Rutty fans handling the Cuse resurgence well | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Rutty fans handling the Cuse resurgence well

I remember exactly where I was when I heard the WSYR call on Rob Moore’s TD in 1987. My friends and I were jumping around the parking lot as our HS homecoming game was going on in the background. That was one glorious day for us young SU football fans and the sign that we were going to have a special season.

Fast forward 8 years when I had to go to State College a couple of times on business. I remember seeing the news coverage in Syracuse when some rabid SU fans painted the Nittany Lion orange and all the crap the University took for it. When I laid eyes on that iconic lion for the first time I took a real close look. Sure enough, there was still orange paint in all of crevices!! I walked away with a huge grin on my face and couldn’t help but chuckle. After all that time, the Orange was still leaving a mark on Happy Valley.

WAR OTTO!!! (If that’s still a thing on here. It has been a long time for me.)
Nittany Lion shrine defaced by Syracuse students

A Rutgers fan goes to the doctor. The doctor says, "You look quite troubled. How can I help you today?"

Rutgers fan starts to tear up. "I don't know what's wrong with me, Doc. The universe no longer makes sense. Somehow, despite Rutger's prestigious history, we are suddenly losing recruits to Syracuse. SYRACUSE!!!"

The doctor nods sympathetically, stroking his chin in contemplation. "I see. How did these feelings that Syracuse was actually a threat to Rutgers begin?"

"So, they got a few new coaches, some from the New Jersey area, and all of a sudden they're like the shiny new toy. They think they're suddenly going to be relevant. It's still Syracuse. It's cold and snowy for six months out of the year. We're still Rutgers. Other than our close rivalry with Penn State, we are the beasts of the east and have been for at least 100 years."

"Mmm hmmm...," the doctor begins to understand the issue, but prods a little further. "IS there evidence of a shift in power? Didn't someone there talk about "belief without evidence" or some sort of malarkey like that?"

Shaking their head, the Rutgers fan lets out a sardonic laugh, "Yeah, that was their last coach. He had some nice wins and one dream season, but any momentum he might've developed disappeared like Country Buffet's profits when Chris Christie shows up for dinner. As far as evidence, well, they haven't won a game with the new staff. It looks like they got a few malcontents to transfer in from other schools, and lured some starry eyed high school kids with money, fancy cars and some type of Asian-food-thing...and acting like they care about the kids and not just winning. I mean, c'mon, we have Schiano, Springsteen, Atlantic City, Tomato Pies and Rippers, and Snooki, JWoww, The Situation...and of course that great tradition that is Rutgers football. That sells itself! We only take winners and elite athletes. Anyone else: Thanks, but no thanks. You're just not a take for us."

Leaning back, taking a deep breath and slowly letting it out, the doctor suggests, "Look, I think you're not seeing things clearly and for what they are. You're flooded with emotions and conflicted. I would encourage you to stay off the internet, especially anything regarding football, recruiting, the transfer portal, etc. Find a new activity to occupy your time and thoughts, like those adult coloring books! Try to stay in the lines, that's the key. If you do this, I think in the Fall you'll begin to see the light, and you'll realize I was right."

"Okay, Doc. I guess I just get worked up too easily. My friends feel the same, but maybe we shouldn't be reinforcing our beliefs with each other. Y'know? I am going to take your advice and go get some coloring books, and that big Crayola Crayon Box with the built in sharpener. I'll get some snacks, too, and some Hawaiian Punch or maybe Capris Sun. I still love those things, man. Thank you for your time, Doc. I feel better already. Have a good day."

The doctor hands him his check-out paper, and says "Take this to the front desk and make a follow up appointment for next fall, maybe October or November. I think we should touch base then and see how you're coping with everything at that time."

As the patient leaves the room, he turns to the chart and with a slow shake of his head realizes there may be a developing epidemic in northern New Jersey. "I may need to call the Department of Health about this before it gets out of hand," he mutters to himself as he writes down the patients diagnosis.

issue-smooth-brain.gif

He thinks to himself, "This isn't the first, and certainly won't be the last. It's going to be a long year. And likely, a lot longer than that. Speaking of which, I better renew my season tickets...there's no place like fall in Central New York, and it's always good to go home!"
Hmmmm...So what you're saying is....you used to watch alot of Jersey Shore. Got it.

Hmmmm...So what you're saying is...you used to watch alot of Jersey Shore. Got it.
No, not at all (e.g., NEVER). The only name I could remember was Snooki, and I'm not too proud that I even knew that! I had to look it up, as I did a couple other items as well. I've only been to Jersey for vacations with my wife's family early in our marriage at Long Beach Island, and for events with my girls (Gymnastics tournaments, Soccer tournaments, Robotics tournaments, and admissions interview at Princeton). My limited exposure to Jersey gave me a "hit or miss" vibe; it was either beautiful, or, uhh, not so much.

The crowd going absolutely crazy was the only reason Florida even knew Dar Dar was flying towards the end zone.
I was lucky to witness that one.

I seem to recall Steve Spurrier telling the press later that the last thing he said to his cover team before they went out was “watch for the reverse.”

Who knows, could have been CYA.

It was like a jet engine winding up for take off. And then beating the Gators on every significant play all game long, Steve Spurriers Gators, That was high times. Maybe they come back around now.
One significant play that some may forget was our safety Tim Sandquist absolutely obliterating a Gator WR on an inside route.

The hit would be illegal today, but was just good defense then.

Importantly, it established that we weren’t just out-scheming Florida, we were physically beating them.

Syracuse had a good budding rivalry with VT in the 90s/early 2000s. Pitt and Syracuse have a long standing (but admittedly weird) rivalry already. Those are less “establishing” than “rejuvenating”.

Rutgers was never a rival. They’re the equivalent of your little brother you dominate in backyard ball who got a lucky win one time and still harps on it endlessly. Mocking those delusional idiots will never go out of style, so hopefully that doesn’t get left in the past.

As an old guy who fondly remembers stomping Penn State in ‘87 to the shock and horror of their fans, part of me hopes that when the musical chairs stop - Syracuse is in the Big Ten. The only two rivalries I ever really cared about were Georgetown in basketball and Penn State in football. Being able to re-establish that rivalry would be a dream come true to me - we were on the verge of doing just that when Penn State went to the Big Ten.

I can’t see ever caring about Louisville or NC State, and at best pretended to care about BC only occasionally.

Yeah, I hear ya, but Penn State beat us something like 10 or 15 years in a row before the 1987 season. They don't see us as a rival. We are a Rutgers or a Temple to them.

That’s awesome! My friend was at the WVU game later that season. He tried to describe to me how loud it was in there when Michael Owens scored the 2-pt conversion. He said he couldn’t hear himself scream and felt like the entire upper deck of the Dome was going to collapse. I wish I had been there for those moments. The closest I have is being there for Pearl’s shot against BC and McNabb’s throwback to Brominski.

Those are still some pretty incredible moments, Pete. We can't all be there for every great moment. You got your share, dude.

No, not at all (e.g., NEVER). The only name I could remember was Snooki, and I'm not too proud that I even knew that! I had to look it up, as I did a couple other items as well. I've only been to Jersey for vacations with my wife's family early in our marriage at Long Beach Island, and for events with my girls (Gymnastics tournaments, Soccer tournaments, Robotics tournaments, and admissions interview at Princeton). My limited exposure to Jersey gave me a "hit or miss" vibe; it was either beautiful, or, uhh, not so much.

Sorry, not buying it. LOL

Sorry, not buying it. LOL
What exactly aren’t you “buying?” I’d thought maybe you were being sarcastic as you added the “LOL,” but that wouldn’t explain the “Dislike.” Please explain this to me.

I’ve posted multiple times over the years that we should play Rutty every year on 9/11. Alternating home & away. Give free tickets to a certain number of firefighters, police, & other local first responders. Bring them on the field pregame & honor/recognize them throughout. It’ll be an early season feel good national story for Northeast college football each year. It just makes way too much sense to ever happen.

I’ve posted multiple times over the years that we should play Rutty every year on 9/11. Alternating home & away. Give free tickets to a certain number of firefighters, police, & other local first responders. Bring them on the field pregame & honor/recognize them throughout. It’ll be an early season feel good national story for Northeast college football each year. It just makes way too much sense to ever happen.
I mean it would work better if 9/11 wasn’t a rotating date that was sometimes logistically impossible to maintain a college football schedule around. those years with Wednesday games would be rough all around

I mean it would work better if 9/11 wasn’t a rotating date that was sometimes logistically impossible to maintain a college football schedule around. those years with Wednesday games would be rough all around
I’ve considered this. It’s a good, valid point. If it falls on Thurs/Fri/Sat play on the day. If not, play the closest one of those days to 9/11.

No.

And here’s why:

Gives FAR too much exposure and relevance to SUNJ.

And seems like stolen valor on the part of Rutty, frankly.

FFF them.

No.

And here’s why:

Gives FAR too much exposure and relevance to SUNJ.

And seems like stolen valor on the part of Rutty, frankly.

FFF them.
I don’t fully disagree. I’m not going to look up/post numbers here & will refrain from derailing this thread but, as you know, there were quite a few NJ residents who died that day & also quite a few NJ first responders involved.

The exposure & relevance point I can understand but as much as the programs are clearly on 2 separate trajectories, it’s still ACC v. B1G & is therefore still relevant. I’d be willing to bet that the NJ & even NY native ‘Cuse players would be pumped to play Rutty annually. It’s NY-NJ & will always matter. Even without any 9/11 tie-in, these 2 programs should play annually, IMO. I recall how pumped this board got on game week when they came in 2021. We were talking about beating them with our NJ QB (DeVito) & there were articles on how much the game meant to NY/NJ recruits. They fell ass backwards into the B1G & that pisses most of us off. If you don’t want to call it a “rivalry”, fine, but there was some serious anticipation & “juice” on this board for that game in ‘21.

What exactly aren’t you “buying?” I’d thought maybe you were being sarcastic as you added the “LOL,” but that wouldn’t explain the “Dislike.” Please explain this to me.

Sorry, dude, that you're so defensive. Hershey PA is not that far from the Jersey Shore. From your emotional denial, I would bet cash money that you have Snooki Pron and love J Wow.

Sorry, dude, that you're so defensive. Hershey PA is not that far from the Jersey Shore. From your emotional denial, I would bet cash money that you have Snooki Pron and love J Wow.
I tend to get defensive/angry if I am essentially being called a liar; and I CERTAINLY don’t appreciate having it stated a second time, in a public forum where I believe I have earned respect from those with whom I’ve interacted. With respect to those who enjoyed the show, Jersey Shore in my opinion, is a repulsive example of a contributory cause to the erosion of both cultural and individual identity. I am PROUD of the fact that my mind is not filled with this tripe and that I actually had to find it online. While I too, have enjoyed my guilty pleasures, your impugning of my character and especially my integrity is beyond the pale.

You lost your bet.

If you want to pay me that “cash money,” feel free to donate it to Orange United. At least on that, I think we can agree that it is a worthy, common ground act of philanthropy.

Yeah, I hear ya, but Penn State beat us something like 10 or 15 years in a row before the 1987 season. They don't see us as a rival. We are a Rutgers or a Temple to them.

Somewhat shockingly, I haven’t found that to be the case. Penn State site Basic Blues Nation listed Syracuse as their fifth biggest rival (Pitt was #1). I think it’s a weird situation where we haven’t played much for three decades, so how Syracuse is viewed is driven totally by nostalgia. And a lot of big Penn State moments they celebrate tie wins over highly ranked Syracuse teams.

I think Pitt being the #1 rival supports that as well - what Penn State fans remember are the battles of two top 10 teams in the late 70s/early 80s.

I tend to get defensive/angry if I am essentially being called a liar; and I CERTAINLY don’t appreciate having it stated a second time, in a public forum where I believe I have earned respect from those with whom I’ve interacted. With respect to those who enjoyed the show, Jersey Shore in my opinion, is a repulsive example of a contributory cause to the erosion of both cultural and individual identity. I am PROUD of the fact that my mind is not filled with this tripe and that I actually had to find it online. While I too, have enjoyed my guilty pleasures, your impugning of my character and especially my integrity is beyond the pale.

You lost your bet.

If you want to pay me that “cash money,” feel free to donate it to Orange United. At least on that, I think we can agree that it is a worthy, common ground act of philanthropy.
Lol

Reactions: CIL

You lost your bet.

Oh, loosen up, Francis.

I hate this idea. In my opinion, it makes absolutely no sense, and I sincerely hope we never even consider it.

Oh, loosen up, Francis.
Name calling? An excellent, well thought retort. I guess we know which of us watched Jersey Shore, and may just be a closeted Rutgers fan, too. Hint: It’s still not me.

I still got a Rutgers reference in, orange79. He doesn’t get it and he won’t apologize and I know he’ll never understand why this upsets me so much. So, I’ll stop now.

We now return you to your regularly scheduled program of the disassembly and mockery of all things Rutgers:cool:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jc824

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom