grab Kelvin Harmon, I'll stand corrected.

No NJs recruiters. Will Dino, a guy who hadn't even been in NY until December, regret that. It always seems like we have to live with the early mistakes of our coaching hires, which are predictable. Perhaps, Dino will prove me wrong, and one of his guys will get NJ and NE, but I don't think cuse can be successful without targeting those areas and having an insider. Should we grab Kelvin Harmon, I'll stand corrected.
Asil is from NJ. Might have some connections to help the coaches get in touch with HS coaches.

We have guys down in NJ this week.

It’s obviously good to have pre-existing relationships but a good salesman (err I mean recruiter) should be able to sell no matter what. The Syracuse offensive coaches can walk into any high school anywhere with a binder full of offensive statistics generated by Millhouse and say “hey our QBs have thrown for 4,000 yards a season and our WR’s have caught X number of balls etc.”. The proof is in their numbers. These guys have an advantage as they’re not selling the same thing that everybody else selling.

That said, Jersey imho is over-saturated and over-rated. A kid from the Detroit area is every bit as good or better than a kid from NJ. Heck, Alabama’s 10 star NJ cornerback just got owned by a walkon. ;)

Clearly with the almost hiring of Beatty and the now hiring of Reno, Coach Babers has eyes on the MD,DC, VA, South NJ/PA area. A guy who’s been working Towson for 3 years should know NJ coaches by now.

a native of Youngstown, OH - that can't hurt
Cardinal Mooney HS.

Here is a story on how Reno got starting coaching college football. It was just by happenstance.

Sounds like a really interesting guy. Still has a lot of love for Army.

Linkage

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom