Report on SU's virtual graduation ceremony today (read down) | Syracusefan.com

Report on SU's virtual graduation ceremony today (read down)

cto

Administrator
.. and is developing plans on how to replace them (because of the coronavirus).

In so doing, the school joins many other schools throughout the nation.

Here is the Daily Orange article about the decision

Last edited:
.. will be developing plans on how to replace them.

And I thought having Alexander Haig as the featured speaker was a disappointment.

I feed so sorry for all the people that worked so hard and have lost their special time of recognition.

They made the decision last week to cancel Kansas State graduation. My friend has a daughter graduating this year and she's heartbroken to lose her last two months with her friends, she had an art show cancelled and now graduation. It's really too bad for the seniors.

They made the decision last week to cancel Kansas State graduation. My friend has a daughter graduating this year and she's heartbroken to lose her last two months with her friends, she had an art show cancelled and now graduation. It's really too bad for the seniors.
I bet they all thought they would eventually return this year as well. I would have too. Just terrible luck.

And I thought having Alexander Haig as the featured speaker was a disappointment.

I feed so sorry for all the people that worked so hard and have lost their special time of recognition.
Lol. That was my class. First commencement in the Carrier Dome in 1981. I recall the protests like the fake nuns covered with blood and some students standing and turning their back to Haig as he spoke. Feel so bad for the class of 2020 to have to go to these extremes to graduate with a commencement ceremony. Tough way to end your SU graduation.

Feel beyond awful for all the seniors at Syracuse and all around the country (high school too). Missing out on so many experiences they can literally never get back.
Yup, the high school kids are missing out on prom, class trips, all that fun senior stuff. Juniors-no prom plus even stuff like taking the SAT's and things no one thinks about. I really don't know how these kids are going to get graded. This online stuff for them is nowhere near the same.

College kids are losing out as well. Especially the seniors. It's very sad, but everyone is affected. Hope they learn to stay home.

Eh no one remembers t in the drunken stupor

.. and is developing plans on how to replace them (because of the coronavirus).

Here is the Daily Orange article about the decision

WVU announces Wednesday, and I'm sure they will follow suit. No big deal. Just my PhD :(

Yep. One of my nieces is a senior at KU...she’s quite bummed. :(

I spent more time at 44s second semester than Newhouse. This stinks for the kids

I mistakenly stacked up 18 credit hours of engineering classes my last semester. I tied one on at Senior celebration party

I had a light final semester and I received my MBA in what was referred to as the ISDP program. ISDP stood for independent study degree program. This was a program ahead of its time in the early to mid nineties and was essentially distance with enough class time to meet the accreditation requirements. During the three years it took me to earn my degree I was on campus for three weeks per year. This was the best option for me to earn my degree as I had two young daughters at the time.

During my last semester, I received some literature about commencement. My then wife said something about attending and I told her that I didn't feel the need to make the trip just for the ceremonies. At this point she put her foot down. The conversation went something like this:

Her: You may not want to do it for yourself but you are going to do it for me. I have spent three years raising this family while you have had your nose buried in books and I want a chance to celebrate.

Me: Ok, I can't argue with that so I guess I am going through commencement. However, if I do that I am going up early to have one last blowout with the boys.

At this point she said one of the most remarkable things that anyone has ever said to me.

Her: Don't you be hung over when we get there on Friday.

Huh? What do you think one last blowout with the boys means? I thought but didn't dare say out loud.

Fast forward to the Thursday before the family was to arrive the following day. Sometime around 2:30 AM at the Dinosaur I relayed this story to my friend Steve. Steve gave the " are you freaking kidding me" look but didn't comment. I was still annoyed at this attempt to deny me of a proper reason to be hung over the next day so I came up with a plan. I told Steve that my plan to not be hung over consisted of staying drunk until they arrived. Ok, this is a bad plan but it seemed like a damned fine idea at 2:30 in the Dino.

This ended predictably, with me passing out not long after the plan was formed and waking up with one of the worst (but well deserved) hangovers I have ever endured. to make matters worse the temperatures that Friday, at least for most of the day, were in the 90's. I did my best to try and hydrate so as not to appear as hung over as I actually was but this was going to be a multi day hang over for sure.

When the family, including my parents who made the trip from St Louis, pulled into the hotel parking lot a big black cloud loomed on the horizon. We were unable to get all of the luggage inside prior to the deluge, and I do mean deluge.

It rained all day Saturday and temps were in the 40's. My condition had improved and although functional I was not yet 100% recovered from my Thursday/Friday hangover. Saturday finished with a lovely ceremony for B school grads at Hendricks Chapel.

When I woke up on Sunday morning, the day of the huge commencement in the Dome, I looked out the window thinking- I hope it isn't still raining. Well, I got my wish because there was no precipitation on that sunny morning but there was six inches of newly fallen snow. Welcome to May in Syracuse!

I was dropped off near the Dome while my family looked for scarce parking. As I stood in front of Crouse College finishing my bagel and coffee a young lady approaches. She was wearing a light spring dress and open toed shoes and no coat while she trudged up the stairs. As she passed me we both just laughed as there was no other thing to do.
As for the ceremony, this was the year before the current roof was put in place. During the actual ceremony water from the melting snow would fall from the roof and pelt a group of grads.

I am so glad that I went through commencement and have such great, lasting memories. I am very sad that this year's grads don't get their moment in the sun...or snow, it is Syracuse after all!

Don't get me wrong, but I feel that this is an overreaction. Unfortunately, stuff happens. Are they inviting graduates back to Syracuse for the ceremony?

Don't get me wrong, but I feel that this is an overreaction. Unfortunately, stuff happens. Are they inviting graduates back to Syracuse for the ceremony?
Sure sounds like it. I wonder if they will show off the new sound system, lighting and scoreboards for graduation. That would be interesting.

I assumed they would do this.. every college I have talked with has the same plans.. its almost like a reunion but in yr 1..

Chancellor KS called it the “stadium”. Not the Dome or Carrier Dome. Hmmm.