RPI right now is 54 (SOS 68) | Syracusefan.com

RPI right now is 54 (SOS 68)

Eric15

Living Legend
Certainly bad, but not utterly atrocious. We're within striking distance of the bubble. The thing we have working for us this year compared to last year is that we have two quality wins on our non-conference resume whereas last year we had none.

What RPI do people think we need to get to on Selection Sunday to feel reasonably good about our chances? 35?

Next 2 games are a must if we want a realistic chance at making it, i dont think we can afford to lose any home games.

An RPI of 35 is highly unlikely. A 9-9 conference record will lead us to an RPI in the mid 50's. RPI Wizard currently estimates it at 53. But this would probably (but not certainly) get us in -- that would probably give us 4 or 5 top 50 wins which is very good for a team in that RPI range, and would separate us from other bubble teams in the 50's.

A 10-8 ACC Record would have our RPI around 40, and that would be a clear in.

The RPI is not likely to work that well for us this year, for whatever reason. You will see it if we slide. For example, I noted in another thread that Wake Forest would have a better RPI than us with a 6-12 ACC record, than us at 7-11.

I really would not worry too much about the RPI in itself especially since its not working highly in our favour this year for whatever reason. I would focus more on whether we can get to 9-9 in conference and get on the bubble with a number of top 50 wins. (Go Texas A&M and that other douchey school). 10-8 is the clear safe number in my view.

http://www.rpiforecast.com/teams/Syracuse.html

Didn't they get rid of RPI for selection criteria?

Didn't they get rid of RPI for selection criteria?
No. It is one of the tools they use - they look at Top 25 wins, Top 50 wins, etc. Those Top XX teams are determined by RPI ranking.

Certainly bad, but not utterly atrocious. We're within striking distance of the bubble. The thing we have working for us this year compared to last year is that we have two quality wins on our non-conference resume whereas last year we had none.

What RPI do people think we need to get to on Selection Sunday to feel reasonably good about our chances? 35?
If Doug Gottlieb gets a platform to voice his Syracuse opinions, our chances are in the toilet.

I think we'll be fine. We have 2 nice OOC wins. Chalk St. John's up as an aberration, Wiscy will end up being decent, GTowns a tough one.

When it comes down to it -- we are 4-4 without JB and 6-1 with him, and he will be on the sidelines come March Madness. If we finish 10-8 we get the benefit of the doubt I believe since we struggled without JB but won with him.

@Pitt and @Miami are 2 brutual games to start the ACC schedule, they are teams that will be will ranked all year (Miami quite possibly top 12 all year) and we were tied with 5min to go in both.

As long as we get 1 from UNC/Duke/UVA and get another good win (Louisville?) we should be ok. Last year at this time we were in way worst shape (ban or not). A&M and UConn are both in weak conferences and will probably keep winning. 10-8 with a win in the ACC tourney will be enough.

I think we'll be fine. We have 2 nice OOC wins. Chalk St. John's up as an aberration, Wiscy will end up being decent, GTowns a tough one.

When it comes down to it -- we are 4-4 without JB and 6-1 with him, and he will be on the sidelines come March Madness. If we finish 10-8 we get the benefit of the doubt I believe since we struggled without JB but won with him.

@Pitt and @Miami are 2 brutual games to start the ACC schedule, they are teams that will be will ranked all year (Miami quite possibly top 12 all year) and we were tied with 5min to go in both.

As long as we get 1 from UNC/Duke/UVA and get another good win (Louisville?) we should be ok. Last year at this time we were in way worst shape (ban or not). A&M and UConn are both in weak conferences and will probably keep winning. 10-8 with a win in the ACC tourney will be enough.

getting one from unc / duke / uva is a very, very, unlikely task.

getting one from unc / duke / uva is a very, very, unlikely task.
yes it is. But we might not need that.
If we can take care of these games we *should* win: Clemson, BC x2, Ga tech, Va tech, NC st...
Then win these games that are tough but very doable: Pitt, Wake, Notre Dame, Fla St...

we're in business, and picking off a Duke/NC/uva/l'vlle would be the cherry on top

Getting one from Duke or UVA will be a tall task for sure but I never rule us out against a Roy team. Weird things can occasionally happen to his teams.

Getting one from Duke or UVA will be a tall task for sure but I never rule us out against a Roy team. Weird things can occasionally happen to his teams.

Normally I would agree. But this year, our team is so bad on the boards, carlina could play a horrible game and beat us handily

Duke is our best shot out of that group, especially if Jefferson is out.

jdubs30 said:
Duke is our best shot out of that group, especially if Jefferson is out.

Duke at home. Maybe.

On the road. Highly doubt it.

Normally I would agree. But this year, our team is so bad on the boards, carlina could play a horrible game and beat us handily

We tied Miami on the glass. Half court offense is a bigger issue IMO.

We tied Miami on the glass. Half court offense is a bigger issue IMO.

yeah. you are right. we had one game even with a decent rebounding team. Nothing to see here.

I would have liked to had a shot at Virginia at home this year.

yes it is. But we might not need that.
If we can take care of these games we *should* win: Clemson, BC x2, Ga tech, Va tech, NC st...
Then win these games that are tough but very doable: Pitt, Wake, Notre Dame, Fla St...

we're in business, and picking off a Duke/NC/uva/l'vlle would be the cherry on top
VT just beat Virginia,have you watched any other ACC teams play? Our talent is not even close to being in the half of the ACC

VT just beat Virginia,have you watched any other ACC teams play? Our talent is not even close to being in the half of the ACC
So VT upset Virginia and that says something about SU's "talent" as it relates to the rest of the ACC? Um, ok

Yeah it does how many of SU's starters could start for any other team in the top half of the ACC maybe Silent G that's about it

Yeah it does how many of SU's starters could start for any other team in the top half of the ACC maybe Silent G that's about it
OK, so I'll take a stab at trying to decipher your syrcause.com-esque gibberish... Va Tech is in the top half of the ACC now?

That's the problem,they aren't and still beat Virginia, where as I don't think we have the play makers to do the same

Still didn't answer the ? Who for us could start for Unc or Duke or Va or gt etc... I see these teams play four or five times a week down here on tv and they have so many more better athletes than us as Miami did last game

That's the problem,they aren't and still beat Virginia, where as I don't think we have the play makers to do the same
Exactly right. Honestly, do any on this forum think we could win more than 1 or 2 games out of 10 against UVA?

People drink the koolaid and for some reason won't see what is going on. Poor recruiting and Boeheim won't bring the program out of the 1990's,but don't question any of lack of progress or you will get banned

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom