Roy Simmons Jr. reflects on giving back to Lockerbie | Syracusefan.com

Roy Simmons Jr. reflects on giving back to Lockerbie

It wasnt only the first team that made a difference (they really did kickstart Scottish Lacrosse) I think there have been 3 tours all together! id love to see a new generation of British Lax players to get to see these guys play in their own back yard, it was an inspiration!

I remember watching Casey Powell play as a freshman at my own club in Manchester! I met Coach Simmons jr and looked up to him a legend giving out Cuse pins to kids!........20+ years later I was sat in the box with him and had dinner with him...what other sport could you do that in?

.....and im still a fan today!

As someone who took part in one of the three missions that Woody mention, the trip was life changing. I can fully understand the effect watching SU play would have on a young lacrosse player and the lasting memory that would produce. As a player the memories for me were mostly made off the field. It was enjoyable playing the English, Welch and Scottish national teams, the real highlights were the clinics at elementary schools, marching in parades and living with locals for a few days.

And the there was the visit to the Memorial. As someone who has lived almost all of my life in Syracuse, I knew that visiting the site would be moving. Upon the teams arrival, Coach Simmons lead us off the bus and a bagpiper began playing. It was a moment out of a movie. Simmie had brought a traditional native stick and flowers to leave at the site. To see all of the names of the students that were the same age as myself, passengers and locals on the ground was heartbreaking. They lost such promising lives because of the cowardice of others.

image.jpg

Woody that is such an awesome story. Some degree of positivity coming from such an unspeakable tragedy. Thank you for sharing it.