Roscoe Smith leaving uconn.. | Syracusefan.com

Roscoe Smith leaving uconn..

nyucuse

2nd String
wow.

Could be a very, very tough year next season for JC and co. Amazing thing is that aside from the completely unexpected fantasy tourney run of Kemba Walker, this program has been in severe decline for a number of years. They have not had a winning BE record in FOUR seasons. The Kemba season was sandwiched by two incredibly underperforming seasons. Two top 10 preseason teams, one of which didn't even make the NIT, and the other which also was under .5o0 in the BE and had to sweat out Selection Sunday only to get get blown out in the first round.

JC is a tough as nails coach and you can't count him out, but I don't see a Kemba Walker miracle run next year. They could be in serious trouble, and potentially permamently.

wow.

Could be a very, very tough year next season for JC and co. Amazing thing is that aside from the completely unexpected fantasy tourney run of Kemba Walker, this program has been in severe decline for a number of years. They have not had a winning BE record in FOUR seasons. The Kemba season was sandwiched by two incredibly underperforming seasons. Two top 10 preseason teams, one of which didn't even make the NIT, and the other which also was under .5o0 in the BE and had to sweat out Selection Sunday only to get get blown out in the first round.

JC is a tough as nails coach and you can't count him out, but I don't see a Kemba Walker miracle run next year. They could be in serious trouble, and potentially permamently.

He'd be the greatest coach in history if he won it with next years squad as it currently stands.

:rolling:

I know their fans think they'd be ok, but I think this one stings the most, totally out of left field. When you have 5 players leave your program (and none due to graduation), 4 of whom started at one point, that's an issue. I'm wondering DeAndre Daniels will be the next to jump ship...

However, this shows how important it is for us to fix our APR for 2013-2014. We don't want a mass exodus like this.

Wow. Did not see this coming at all. They might be looking at a Depaul-like season next year.

So, do the guys who bolt due to APR still have to sit out a year? It hardly seems worth it if they do.

Wow. Did not see this coming at all. They might be looking at a Depaul-like season next year.
Guard play with Napier, Boatright and Calhoun (assuming all are back) is still very formidable, but they have nothing else. Assuming every all stays and they add someone like Bradley Hayes, I'd bet they still get 5 Big East wins, which should be enough to stay out of the basement.

So, do the guys who bolt due to APR still have to sit out a year? It hardly seems worth it if they do.
Oriahki doesn't have to sit out
Lamb/Drummond went to the draft
Bradley will most likely get a waiver due to his grandmother being very sick back home in Tennessee
I don't think Smith would get the same waiver Oriahki did, but he'd still have 2 years of eligibility left after he sat out a year.

Geez. Napier might average 47 points a game next year. Albeit on 30% shooting.

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a top-3 class for 2013. Might look a lot like SJU's from last year, at least b4 they had their own academic issues.

Oriahki doesn't have to sit out
Lamb/Drummond went to the draft
Bradley will most likely get a waiver due to his grandmother being very sick back home in Tennessee
I don't think Smith would get the same waiver Oriahki did, but he'd still have 2 years of eligibility left after he sat out a year.
I think they all get a waiver due to the ban, don't they.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2

:rolling:

I know their fans think they'd be ok, but I think this one stings the most, totally out of left field. When you have 5 players leave your program (and none due to graduation), 4 of whom started at one point, that's an issue. I'm wondering DeAndre Daniels will be the next to jump ship...

However, this shows how important it is for us to fix our APR for 2013-2014. We don't want a mass exodus like this.

I looked at the APR before; caw pointed out you need something like a 900 score over a 4 year stretch going into 14, or a 930 over 2 years (caw, if you're reading this thread, please chime in and correct me if I'm wrong). Anyway, I forget the details, but based on what he said (and as a Uconn fan I'm sure he has been following the APR thing closer than us) unless something utterly ridiculous happens, we should be fine for 2014. (Like, even if Mookie, Dion, and Fab all left, I think we'd be ok)

Dont you lose a point for a transfer (regardless of academic standing) uconn cold be in trouble again soon

-Syracuse should be fine in 2014 as long as the kids leaving finish the semester. That was the problem with the UConn 2010 kids- they just packed up and left.

-The only person who can transfer and play immediately is Oriakhi. But UConn said they'd let anyone transfer without holding them up with restrictions (other than BE), and they've held up to that. Hi, Bo Ryan.

APR is dumb. Punishing the school for a kid leaving without taking care of their classwork doesn't make sense to me. And the more corrupt the program the less likely it is to ever effect them as they will just pass these through with c and b. I mean UK has lost how many guys early since Cal took over? Yet they all finished all of their classes?

Dont you lose a point for a transfer (regardless of academic standing) uconn cold be in trouble again soon

Yes, but you can appeal for a waiver if the kid that transferred was in good academic standing at the end of the semester they left.

I think they all get a waiver due to the ban, don't they.

Sent from my Vortex using Tapatalk 2
I think only players entering their senior year get this waiver.

With that said, Roscoe was in the dog house early in the year in favor of Daniels and Olander; when he finally got his PT is when UConn seemed to play their best (Boatright was also back). I wonder if that had anything to do with it; although there's no doubt he'd get 32+ mpg this year.

Wouldn't be surprised if they bring in a top-3 class for 2013. Might look a lot like SJU's from last year, at least b4 they had their own academic issues.
Only difference is the question in coaching. It's gonna be hard to recruit for them with the uncertainty of Calhoun.

-Syracuse should be fine in 2014 as long as the kids leaving finish the semester. That was the problem with the UConn 2010 kids- they just packed up and left.

-The only person who can transfer and play immediately is Oriakhi. But UConn said they'd let anyone transfer without holding them up with restrictions (other than BE), and they've held up to that. Hi, Bo Ryan.
Good move by Herbst. If UConn tried to restrict players it would have been a bad look. Her and Manuel certainly came in to a difficult situation.

Think they might be fine anyway, UConn had a really really bad score in what, 2008 or 2009 that just killed them? If it's 930 over 2 years or 900 over 4 years until 2015 or something, it will be hard for us to fall below both of those marks. I think I read it goes to the only 930 over 4 year standard in maybe 2015 or 16?

Think they might be fine anyway, UConn had a really really bad score in what, 2008 or 2009 that just killed them? If it's 930 over 2 years or 900 over 4 years until 2015 or something, it will be hard for us to fall below both of those marks. I think I read it goes to the only 930 over 4 year standard in maybe 2015 or 16?
09-10 was 826, brutal

That Kemba run will salve alot of wounds for the UConn faithful, but this mass exodus is kinda surprising.
A MONSTER class will be necessary for 2013 or 2014 if UConn is to get back on track quickly.
I doubt if JC will leave until he rights the ship, but he won't see much of the revival happen if it takes too long.
Hate them as rivals but kinda sad to see how this is going down.
Btw- APR does suck. As usual the NCAA makes a bad move full of unintended consequences.:bang:

With all these players transferring the result is almost like getting the death penalty. UConn will be so decimated by the defections it may take two consecutive great recruiting classes to restore the talent level to where it was. And because they will have a poor season with little remaining talent, it may be hard to recruit top kids the first year after this. The punishment the NCAA is handing out is having consequences way beyond what was intended and certainly beyond what fits the "crime". Having an entire program destroyed because a few kids left early and didn't finish their class work is just insane. I hope the NCAA revisits this because it could happen to anyone including us.

APR is dumb. Punishing the school for a kid leaving without taking care of their classwork doesn't make sense to me. And the more corrupt the program the less likely it is to ever effect them as they will just pass these through with c and b. I mean UK has lost how many guys early since Cal took over? Yet they all finished all of their classes?

I think we can safely say that the "University" of Kentucky is a joke. They must have a very corrupt network of teachers and tutors who pass these guys even while they are off working out. I don't think it would be too hard to catch them if some investigative sports journalists started following this year's group of draft entrees around to see exactly how much time they spent on campus vs at workouts. Oh wait, those 'investigative sports journalists' are too busy following Tomaselli and Davis around.

In all seriousness, UConn is getting screwed all the while UK is laughing in the faces of the NCAA. It's really hard to fathom. Although, the door is now wide open for Calhoun to play the same game as Calipari. He has a boatload of PT to sell to the next group of one and dones. If anyone can beat Cal at his own game, it's Calhoun. He's a tough cookie on the recruiting trail.

With all these players transferring the result is almost like getting the death penalty. UConn will be so decimated by the defections it may take two consecutive great recruiting classes to restore the talent level to where it was. And because they will have a poor season with little remaining talent, it may be hard to recruit top kids the first year after this. The punishment the NCAA is handing out is having consequences way beyond what was intended and certainly beyond what fits the "crime". Having an entire program destroyed because a few kids left early and didn't finish their class work is just insane. I hope the NCAA revisits this because it could happen to anyone including us.
This^^^
Its not a coincidence that there hasn't been another Death Penalty since SMU. The NCAA saw what it did to that program which is still feeling the aftershocks 30 yrs later. If they're not careful they could end up having a similar effect with this APR nonsense- with UConn being the litmus test.

This^^^
Its not a coincidence that there hasn't been another Death Penalty since SMU. The NCAA saw what it did to that program which is still feeling the aftershocks 30 yrs later. If they're not careful they could end up having a similar effect with this APR nonsense- with UConn being the litmus test.
Better them than us.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom