Rothenstein at Cuse practice | Page 2 | Syracusefan.com

Rothenstein at Cuse practice

JB's comment about Tyler playing plenty of backup PF minutes is interesting. It's either that our backup center situation is scary or that G or BJ are playing very well. Or maybe a combination of both.

Last edited:
I believe you & trust your judgement, but not sure if he isn't another year away . . . I think the bodies ahead of him push that way, unless he turns out to be the only other competent deep shooter

I think that will be the key to BJ's playing time. This team might struggle again with outside shooting (I think that's a near certainty). If BJ can make shots from the perimeter, I believe he will see consistent time this year, if for no other reason than we have to find and play another shooter, IMO.

This might be mitigated by Rac emerging as an inside scoring threat. That would go a long way toward improving offensive flow and efficiency in the half court.

Cooney is a better defender but offensively GMac was a clutch player. Gerry was overrated as a pure shooter but not in the clutch. Trevor fell apart offensively after the Notre Dame game. He has a lot to prove.

I wouldn't say he fell apart - I would say opposing teams realized if u guard him and don't leave him then he is a tremendous liability

I don't think its a reach at all. Once you deconstruct the myth of McNamara (Mythnamara?), you see that Cooney's a better shooter and a better defender. you have to lean on "intangibles" to give the nod to GMac.
I prefer "the it factor" as opposed to "myth"
Not even trying hard I come up with"
6-6 in 3's in 1st half NC game
throwing up 30+ in season opener following year
Started as a freshman and looked like he belonged on day 1

BET in 2006
43 pt vs BYU to dig us out of a huge hole in a NCAA Tournament game
GW shot vs Gtown
One game vs UConn at the Dome I remember him playing pest and stripping the ball multiple times. Same game Craig Forth had a double double and didnt miss a shot.

I hope we get someone else that is just a myth like that...

Last edited:
I anticipate Silent but Deadly to get the start at SF (but swing between all three perimeter positions) and TR to be the sixth man, playing both forward positions. If Chino can't give anything, then CMac will be the default backup to Roc, and JB will use that versatility to go with a 6 man rotation in tight games
If BJ is not playing significant minutes off the bench this team will have big problems. Then it's a 6 man team. Silent G was not good at SF last year...he had games where he got zero rebs. IMO he's the 6th man and will play a lot of minutes at PG ( think KJ will play less than 30 mpg as he will get pulled when he makes pull your hair out mistakes) plus MGb will see minutes backing up Cooney. See BJ as the 7th man backing up both TR and CMc. BJ will have to play if CMc gets run backing up Rac.

LennX6 said:
I prefer "the it factor" as opposed to "myth" Not even trying hard I come up with" 6-6 in 3's in 1st half NC game throwing up 30+ in season opener following year Started as a freshman and looked like he belonged on day 1 6 OT game in BET BET in 2006 43 pt vs BYU to dig us out of a huge hole in a NCAA Tournament game GW shot vs Gtown One game vs UConn at the Dome I remember him playing pest and stripping the ball multiple times. Same game Craig Forth had a double double and didnt miss a shot. I hope we get someone else that is just a myth like that...

You're not saying GMac was in the 6 OT game were you? Cause he was not. He wasn't even officially a coach though possibly a grad assistant.

I believe you & trust your judgement, but not sure if he isn't another year away . . . I think the bodies ahead of him push that way, unless he turns out to be the only other competent deep shooter

His lack of physical development gives me pause. But then I think about Damone contributing as a sophomore, Hakim contributing at a high level as a sophomore -- both being so scrawny -- and it doesn't seem that far fetched to me that BJ will be ready this year despite being a human hyphen.

Hope he's ready--the team could really use an infusion of bench scoring.

During conference play the team (times when Ennis was on the court) was better offensively and worse defensively but they evened each other out. When Cooney was on the court OE was 105 and DE was 97, when he was off the court it was 103 and 95.

When Cooney was on the court the team was getting better shots on offense, more 3s, when he wasn't 49% of shots were 2 point jumpers. 64% of shots at the rim were made, vs just 50% when he wasn't. His presence was likely stretching the defense. The team was pulling down slightly more offensive rebounds and turned the ball over slightly less.

Defensively the team would get a lower percentage of the rebounds and less turnovers when Cooney was on the court, and the other teams' shots came at the rim at the same percentage but made 57% vs 48%. My guess is Gbinije's length at the top of the zone lead to less penetration by opposing guards and his size helped bring down more rebounds.

I prefer "the it factor" as opposed to "myth"
Not even trying hard I come up with"
6-6 in 3's in 1st half NC game
throwing up 30+ in season opener following year
Started as a freshman and looked like he belonged on day 1
6 OT game in BET
BET in 2006
43 pt vs BYU to dig us out of a huge hole in a NCAA Tournament game
GW shot vs Gtown
One game vs UConn at the Dome I remember him playing pest and stripping the ball multiple times. Same game Craig Forth had a double double and didnt miss a shot.

I hope we get someone else that is just a myth like that...

I really like Moqui as a poster, but one thing we will never agree upon is McNamara. He posted about how overrated he was the entire time he played here, and hasn't moved an inch in his position.

McNamara is certainly not a myth, but he also isn't nearly the greatest of all time, like some seem to believe.

I really like Moqui as a poster, but one thing we will never agree upon is McNamara. He posted about how overrated he was the entire time he played here, and hasn't moved an inch in his position.

McNamara is certainly not a myth, but he also isn't nearly the greatest of all time, like some seem to believe.
I guess that's fair; I may have become so wedded to my position that I can no longer see clearly. I don't think so, but its certainly possible

nobody can stop mac. this reminds me of 03.
I remember the chants of "You can't guard him!" when Carmelo was shredding the opposing defense and overwhelming every effort at stopping him. It was especially prominent when we marched through the Big 10 on the way to the title. Really great memories. That team was led by a couple freshmen as well.

Let the good times roll baby! I think we are in for a treat watching this group of kids find their identity as a team during the season.

You're not saying GMac was in the 6 OT game were you? Cause he was not. He wasn't even officially a coach though possibly a grad assistant.
Ugh you are so right. He probably was on a Driver Village ad for 6 OT and it all blended in together.

I remember the chants of "You can't guard him!" when Carmelo was shredding the opposing defense and overwhelming every effort at stopping him. It was especially prominent when we marched through the Big 10 on the way to the title. Really great memories. That team was led by a couple freshmen as well.

Let the good times roll baby! I think we are in for a treat watching this group of kids find their identity as a team during the season.
I remember the Edelin laying waste to Chris Thomas as a "you can't guard him" moment...
I remember Melo just abusing someone to those chants but can't put my finger on just who...

I remember the Edelin laying waste to Chris Thomas as a "you can't guard him" moment...
I remember Melo just abusing someone to those chants but can't put my finger on just who...
Well... here's one for starters.

Oh... and did I mention, I just love that commercial, it's sooooooooo sweeeeet!

not big ten, but big twelve

Basically said he thinks 'Cuse will fall between 5 and 10 in the ACC... Says there will be a lot of 60-60 games with 4 mins to go. I personally think that's how the season will ultimately end up going. They could lose 12 games because they lack the experience to close out close games. Or they could surprise us with their poise, and have the trait of winning closely on their side and only lose 6-8 games.

This team will definitely be competitive, I just hope they have the ability to win close games with three players on the floor who have never really been in the game at that juncture. He also said that Tyler Roberson reminds him of Trevor Ariza.. LOL, Ariza knocked down like 200 3s last year and is actually one of the better three point shooters in the NBA. So, either Roberson really improved his jumper, or that's just Jon being Jon.

Looking forward to the Nov 2 scrimmage!
GO CUSE

Should be noted that Ariza made only 18 3's in his one season at UCLA. And he made a total of 9 3's in his first 4 NBA seasons.

And it took Ariza until his 10th NBA season to crack 35% from 3. He was a pretty poor 3 point shooter until the last 2 seasons.

So was he comparing him to Ariza now, or the Ariza we all knew before very recently?

I don't expect as much out of CMac as I did from Melo, but I still think he will often be the best player on the floor.

Quick comparo to 03:

Cooney > Gmac

SilentG = Duany

I'm going to strongly disagree with these 2.

Cooney is a better defender but offensively GMac was a clutch player. Gerry was overrated as a pure shooter but not in the clutch. Trevor fell apart offensively after the Notre Dame game. He has a lot to prove.

I don't think its a reach at all. Once you deconstruct the myth of McNamara (Mythnamara?), you see that Cooney's a better shooter and a better defender. you have to lean on "intangibles" to give the nod to GMac.

GMac had the biggest pair of intangibles in Cuse history.

I guess that's fair; I may have become so wedded to my position that I can no longer see clearly. I don't think so, but its certainly possible
You don't owe a explanation its a opinion, fair game. Opinions make this place fun, Personally I welcome all the player talk its entertaining, and exciting.

Hard to find the right cuse compaison for cooney. Gmac came in capable of pulling up off the dribble as a freshmen, and wasn't afraid to lean any direction alittle or of pressure on his release. In comparison, Cooney was a 3rd year sophmore last year and still couldn't shoot off the dribble or under pressure.

Things that made rautins and SOutherland special was their ability to pull a jumper with a little pressure on them and height helped with that, thats not Cooneys build. Guys like Melo Wes and occasionally Fair/KJo used a jabstep to find their shot some, Cooney probably won't ever be that type imo.

To reiterate No secret Cooney is a great shooter, but height, pressure defense, pulling up off the dribble, and leaning in a direction during his shot leave alot to be desired. GUys like Gmac, Southerland Wes Melo,Rautins, Waiters had a skill/height advantage that made them good enough to shoot over their man one on one and/or found it alittle easier off of motion ofense because of it.

However, I also feel Cooney can be can be underated on his jumper in the lane and athleticism. He kind of has some triche-like game with those 2 and there is a slight chance he could develop some isolation driving game over time like triche as well. He could become the kind of guy who utilizes the hard work of a multidimentional scoring game as a senior, instead of a skill shooting advantage to find his scoring on the court, fighting hard for every basket. I also am not saying cooney could add more to his shooting game just saying there was lots of room for improvment, and he was far away from developing new shooting advanatages last year imo.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cardiac

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom