Report: NC State to fire Mark Gottfried at end of season | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Report: NC State to fire Mark Gottfried at end of season

Haha I'd take Smith in a second but he was one and done coming in. Rowan got hot against SU and I think you are severely overrating Abu/Kapita. That team is a mess and Syracuse's current roster is much better constructed than that dumpster fire in Raleigh. But I agree that Gott is a miserable x's and o's coach.

I know Dennis Smith is one and done. I didn't say Abu was some stud but he bangs around and can score and rebound consistently. He is EXACTLY who we want Roberson to be. The guy averages 13/9. Kapita has a nice future, IMO. Henderson is good, too. Our roster is not better constructed, lol. A big part of our struggles. My point was Boeheim. Give him those players and we would love it.

Last edited:
I don't know who. Smith is off to the NBA. The staff has zero connection with Rowan. Yurtse7en would be the only one possible, but next year's squad is pretty full in the front court (unless Chukwu is done-done) and Omer has been a much bigger project then anticipated.
I'd take Omer as a transfer. Were losing both Coleman, Robey and Lydon this season. Were going to need body's to fill those positions.

Now, since Gotfried is getting fired, does that allow for a student too transfer without having too sit out the year, or is that only when coaches decide to leave?

NC State should recruit Kevin Keats from UNCW.

Gottfried is like an arson-firefighter, his MO seems to create an issue then sweep in to save the day.

I believe they did sign a guard in this recruiting class, he would be free to choose another school if Gottfried was let go. Not sure how good he is but if that might be an option to look into considering how we are struggling getting guards at this point. Also wouldn't a transfer in conference have to sit out 2 years according to ACC rules?

Who will replace the Gott man?

Richard Pitino Jr?
If Pitino, Jr takes the job, would there be a possibility that Isiah Washington becomes available again? If he does, Syracuse should do everything (within ethnically and legal means) to sign him to a scholarship.

I know Dennis Smith is one and done. I didn't say Abu was some stud but he bangs around and can score and rebound consistently. He is EXACTLY who we want to Roberson to be. The guy averages 13/9. Kapita has a nice future, IMO. Our roster is not better constructed, lol. A big part of our struggles. My point was Boeheim. Give him those players and we would love it.
Yes SU's roster is much better constructed. Boeheim may have been able to squeeze a couple more wins with NC State's roster, as he is a much better x's and o's coach than Gott but you are not doing much with the State roster.

Roberson and Abu are a wash. Abu has the better offensive game but Roberson is better defensively. Abu plays most of the game also and is a 2nd or 3rd offensive option where Roberson is not. Smith we can agree he is a stud and the best prospect on both teams. White > Rowan/Battle>Dorn/Lydon>any forward on NC State's roster and Taurean Thompson and Yurtseven are a wash.

Not sure where you think NC State is hiding this great talent. Not saying SU is constructed perfectly either but they are definitely a better team with better talent.

Yes SU's roster is much better constructed. Boeheim may have been able to squeeze a couple more wins with NC State's roster, as he is a much better x's and o's coach than Gott but you are not doing much with the State roster.

Roberson and Abu are a wash. Abu has the better offensive game but Roberson is better defensively. Abu plays most of the game also and is a 2nd or 3rd offensive option where Roberson is not. Smith we can agree he is a stud and the best prospect on both teams. White > Rowan/Battle>Dorn/Lydon>any forward on NC State's roster and Taurean Thompson and Yurtseven are a wash.

Not sure where you think NC State is hiding this great talent. Not saying SU is constructed perfectly either but they are definitely a better team with better talent.

Abu and Roberson a wash??! No way. Roberson doesn't play more because he CAN'T score or disapperars most of the time. Certainly not if you ask Beoeheim, ha. We just have to agree to disagree on this. I see tons of talent on NC St just bad coaching. Boeheim is getting everything out of this bunch beacuse they are limited to a certain degree.

If you asked every coach in the league if they could take Abu or Robey you think it would be split evenly in half? I think Abu would win by a lot.

If you asked every coach in the league if they could take Abu or Robey you think it would be split evenly in half? I think Abu would win by a lot.

Yes I do and I disagree with you. You are overrating Abu.

Last season was Abu's best statistical season at NC ST. Abu averaged 29 minutes a game/shot 49%/averaged 13 pts per game and 8.8 rb's.

Last season was also Roberson's best season. he averaged 30.8 min a game/shot 52.6%/averaged 8.8 pts per game and 8.5 rebounds.

The only thing I can take out of that is that they are similar players. I prefer Roberson defensively to Abu.

Yes I do and I disagree with you. You are overrating Abu.

Last season was Abu's best statistical season at NC ST. Abu averaged 29 minutes a game/shot 49%/averaged 13 pts per game and 8.8 rb's.

Last season was also Roberson's best season. he averaged 30.8 min a game/shot 52.6%/averaged 8.8 pts per game and 8.5 rebounds.

The only thing I can take out of that is that they are similar players. I prefer Roberson defensively to Abu.

I'm not bashing Roberson or anything but what makes you think he is such a good defender? Roberson's FG% is higher because all he can do is dunk or lay it up. Sometimes not so well. Abu can be counted on to make a post move and make a short jumper. Roberson cannot. Let me guess...you think Roberson is better than somebody like Isaiah Hicks, too?

I'm not bashing Roberson or anything but what makes you think he is such a good defender? Roberson's FG% is higher because all he can do is dunk or lay it up. Sometimes not so well. Abu can be counted on to make a post move and make a short jumper. Roberson cannot. Let me guess...you think Roberson is better than somebody like Isaiah Hicks, too?

I have never said Roberson is a great defender fyi. I have said that he is a better defender than Malik Abu, which is not saying much. Not quite sure where you came up with that one as Hicks is much better than both.

Ok I surrender, Abu has a much better jumper from within 5 feet of the rim. NC State is much more talented than SU.

I have never said Roberson is a great defender fyi. I have said that he is a better defender than Malik Abu, which is not saying much. Not quite sure where you came up with that one as Hicks is much better than both.

Ok I surrender, Abu has a much better jumper from within 5 feet of the rim. NC State is much more talented than SU.

It's all good man. Fun debates. I don't necessarily think that they are that more talented per se. Just more guys able and ready to contribute postively, I guess. Cheers.

I know Dennis Smith is one and done. I didn't say Abu was some stud but he bangs around and can score and rebound consistently. He is EXACTLY who we want Roberson to be. The guy averages 13/9. Kapita has a nice future, IMO. Henderson is good, too. Our roster is not better constructed, lol. A big part of our struggles. My point was Boeheim. Give him those players and we would love it.

I think getting DSJ was a bit of a curse for them not that I think Gottfried is a good coach... He knows he's a one and done and has zero interest in playing D... combined with another very weak defender in Rowan and its a revolving door up top. Kapita had a good game and seems to be a good defender but he isn't even playing (though its unclear if that's more disciplinary)... Yurt7 is good on offense but terrible on D. I like Abu and Henderson but they are not stars...

Gott either has no idea how to coach defense or recruited all players who have no interest in playing defense... and as things went so much worse than expectations they have definitely given up... So there is really no choice after last year and this year.

They didn't announce anything but I'm not sure why it got leaked if it was on purpose... Archie already knows they want him (though he'll probably have better options if he does not have a huge drive to rescue his alum). Thats a tough job playing 3rd fiddle to UNC and Duke with fanbase expectation to be Jimmy V.

On offense it's debatable NCS has more talent. They are the somewhere around #300 in defensive efficiency and yes some of that is on coaching but to be that bad they really don't have a talented defender on the whole squad... Anya was good on D before he had the weight problems. Syracuse has more talent than State and better coaching as much as we looked like we didn't even practice earlier in the year.

NC State should recruit Kevin Keats from UNCW.

Gottfried is like an arson-firefighter, his MO seems to create an issue then sweep in to save the day.
That's the other name discussed on PackPride.

Archie Miller is the first and only candidate. If he says no, look for NC State to really scramble.
I'm seeing people like Goodman, etc saying "sources" have told them Miller won't take the NC st job

I'd take Omer as a transfer. Were losing both Coleman, Robey and Lydon this season. Were going to need body's to fill those positions.

Now, since Gotfried is getting fired, does that allow for a student too transfer without having too sit out the year, or is that only when coaches decide to leave?

I expect Omer to declare and end up playing professionally in Europe next year. Don;t think his one year experiment brought him the benefits he was hoping for. Interesting to note that N.C. State will likely have no more than seven returning players next year (assuming Omer and Scott are gone), have only one signed commit and, according to verbalcommits have no other offers out. Could be a very difficult time in Raleigh.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom