Rutgers Steve Pikiell | Page 3 | Syracusefan.com

Rutgers Steve Pikiell

I don’t think it is at this point.

Oh, just get lost with that.
We have the biggest arena in college basketball.
Our fans fill opposing arenas up and down the east coast.
Our games, historically speaking, have been some of the legendary games in college hoops history, and we generate very good ratings when we are doing reasonably well.

The thing about 19 year olds is they’re about 5 years away from getting an opinion correct.
I’m not sure how that’s pertinent to this discussion. I’m also quite certain you know exactly zero 19 year olds at this point.

I’m not sure how that’s pertinent to this discussion. I’m also quite certain you know exactly zero 19 year olds at this point.

The diminished value of a 19 year old’s opinion probably hasn’t changed much over time, though, right?

Anyway, a mildly interested college bball fan would know most teams in the big conferences and a handful of the big names in the smaller conferences. Syracuse wouldn’t make that list of 60-ish teams? They’d be unfamiliar with the ACC teams? Idk, I’m not buying the idea that Syracuse is so obscure teenagers who watch sports wouldn’t know us. Casuals who only watch the tournament? Sure, they might not know of us.

The diminished value of a 19 year old’s opinion probably hasn’t changed much over time, though, right?

Anyway, a mildly interested college bball fan would know most teams in the big conferences and a handful of the big names in the smaller conferences. Syracuse wouldn’t make that list of 60-ish teams? They’d be unfamiliar with the ACC teams? Idk, I’m not buying the idea that Syracuse is so obscure teenagers who watch sports wouldn’t know us. Casuals who only watch the tournament? Sure, they might not know of us.
You’re assuming teenagers still care about college basketball like they did when you were a teenager.

The kids I know don’t even watch actual basketball games. They see highlights on social media, play 2K, and the ones who really care look up longer highlights on YouTube. Pretty much all NBA, too.

You’re assuming teenagers still care about college basketball like they did when you were a teenager.

The kids I know don’t even watch actual basketball games. They see highlights on social media, play 2K, and the ones who really care look up longer highlights on YouTube. Pretty much all NBA, too.

I’m specifically talking about college basketball fans. If we’re just talking about random teenagers, then yeah they won’t know us. There’s a good chance they won’t know Duke.

Oh, just get lost with that.
We have the biggest arena in college basketball.
Our fans fill opposing arenas up and down the east coast.
Our games, historically speaking, have been some of the legendary games in college hoops history, and we generate very good ratings when we are doing reasonably well.
None of that makes this a top 15 job.

Very underrated coach. He’s done a great job at Rutgers. He’s recruiting quite well and his teams play very hard. They really have an offensive plan and they play good defense. He’s not afraid to mix things up on defense either. He would be someone SU should be interested in when JB retires.
I'm not so sure that we would pay the money too much but yes I mean that would be an obvious great choice because he pulled rockers out of the sword and now hes my he might get like 25 stars in one class hes never really had very good talent at least not you know coming out of high school right All Americans and stuff he starts getting mad man who knows what he can do . He pretty much sounds like the complete opposite in a good way of our coach who I can't stand

I’m specifically talking about college basketball fans. If we’re just talking about random teenagers, then yeah they won’t know us. There’s a good chance they won’t know Duke.
Kids these days know specific players from their high school/prep years. My kid watches more Bronny than college hoops games.

People KNOW us. We're an established brand name. Have been for 60-70 years.

That's why WE got into the ACC and UConn did not. Brand awareness.

Rutgers guy here - I was at the Rutgers/Michigan State game on Saturday. Rutgers fans completely took over the Garden, and the atmosphere approached the noise level of the RAC. What do you think about an annual Rutgers/Syracuse game at MSG? I think that it would be a very hyped event, kind of like the old St. Johns vs. Syracuse Big East games when both teams were good.

Also, Pikiell isn't going anywhere. Our new basketball practice facility and the team's success is paying dividends on the recruiting trail, so the team should be set for a while. The only issue would be if his assistants start leaving, which could happen if the team has a good run in the NCAA tournament (assuming we are selected).

Why would he leave for Syracuse. I'm sure Rutgers can pay the same. Plus Rutgers is a better program now

Rutgers is not a better program than Syracuse by any stretch of the imagination. Pikeli is considered a miracle worker just because he can make Rutgers in its best seasons as good as Syracuse is in its worst seasons.

People KNOW us. We're an established brand name. Have been for 60-70 years.

That's why WE got into the ACC and UConn did not. Brand awareness.

We are a more long-term basketball brand than UConn. But the main reason why we were selected for the ACC over UConn is because UConn was FCS in football until about a decade before the second ACC expansion.

Due to its crappy football and basketball teams, Rutgers was going to get left behind in the AAC until the Big 10 commish even up falling for some delusion that he could Rutgers to get NYC to be considered in-market for the Big Ten Network. (I honestly would be shocked if NYC is seriously considered in market for the BTN, no matter what Rutgers fans claim.)

Rutgers guy here - I was at the Rutgers/Michigan State game on Saturday. Rutgers fans completely took over the Garden, and the atmosphere approached the noise level of the RAC. What do you think about an annual Rutgers/Syracuse game at MSG? I think that it would be a very hyped event, kind of like the old St. Johns vs. Syracuse Big East games when both teams were good.

Also, Pikiell isn't going anywhere. Our new basketball practice facility and the team's success is paying dividends on the recruiting trail, so the team should be set for a while. The only issue would be if his assistants start leaving, which could happen if the team has a good run in the NCAA tournament (assuming we are selected).
He’s not going anywhere until someone pays him more than Rutgers

He’s not going anywhere until someone pays him more than Rutgers

Rutgers is seemingly the lowest paying job in both major sports in the power conferences, despite the Big Ten money they make.

While Syracuse basketball is not their usual dominant program and Rutgers is ranked again, I think that both teams would put on an entertaining, competitive basketball game at MSG where you "throw out the records." The annual game could be called "The Battle for New York City" with the winner getting their team color on the Empire State Building. Both fanbases travel very well, so the only disadvantage would be the likely astronomical ticket prices.

While there was pregame talk of a strong Michigan State turnout for the game on Saturday, as you can see below, Rutgers fans took over MSG. I would like to see an annual Rutgers/Syracuse matchup at the Garden. The atmosphere would be electric. What do you think?

MSG.jpg

While Syracuse basketball is not their usual dominant program and Rutgers is ranked again, I think that both teams would put on an entertaining, competitive basketball game at MSG where you "throw out the records." The annual game could be called "The Battle for New York City" with the winner getting their team color on the Empire State Building. Both fanbases travel very well, so the only disadvantage would be the likely astronomical ticket prices.

While there was pregame talk of a strong Michigan State turnout for the game on Saturday, as you can see below, Rutgers fans took over MSG. I would like to see an annual Rutgers/Syracuse matchup at the Garden. The atmosphere would be electric. What do you think?

View attachment 224846

Historically, Rutgers can only win games at the RAC, so I support this just for the extra win each season.

If we’re going to play an annual game at MSG, it should be against UConn. Second choice, St. John’s. No offense, I have no beef with RU b-ball.

But an annual game with them doesn’t excite me at this point.

If we’re going to play an annual game at MSG, it should be against UConn. Second choice, St. John’s. No offense, I have no beef with RU b-ball.

But an annual game with them doesn’t excite me at this point.
Makes sense that you would rather play traditional Big East rivals. I get it. Rutgers never really had a connection with UConn or St. Johns, but I felt like there was some juice when they played Syracuse.

Makes sense that you would rather play traditional Big East rivals. I get it. Rutgers never really had a connection with UConn or St. Johns, but I felt like there was some juice when they played Syracuse.
There were definitely some good games at the RAC, and a couple at the Dome.

I really don’t remember any Cuse-Rutgers games at MSG though. Plenty of great Cuse-UConn and Cuse-St. John’s games with electric crowds at MSG though.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom