"Roberson is the most disappointing player ever at Syracuse" | Syracusefan.com

"Roberson is the most disappointing player ever at Syracuse"

Status
Not open for further replies.
I paraphrase but don't think that's much of an exaggeration from what was posted here a few weeks ago by some rocket scientist.

I remember seeing something like that as well. I asked one person for their comments after last night who had made similar comments but I don't believe they have responded to me yet.

I paraphrase but don't think that's much of an exaggeration from what was posted here a few weeks ago by some rocket scientist.
In fairness, I have been skeptical of Tyler's desire to play the game at times. I have never expressed them on this board because I root for all of our guys, but at the same time he has been rather lackadaisical in many games over his career. I am the first person to be excited for one of our players when they have a great game, in Tyler's instance he has been great the past three. I don't think our fans have been unfair about Tyler because we all know how physically gifted he is and it is frustrating when he hides in the games. I think this post is silly, because until recently he hasn't strung together consistent effort which is what a lot of people were frustrated about. With that said, I am super pumped for him because I think he may have turned the proverbial corner. Let's see if he can continue being aggressive.

Yep, I remember it too. I was in full defend the poor lad mode last week. And I couldn't be happier for him today. Next step in his development, turn those pick and rolls with G from the top of the key into monster tomahawk dunks! I think we'll see a few of those the remainder of the year. Tyler JUST TRY AND BEAT ME TO THE BASKETBALL !!! Roberson!

In fairness, I have been skeptical of Tyler's desire to play the game at times. I have never expressed them on this board because I root for all of our guys, but at the same time he has been rather lackadaisical in many games over his career. I am the first person to be excited for one of our players when they have a great game, in Tyler's instance he has been great the past three. I don't think our fans have been unfair about Tyler because we all know how physically gifted he is and it is frustrating when he hides in the games. I think this post is silly, because until recently he hasn't strung together consistent effort which is what a lot of people were frustrated about. With that said, I am super pumped for him because I think he may have turned the proverbial corner. Let's see if he can continue being aggressive.

I am not suggesting a few good games means anyone who has been disappointed is wrong. I am suggesting that to say that a player who keeps his nose clean and works hard and is by all indications a team first guy is historically disappointing before they are even halfway thru their junior season is ridiculous...and an overreaction to a disappointing stretch for the team.

Lackadaisical doesn't really seem like the right word for Tyler. he hustles his ass off all the time. He's always running the court on offense, even though he pretty much never gets the ball in that situation. His offensive rebounding, which has a hell of a lot to do with effort, should speak for itself. He doesn't change his expression on the court, but the way he plays speaks volumes.

I'm not trying to say he's a great player, but he's pretty solid and he plays as hard as you can ask for. I think next year, assuming Chukwu is what we think, and Lydon can move to the 4, Roberson will have a really solid year as a glue guy type.

Lackadaisical doesn't really seem like the right word for Tyler. he hustles his ass off all the time. He's always running the court on offense, even though he pretty much never gets the ball in that situation. His offensive rebounding, which has a hell of a lot to do with effort, should speak for itself. He doesn't change his expression on the court, but the way he plays speaks volumes.

I'm not trying to say he's a great player, but he's pretty solid and he plays as hard as you can ask for. I think next year, assuming Chukwu is what we think, and Lydon can move to the 4, Roberson will have a really solid year as a glue guy type.
Maybe that was the wrong word choice. What I was trying to express is that we all knew he had this in him and were waiting for him to finally break out. Trust me, I am just as excited over the Tyler Roberson we have seen lately as anyone!

I am not suggesting a few good games means anyone who has been disappointed is wrong. I am suggesting that to say that a player who keeps his nose clean and works hard and is by all indications a team first guy is historically disappointing before they are even halfway thru their junior season is ridiculous...and an overreaction to a disappointing stretch for the team.
Completely agree.

He has tied together some great games in a row, I think that was the complaint about him. He was the 31st ranked prospect in his class and even with his great games he still is NOWHERE near consistent with his jumper.

Coming in he was compared to Billy Owens, a guy that would probably play the 3 that could handle the ball and knock down some three point shots all while being a beast on the boards.

The only thing off that list he's done is be a beast on the boards and even that hasn't been consistent over more than a 3 game stretch and we're about midway through his Jr. year.

I don't think it's fair that you're calling out a poster when he's looking back at 2 and a half season in which case he really wasn't wrong after Roberson has a monster game. There is no debate that Tyler is capable of being a rebounding machine, but his consistency has just not been there.

I know I've said in the past that the biggest issue has been consecutive disappointing recruiting classes. In particular the class of 2013 which was five guys and of those, only Ennis was a consistent ACC level player.

Well now Roberson is one too, and we're much improved. Who would have thought?

Tyler is a guy who is going to rebound like a mother, play as hard as he can, and maybe contribute some buckets in the pick and roll. He's not a foundational player or anything, but if he is your third best front line player (possible next year) you can have a hell of a team

One of the best things that could have happened for Tyler actually happened last night. Mike G was able to, for the first time this season or so it seems, actually convert the pass to Tyler on the roll not once but twice. That makes all the difference. It's hard to play with as much effort as Roberson does on the boards and then not ever see the ball come to you in a place where you can succeed with it on the offensive end. It motivates your entire game.

He has tied together some great games in a row, I think that was the complaint about him. He was the 31st ranked prospect in his class and even with his great games he still is NOWHERE near consistent with his jumper.

Coming in he was compared to Billy Owens, a guy that would probably play the 3 that could handle the ball and knock down some three point shots all while being a beast on the boards.

The only thing off that list he's done is be a beast on the boards and even that hasn't been consistent over more than a 3 game stretch and we're about midway through his Jr. year.

I'm not sure who made comparisons to Billy Owens but I know I made some comments regarding Dennis Rodman and how TR could model his game after his. The only thing stopping him was the inconsistencies. Seventeen rebounds one game and three the next. And I think he is trying to show how he has been working hard on the offensive end. That mid range J keeps some people honest and opens the floor for our other guys. I still like to see him take it a couple times per game but I don't think anyone is going to be comparing him to Larry Bird. However he has improved.

Yep, I remember it too. I was in full defend the poor lad mode last week. And I couldn't be happier for him today. Next step in his development, turn those pick and rolls with G from the top of the key into monster tomahawk dunks! I think we'll see a few of those the remainder of the year. Tyler JUST TRY AND BEAT ME TO THE BASKETBALL !!! Roberson!
Actually it would mean a lot more if he could develop a nice 10-15 foot jump shot.

I'm not sure who made comparisons to Billy Owens but I know I made some comments regarding Dennis Rodman and how TR could model his game after his. The only thing stopping him was the inconsistencies. Seventeen rebounds one game and three the next. And I think he is trying to show how he has been working hard on the offensive end. That mid range J keeps some people honest and opens the floor for our other guys. I still like to see him take it a couple times per game but I don't think anyone is going to be comparing him to Larry Bird. However he has improved.

Maybe the coaches just need to tell him we are playing Duke every game, because he seems to elevate his game when they are the opponent.

I don't think it's fair that you're calling out a poster when he's looking back at 2 and a half season in which case he really wasn't wrong after Roberson has a monster game. There is no debate that Tyler is capable of being a rebounding machine, but his consistency has just not been there.

More concerning is that someone compared him to Billy Owens. Roberson was a nice prospect but he was not anything like Billy. This is not an insult against Roberson. Billy was a consensus top 2 player in the country behind Alonzo and would have been surefire one and done in current era. games are totally different.

Cuse!

Some wag mentioned in another thread that perhaps he's realized Jimmy has no bench, so he's not gonna get pulled and can play without fear. There might be something to that. :D

It's a board myth that he is just now stringing together good performances. He played very well in conference as a sophomore after being asked to assume a larger role, with some big scoring and/or rebounding games, and actually averaged 8.8 ppg and 8.4 rpg in ACC games. You could look it up.

Some wag mentioned in another thread that perhaps he's realized Jimmy has no bench, so he's not gonna get pulled and can play without fear. There might be something to that. :D

I would understand that but there hasn't been anybody behind him since his freshman year.

Probably not going to have much confidence in that shot when his coach calls him out for shooting it in the post game interview lol.

Yes, there is that. Hard to showcase your smooth release when you are being hounded to never leave the paint. But when he does take it late in the clock, he has a nice release, and makes it enough for me to say keep shooting it. But with no other offensive glass eater, his role has been defined to limit those jump shot opportunities. I think that is the bigger factor, not his inability to make it.

I've seen TR, on at least a few different occasions around here, grouped in with the "My 3 Sons was one of the biggest recruiting busts ever at SU" mantra.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
whodatnatn

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom