RIP Martin Januszkiewicz | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

RIP Martin Januszkiewicz

Yes, from memory I recall the 1971 opening tie with Wisconsin when Earle Baugher missed the PAT following a two minute drive by new QB Bob Woodruff - utterly painful.

We were hoping for a big year with the black players back but didn't get it. Maybe it was too much to ask after what had happened.

We were hoping for a big year with the black players back but didn't get it. Maybe it was too much to ask after what had happened.
Others who lived through that era may disagree with me, but I think we came damn close to losing the football program.

Great defense, but not enough speed on offense and mediocre QB play.

Missed Tony Gabriel, Randy Zur, Paul Paolisso and Ray White - who was moved from DL to WB in 1970 because of his amazing speed.

Great defense, but not enough speed on offense and mediocre QB play.

Missed Tony Gabriel, Randy Zur, Paul Paolisso and Ray White - who was moved from DL to WB in 1970 because of his amazing speed.

Ron Page has speed to burn but both starting RBs were fullbacks, and we threw 4TD passes and 9 picks! Greg Allen could have been on that team but contracted hepatitis.

Last edited:
Yes we did - in the late 40's too. But we got Schwartzwalder to come here then and built the Carrier Dome in late 79s- and had to be able to fill it.

Others who lived through that era may disagree with me, but I think we came damn close to losing the football program.
We did.

But Schwartzwalder always blamed the demise of his program on Chancellor John Corbally’s Study on Football that considered de-emphasis - moving football to a lower division.

We did.

But Schwartzwalder always blamed the demise of his program on Chancellor John Corbally’s Study on Football that considered de-emphasis - moving football to a lower division.
I think it was a combination to two-platoon football, the black revolt, the Corbally study and facilities that were horrendous or non-existent. Ol' Ben was a miracle worker but he didn't have enough miracles to overcome all of that.

I think it was a combination to two-platoon football, the black revolt, the Corbally study and facilities that were horrendous or non-existent. Ol' Ben was a miracle worker but he didn't have enough miracles to overcome all of that.
Schwartzwalder attributed his recruiting issues to the Study. He discounted the Syracuse 8 development.

Two platoon football didn't affect the Orange during the 1960s - arguably Ben's strongest years on the Hill.

No doubt that by 1971, Archbold could not compete with the home venue of our chief rival - Beaver Stadium - and other opponent venues.

And, it became clear that the Manley indoor practice experiment was not a success - the dirt floor was intolerable.

So, yes, economics were becoming an issue toward the end of the Schwartzwalder era.

Manley has now failed twice in its attempt to be an indoor football facility. Who would have thought that its biggest impact would be for the basketball program?

Schwartzwalder attributed his recruiting issues to the Study. He discounted the Syracuse 8 development.

Two platoon football didn't affect the Orange during the 1960s - arguably Ben's strongest years on the Hill.

No doubt that by 1971, Archbold could not compete with the home venue of our chief rival - Beaver Stadium - and other opponent venues.

And, it became clear that the Manley indoor practice experiment was not a success - the dirt floor was intolerable.

So, yes, economics were becoming an issue toward the end of the Schwartzwalder era.

Floyd Little was predicting losing seasons when he left in 1966. Syracuse was one of many powers from the limited substitution, (one platoon) era that declined sharply in the late 60's and early 70's.

Floyd Little was predicting losing seasons when he left in 1966. Syracuse was one of many powers from the limited substitution, (one platoon) era that declined sharply in the late 60's and early 70's.
Platoon football had nothing to do with what developed in 1972.

Platoon football had nothing to do with what developed in 1972.

It had everything to do with the general trend from the mid-60's into the 70's when the big state school programs came to dominate the sport and schools like Syracuse faded. it wasn't the only factor for SU but it was a factors for schools like SU.

Let's look at the period when the NCAA tried to enforce one platoon football through the rulebook:

Now let's look at the same period of time after that:

The lists are very different. other than the 'special cases' of Notre Dame and Southern California and some mid-majors, it's dominated by the big state schools that could recruit in the depth needed for two platoon football. That plus the crumbling facilities, the black revolt and Corbally's committee all were factors in the decline of the SU football program over the latter part of Ben Schwartzwalder's tenure. It wasn't just one thing.

RIP Marty.

Never saw him play but I remember all the pictures in the HA every Sunday. He looked like a tough guy.
I saw little of him as I was in the USN 70-74, seldom could catch any games. Condolences to his family and friends.

Manley has now failed twice in its attempt to be an indoor football facility. Who would have thought that its biggest impact would be for the basketball program?
I think it served its purpose the second time. It wasn't perfect, but it worked as a stop gap while the AD worked to convince people in charge a legitimate facility was necessary if we wanted to be competitive.

I think it served its purpose the second time. It wasn't perfect, but it worked as a stop gap while the AD worked to convince people in charge a legitimate facility was necessary if we wanted to be competitive.

Donors were a part of that convincing.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom