Roberson Question | Syracusefan.com

Roberson Question

TerryM

Scout Team
Why does everyone on the board seem to imply Roberson is/could be incredible? IS there something other than highlight reels that indicate he might be exceptional?

Why does everyone on the board seem to imply Roberson is/could be incredible? IS there something other than highlight reels that indicate he might be exceptional?

Yes, he took a team that has never gotten very far to the NJ Tournament of Champions championship. That's a very big deal, and he knocked off a couple really top 10 in the country type programs in St. Anthony's and St. Benedict's to do it. He was the NJ Player of the Year last year, and let me tell you, there were quite a few good players in NJ last year. We've seen a number of his games from last spring, not just his highlight tapes. Look around. He's a very impressive player. Good motor, good moves around the rim, and he has an outside jumper. Very solid rebounder and very good defender. The only knock people could say is that (a) he is kind of a tweener, and (b) he's not super athletic. But those kinds of players can do very well at SU. To me, he's like a Ryan Blackwell kind of player. He could have more upside than that, but that's what I've seen in his game so far.

Top NJ kids are highly skilled. He had a terrific high school career. I am really optimistic about his chances of contributing. Would be nice to get some first hand observations from scrimmages, etc. but we'll have to wait awhile for that. Of course we won't really know until the games begin.

If he gets through the NCAA clearinghouse in order to play, the way the NCAA has been acting lately, one never knows.

I feel like Tyler is more skilled offensively coming in than any forward we have brought in in quite a while possibly as far back as Donte.

Yes, he took a team that has never gotten very far to the NJ Tournament of Champions championship. That's a very big deal, and he knocked off a couple really top 10 in the country type programs in St. Anthony's and St. Benedict's to do it. He was the NJ Player of the Year last year, and let me tell you, there were quite a few good players in NJ last year. We've seen a number of his games from last spring, not just his highlight tapes. Look around. He's a very impressive player. Good motor, good moves around the rim, and he has an outside jumper. Very solid rebounder and very good defender. The only knock people could say is that (a) he is kind of a tweener, and (b) he's not super athletic. But those kinds of players can do very well at SU. To me, he's like a Ryan Blackwell kind of player. He could have more upside than that, but that's what I've seen in his game so far.

I have to strongly disagree that his athleticism is a weakness. He's crazy long, runs like a gazelle, and has plenty quickness and hops. Also, I think you meant they beat St. Joseph's not St. Benedicts. Benedicts is Ennis and Briscoe's high school. Benedicts only lost twice all year, one of those in the national championship against heavy favorite Montverde on ESPN where they led for a majority of the game and saw their lead dwindle when Ennis got hurt. Although St. Joseph's who they beat had Karl Towns who is a top 10 player and UK commit.

Here's a pretty good highlight tape from his senior year

We didn't get Bjorn and we're overcompensating. We're just stupid like that.

I hope so. Today was the 1st day of classes.

Did some quick research because I too was curious. Hope this doesnt come off creepy but I blame the internet for making it so easy. Looks like this Kenny Lacy kid is a freshman at Cuse so Id say its pretty legit Roberson is at least on campus taking classes.
  1. Kenny Lacy@KLacy023h
  2. Spanish class with a basketball player!!!
  3. Details Expand Collapse
  1. Reply

I have to strongly disagree that his athleticism is a weakness. He's crazy long, runs like a gazelle, and has plenty quickness and hops. Also, I think you meant they beat St. Joseph's not St. Benedicts. Benedicts is Ennis and Briscoe's high school. Benedicts only lost twice all year, one of those in the national championship against heavy favorite Montverde on ESPN where they led for a majority of the game and saw their lead dwindle when Ennis got hurt. Although St. Joseph's who they beat had Karl Towns who is a top 10 player and UK commit.

Forgot how awesome this mix is. Has a ton of clips of Roberson embarrassing Towns - who looked like he was openly pouting about how badly he was being dismantled.

Especially the block at 3:30. Just nasty.

I didn't say his athleticism was a weakness. I said it was not at the level of some of the elite players, like say McCullouch. He's not a super dunk-a-thon guy. Of course he's athletic. He was the best player in NJ. Tyler Ennis is also a great player, but you wouldn't call his athleticism elite, either.

He reminds me of Anthony Davis how he is just everywhere making plays. Most of those highlights he is blocking a shot then getting the ball, then making an outlet pass for an easy two. Or he blocks a shot beats everyone down the floor either gets a tip in or gets the ball and scores.

Guy has a high motor and just awesome instincts. You can see him just be patient on defense and then come in and block a shot. Or stay in position to get a rebound.

He reminds me of Anthony Davis how he is just everywhere making plays. Most of those highlights he is blocking a shot then getting the ball, then making an outlet pass for an easy two. Or he blocks a shot beats everyone down the floor either gets a tip in or gets the ball and scores.

Guy has a high motor and just awesome instincts. You can see him just be patient on defense and then come in and block a shot. Or stay in position to get a rebound.

Well, he's 2 or 3 inches shorter than Anthony Davis, so don't go there. Yes, he is a terrific player, and you know, my Blackwell comparison is not intended as an insult. Ryan was a top 30 kid coming out of HS, and had the same ability to score close to the basket, using the glass, hustling to get offensive rebounds. And I will also say that Roberson's athleticism improved toward the end of last year, compared to his previous summer's highlight films from the AAU circuit. (And Blackwell's declined a bit, as he got kind of thicker in his time on the Hill ...)

Well, he's 2 or 3 inches shorter than Anthony Davis, so don't go there. Yes, he is a terrific player, and you know, my Blackwell comparison is not intended as an insult. Ryan was a top 30 kid coming out of HS, and had the same ability to score close to the basket, using the glass, hustling to get offensive rebounds. And I will also say that Roberson's athleticism improved toward the end of last year, compared to his previous summer's highlight films from the AAU circuit. (And Blackwell's declined a bit, as he got kind of thicker in his time on the Hill ...)

I specifically said how he's like Anthony Davis in how he makes a lot of plays everywhere. Wasn't saying he has a similar game or is a similar player or "he's going to be the next Anthony Davis". I just remember watching highlights of Anthony Davis and he would block a shot beat everyone down the court and get the pass and score. Roberson did that a bunch in that video so rip me all you like. I was just saying like Anthony Davis guy hustles and has good instincts. I guess I'm an idiot for saying that.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom