Rousey get's KO'd | Syracusefan.com

Rousey get's KO'd

So Happy. Was glad someone knocked her out. Sick of hearing about Ronda this and Ronda that

Was the challenger pretty good? How big of an upset is this?

Was the challenger pretty good? How big of an upset is this?
Holm is one of the best female boxers ever. She's also a really good kickboxer. But she was still a big under dog. One of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

Awesome fight, first time I've seen Rhonda fight live, instead of highlights (thanks to someone paying for an app and hooking their phone to the bar TV). Lost $50, but based on my ignorance prolly would have bet the dude $100. She got rocked. And yes, I've been at the bar since half hour before the football game started. Can still type!

Holm is one of the best female boxers ever. She's also a really good kickboxer. But she was still a big under dog. One of the biggest upsets in MMA history.

she looked like a giant out there. rousey was trying to box with her. big mistake.

that kick to her head could have killed her.

So Happy. Was glad someone knocked her out. Sick of hearing about Ronda this and Ronda that

I tend to agree. Was getting out of control. Her ego needed the ko for sure.

she looked like a giant out there. rousey was trying to box with her. big mistake.

that kick to her head could have killed her.
Rousey was hospitalized after the fight. I don't know if I've ever seen a more perfect kick to the head.

I've always thought that UFC fighters were jacks of all trades and masters of none. Their efforts at throwing punches have always looked kind of amateurish to me. Rousey got into the ring with someone who really knew how to box. I think that's what would happen to most UFC champs vs. accomplished boxers.

I've always thought that UFC fighters were jacks of all trades and masters of none. Their efforts at throwing punches have always looked kind of amateurish to me. Rousey got into the ring with someone who really knew how to box. I think that's what would happen to most UFC champs vs. accomplished boxers.
Any UFC champ with reasonable takedown skills - essentially all of them - would / should be able to tie up a boxer and get him / her down. Rousey foolishly stood and boxed (for the most part) and the boxer took her out. Totally nonplussed as to Rousey's strategy; she played to Holm's strength and got owned.

Yeah, I guess it mostly depends on the matchup. I'm just beginning to really understand mma. I'm a life long boxing fan, and swore off mma until Bones Jones got me interested just a few years ago. That said, if you're the best at the ground game, like Rousey, I don't know why she didn't go for that right away. She didn't seem like herself. But it was good seeing a boxer do damage in mma.

This was the 6th MMA fight for Holly Holm. If you saw any of her previous 5 you would have laughed as yes she won but she looked lost and not very good. Holm had the "perfect night" last night but she isn't what is known as a great MMA fighter. She got the match cause she was the only one left in the division that Ronda hadn't beaten yet essentially.

Yeah you didn't see James Toney when he tried MMA, that "accomplished boxer" got his ass handed to him. Many " accomplished boxers" have tried UFC and all failed miserably. 1 girl had 1 great night, I wouldn't read too much into it

Any UFC champ with reasonable takedown skills - essentially all of them - would / should be able to tie up a boxer and get him / her down. Rousey foolishly stood and boxed (for the most part) and the boxer took her out. Totally nonplussed as to Rousey's strategy; she played to Holm's strength and got owned.

Yep...Any pure boxer would get school in an MMA fight. Holm is a boxer by trade, but has a vast kickboxing background and her coaches (Jackson/Winklejohn) are literally the Lombardi's of MMA. She's in the same gym as Jon Jones. She's seen plenty of wrestling/BJJ/Judo.

Ronda's coach is an absolute goof. He's a boxing guy who tried to make her believe she was some boxing phenom.

This fight wasn't Buster/Tyson, it was Lennox/Rahman. Holm is a good to very good fighter...but she also almost lost to Racquel Pennington, who's your basic action club level fighter. Ronda will regroup, come back with the proper gameplan, and tap her.

I will say I see no way Ronda beats Cyborg if that ever happens. I thought Ronda's skill would overcome, but her reaction to getting bullied back was unsettling.

Rousey's trainer should be fired yesterday. Ronda was not prepared for this fight at all. She was gassed halfway through the first round. Why? Because her game plan was to chase a boxer? That's always a recipe to get KTFO. Eating straight lefts and rights took the wind out of her quick. Her corner gave her no useful direction the whole fight. Especially between rounds when it was apparent their fighter was in serious trouble. If she is to recover from this loss she needs to work on her stamina and find a training team that will minimize the danger of her boxing deficiencies.

You know how in tennis somebody is #1 and basically is unbeatable, and then someone knocks them off and they're still good, but not invincible anymore? I wonder if that's how this will go.

You know how in tennis somebody is #1 and basically is unbeatable, and then someone knocks them off and they're still good, but not invincible anymore? I wonder if that's how this will go.
That very well could be the case, esp. if Cyborg is on the schedule. Going to be interesting to see how White handles this.

That very well could be the case, esp. if Cyborg is on the schedule. Going to be interesting to see how White handles this.
Cyborg can't make weight and can't pass a drug test. It will never happen

I don't think rousey looked as fit as she usually is either. All relative I know but she looked heavy and sluggish, again relatively speaking

Reactions: CIL
IthacaBarrel said:
I don't think rousey looked as fit as she usually is either. All relative I know but she looked heavy and sluggish, again relatively speaking
Noticed that too. She looked soft compared to her previous self

Was the 16th biggest upset in betting terms for MMA

Anyone that is not an ill-informed casual knew of Ronda's striking weaknesses, it was only a matter of time until someone who had good stand up, and dictated the range, and not let Ronda get inside with her clinch to use her judo. Holmes is not some beast of a fighter, she has her own weaknesses that play into Ronda's strengths, but she believed her own hype that her coach and casual public was throwing out there. Hopefully she leaves GFC and goes to a better fight camp.

Last edited:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom