RIP - Joan Rivers | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP - Joan Rivers

A polarizing figure in the entertainment industry, for sure. An ever present figure throughout my life. My fondest memories were of her doing stand up on various TV shows (60s, 70s & 80s). Without a doubt, those sets were her at her best for me.

Aside from all the cosmetic surgery nonsense, her (& Melissa) seem to be the kind of people you could sit next to on a plane & have a random conversation about nothing in particular.

Joan was able to walk a thin line of mocking public figures who had it coming to them and still being able to remain very likable herself. In later years, she lost her mark on that line and was mean to just about everybody. All the same, in her earlier years she was a real trailblazer as a woman comic. She really paid her dues.

Joan was the female Don Rickles. They came from the same scathing side of comedy, took on all comers, were cutting edge, and ahead of their times. BUT...as scathing as they were, they got away with it because people knew what good people they were. Rickles is now the last of that generation of comedians. Very sad to see an age near it's end.

Joan was the female Don Rickles. They came from the same scathing side of comedy, took on all comers, were cutting edge, and ahead of their times. BUT...as scathing as they were, they got away with it because people knew what good people they were. Rickles is now the last of that generation of comedians. Very sad to see an age near it's end.

Both Rickles and Rivers were one of a kind. To call Rivers a female Don Rickles doesn't quite do her justice in that it was so much harder for a woman to pull it off than for a man. The best comedians, or entertainers, are the ones who forged their own way and found their own unique voice. Both Rickles and Rivers did that.

Rivers pushed the envelope, saying things middle class, TV-watching Americans didn't expect to hear from a woman. With the credibility that comes with an insider's point of view she lampooned celebrity itself, helping a culture obsessed with it to see it a different light.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom