Rumor mill | Page 23 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

Any Possibility of a Upper Ring concourse to service the 3rd level from the top and relieve congestion concession needs?
That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that we need. I also hope they consider possible future expansion to seating capacity when engineering this thing (assuming we're losing seats). Am I the only one that hates the idea of reducing capacity? It's one thing if we were going from 100k down to 80k, or even 80 to 60... or 60 to 53. But we're already in the 40s -- that's on par with Alumni Stadium for cripes' sake. When the team was exciting there was significant demand. Are we assuming we'll never be a top 25 team again? If we could avg 48-49 in our peak years with an aging outdated dome, I'm sure we can make a case that we can reach that again or eclipse it with shiny new facilities and better squads.

Just a note: I did hear that a local company that deals with very large construction was working with the engineers on how to do this. Not sure if this is out to bid or not but they might be further down the process then what we know.

I think it will always be the Carrier Dome, even if the roof is made of cheese. Too much of a brand, at this point.
thats a tough sell for sure, but as long as the schools nets on it, good.

see you next year at Giants Stadium for nd.

That's just unsound construction. Can't imagine cheese would hold up very well through a CNY winter.
Why not? As long as it's below freezing it won't spoil.

Then again, with El Nino we might have to wear masks to hide the stench of mold dripping from the roof.

New York State as a whole has been losing for over 30 years. Look at all the ex-pats on this site alone.
The beauty of the fall in upstate New York is overshadowed by the poor economy, onerous tax structure and liberal politics. I just moved my business out of California after 18 years for the same reasons. Palm trees and bikinis can't make up for $500/sq ft housing and a state that would rather run out of water than infringe on the habitat of a tiny fish.

def going to have pitch
so the soccer team is going to play on the roof??

who will be able to watch, the top floors of sadler and lawrinson??

they building an observation deck up on Mt Olympus??

thats as dumb an idea as a retractable roof...

That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that we need...If we could avg 48-49 in our peak years with an aging outdated dome, I'm sure we can make a case that we can reach that again or eclipse it with shiny new facilities and better squads.

Aside from the Brown-Davis-Little-Csonka years, I always thought of our "peak years" as being 1987 -- 1998. I don't think anyone was calling the Dome "aging and outdated" back then.

MaxwellCuse said:
Aside from the Brown-Davis-Little-Csonka years, I always thought of our "peak years" as being 1987 -- 1998. I don't think anyone was calling the Dome "aging and outdated" back then.
Yeah I don't agree with this either.

Michigan, ND, Alabama, usc, ucla, etc all have stadiums approaching 100 years old. With benches, and some troughs. How is our dome "aging"? It's only half the age of the 71 year old stadium we replaced with it.

The answer is renovate. That's what the other iconic stadiums do.

Latest word on the street is that it will be renamed the Make Syracuse Football Great Again Trump Dome.

Bayside44 said:
Hugh Carey ain't walking through that door.

Seems like Cuomo is walking around with some money he's trying to spend.

GoSU96 said:
That also came with strings. That was really hard to do and a much different environment. Maybe they can get some, but I thought public funds for any major dome renovation was off the table.

Doesn't large sums of money always come with strings attached? Just tossing out that maybe some is possible.

That's the kind of out-of-the-box thinking that we need. I also hope they consider possible future expansion to seating capacity when engineering this thing (assuming we're losing seats). Am I the only one that hates the idea of reducing capacity? It's one thing if we were going from 100k down to 80k, or even 80 to 60... or 60 to 53. But we're already in the 40s -- that's on par with Alumni Stadium for cripes' sake. When the team was exciting there was significant demand. Are we assuming we'll never be a top 25 team again? If we could avg 48-49 in our peak years with an aging outdated dome, I'm sure we can make a case that we can reach that again or eclipse it with shiny new facilities and better squads.

There was never enough demand to sell the place out weeks or months in advance for any game. The Dome was always built a little too big. Adding real seats and having capacity at 44K is perfect, IMHO. There's a reason why every ballpark built in the past 25 years has been at a lower capacity than the park it replaced -- forcing demand means you can increase ticket prices and make more revenue on a net basis.

This discussion about the word "dome" is one of the strangest I've ever seen on this board, and that's saying something. I thought someone was originally trying to find a clever way to weasel out of Carrier's gift and find a way to implement a modern naming rights deal. But then people took it literally.

I mean, how could you possibly call a stadium with a non-air supported roof a "dome"?...

superdome1.jpg

Seems like Cuomo is walking around with some money he's trying to spend.

Also seems like Cuomo, like every other politician out there, can smell a photo op ten miles away blindfolded.

Yes, I think some State funds will be committed to a stadium renovation. Who knows how much but it will be adequate to get the Governor a front row seat and front page coverage on the day the project is announced.

Yeah, I was wondering if, for the sake of consistency, they may build a roof similar to the one on the IPF (on a much larger scale obviously).
Wouldn't the flat roof have a pitch so the weight of the snow is reduced? Can't imagine it would have zero pitch.
The question is where the snow goes... if it slides off the ends does it fall 4o ft and crush scurrying freshmen that haven't learned where not to walk? Do we need a heat traced melt system? Could the current heating system be used in the same manner it is now?

The question is where the snow goes... if it slides off the ends does it fall 4o ft and crush scurrying freshmen that haven't learned where not to walk? Do we need a heat traced melt system?
Well, is that really a different problem than what we've had to deal with before? I mean, it's not like there was never any snow collecting atop the Dome in the past. It always had to go somewhere. I'd imagine it'll be much the same.

Well, is that really a different problem than what we've had to deal with before? I mean, it's not like there was never any snow collecting atop the Dome in the past. It always had to go somewhere. I'd imagine it'll be much the same.
Yeah right now we heat the roof from below, with the expansion we are talking about is the heating capacity enough, possibly more importantly with the new extensive energy code that was adopted by NYS can we install something where this method is still effective.

Hugh Carey ain't walking through that door.

there is always state money unfortunately, why is this all of a sudden the time where they couldn't possibly waste money?

i'm always skeptical of a now or never hard sell

Yeah right now we heat the roof from below, with the expansion we are talking about is the heating capacity enough, possibly more importantly with the new extensive energy code that was adopted by NYS can we install something where this method is still effective.
We'll transport the drunk frat brothers to the roof to pee the snow away.