Rumor mill | Page 26 | Syracusefan.com

Rumor mill

The tools and techniques to reconfigure on the fly is much different take it down to the studs and really remodel
Would a blue curtain upgrade be an option? Maybe they can upgrade it to a 2-way mirror so those sitting past the curtain can see through it.

I am sure that the engineers that have been tasked with the design of this project haven't thought of this.
The most surprising thing I've learned since joining this group is the amount of members who are construction experts, or architects.
My guess is that there are people involved who know what they're doing. We're not dealing with some jamoke who is building his own shed in the backyard.

I guess guys, just bringing up an important design consideration for discussion, I'm sure they will eventually hire someone to review this, but likely haven't yet. It is good to understand the design process; at this phase of design, master planning Architects often doesn't consider some of these things out front because it gets in the way of their design. They do this also because the would get nothing done otherwise, and there are ways to solve most design problems, though they aren't always cheap. In addition if they are not from the area they don't understand the impact snow has on design in the Syracuse area.

If you don't ask questions, or don't ask the right questions up front, you end up getting fed a junk design, or getting told you can have this amazing stadium that you can't have because the cost of solving all the design problems doubles the price tag.

Master planning design Architects generally solve these design problems by having good production architects and hiring consultants with experience in the field, like for example licensed Professional Engineers that have multiple previously completed high rise and major complex projects. SU has great Engineering and Architecture schools, and ESF has a solid reputation for Construction Management, and we would like to contribute our knowledge to enrich the conversation. We may not always have as many inside sources for football threads but we do know our business, and when talking long span roof replacement in Syracuse, NY, Snow management is a very important and expensive question.

What about our Horseradish friend Neil Gold.

Maybe cto can get in the ear of Jeff Immelt for the GE dome as a nice gesture to the NE before moving to Atlanta or Charlotte.

image-4167998017.jpg

Using that EFTE, design it after this and sell naming rights to Rival, or Crock Pot.

Presently the basketball court is set up on the non-Archibald side of the Dome I believe. If renovations are going to be done to the Archibald side and they are going to connect the buildings would it be possible to build executive/luxury suits at the Archibald end and move the court to that side of the stadium? Is this an option?

With Basketball being the revenue generator for the Athletic department that it is it would seem to me this would be a good time to kill a few birds with one stone and capitalize on additional revenue options.

Presently the basketball court is set up on the non-Archibald side of the Dome I believe. If renovations are going to be done to the Archibald side and they are going to connect the buildings would it be possible to build executive/luxury suits at the Archibald end and move the court to that side of the stadium? Is this an option?

With Basketball being the revenue generator for the Athletic department that it is it would seem to me this would be a good time to kill a few birds with one stone and capitalize on additional revenue options.
There is the problem of where the movable section of bleachers is located.

View attachment 50677

Using that EFTE, design it after this and sell naming rights to Rival, or Crock Pot.
Honestly, that would be pretty fun. Obviously, not a straight up crock pot looking stadium, but one with a roof resembling a lid and proper sponsorship. Imagine all the puns and fun with the big Crock Pot on the hill we could all have.

Especially if they still didn't install any AC...
As long as they set it to Warm or Low, and not High early in the football season, it ought to be OK.

There is the problem of where the movable section of bleachers is located.
Good thought. I guess it will depend on how much "renovation" is actually done to that side of the Dome. Personally I would like to see them add a hand full of luxury boxes and increase the seating capacity, and move the court to the other end of the Dome. That way we could get more, and better, seating for basketball, reduced congestion during games as well as increase the concession sales during basketball season resulting in increased revenue. Just my 2 cents, but im no architect.

I'm enjoying the twitter today where both Matt Park and Axe have tweeted that renovations to the Dome and an announcement are forthcoming.

Matt Park ‏@MattPark1 24m24 minutes ago
It's a lot of things. You've hit two legit ones. Facility upgrades coming. 3/last 5 seasons have been >.500 w/bowl.

Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 2h2 hours ago
Also wondering about this. SU is close to announcing major Carrier Dome renovations. Will that provide an attendance boost? 1/2

Last edited:
Brent Axe ‏@BrentAxeMedia 2h2 hours ago
Also wondering about this. SU is close to announcing major Carrier Dome renovations. Will that provide an attendance boost? 1/2

It will create an attendance boost for the first game they play (probably vs a Rhode Island type team in a given year)...but if this is still a program that is winning 4-6 games people won't go just to look at the "new" Dome.

Especially in this day of age where you can probably get a virtual tour of the new Dome online or from your phone and just see what was done that way. Winning increases attendance, nothing else. The average person/casual fan is paying money to see new concession stands, bigger concourse levels, and new benches/seats if the team isn't any good.

It will create an attendance boost for the first game they play (probably vs a Rhode Island type team in a given year)...but if this is still a program that is winning 4-6 games people won't go just to look at the "new" Dome.

Especially in this day of age where you can probably get a virtual tour of the new Dome online or from your phone and just see what was done that way. Winning increases attendance, nothing else. The average person/casual fan is paying money to see new concession stands, bigger concourse levels, and new benches/seats if the team isn't any good.
it enhances the game experience, which is a big part of the reason people go.

Bigger concourses = easier to get around
New concession stands = faster food, better options, quicker lines. The Dome is severely limited because of this. Hence why you can't get pizza on the upper level.
New seats = does it need to be said? Also would limit tickets, a stadium of 44k at least helps raise demand, especially if the team is winning.

Sure, winning would be big but a lot of those things solve a ton of the Dome's issues.

it enhances the game experience, which is a big part of the reason people go.

Bigger concourses = easier to get around
New concession stands = faster food, better options, quicker lines. The Dome is severely limited because of this. Hence why you can't get pizza on the upper level.
New seats = does it need to be said? Also would limit tickets, a stadium of 44k at least helps raise demand, especially if the team is winning.

Sure, winning would be big but a lot of those things solve a ton of the Dome's issues.
Enhances game experience for the die-hard fans who always go. Doesn't bring new fans in the building which is the issue. Nobody is going to a game because of a bigger concourse level and new concession stands. The product is why people go, not the building.

Enhances game experience for the die-hard fans who always go. Doesn't bring new fans in the building which is the issue. Nobody is going to a game because of a bigger concourse level and new concession stands. The product is why people go, not the building.

If the food sucks and the choices suck it doesn't drive people traffic. Stadiums all over the place have changed to adjust to fans that go to hang out at the stadium.

Every time someone mentions a potential upgrade they may be doing at the Dome, everyone jumps all over it like its the wrong thing to do, and how they'd do it better. Does anyone think that maybe, just maybe there are professionals taking care of this, and it may end up great? I want upgrades too, but until you see the plans in their final draft, left the powers that be figure it out.

Now, regarding seats...

Can anyone really imagine an individual seat based in the slope and depth of each row? Especially in the 300 level? Every time I look at it I can't imagine how it would work. It sounds great, but can it physically happen?

I was in the Dome the other day and it looked like additional ribbon boards were being installed between the 100 and 200 levels. Also 4 screens have been added in each corner section of the endzones. Would think that we would not be investing more into the Dome if we were moving but who knows.

Well based on a fairly light attendance at the WF-FSU game with drizzle and mid sixty temps I sure hope they update the dome. I just do not see many fans sitting outside at Syracuse in drizzle and temps in the 30-50 range to watch a 5 to 8 game winning team. Go undefeated then I'll change my tune. I have 4 season tickets and attend almost all games even with an 8 hr. Round trip.
Different opinions always welcome but please include how many games you have attended in the last three years!

Well based on a fairly light attendance at the WF-FSU game with drizzle and mid sixty temps I sure hope they update the dome. I just do not see many fans sitting outside at Syracuse in drizzle and temps in the 30-50 range to watch a 5 to 8 game winning team. Go undefeated then I'll change my tune. I have 4 season tickets and attend almost all games even with an 8 hr. Round trip.
Different opinions always welcome but please include how many games you have attended in the last three years!

Nobody has sat outside to watch an SU game since 1978.

To answer your other question. I haven't missed a home game since 1976.