Class of 2016 - S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI | Page 7 | Syracusefan.com

Class of 2016 S Devon Clarke (FL) SIGNED LOI

rrlbees said:
Then don't offer #5. You tell him that you like him but you have others you like more. If the opportunity presents itself you'll get back to him and discuss an offer.

In a perfect world id love to agree with you bees but the truth is you don't offer #5 and you strike out on 1-4 you have put yourself out of the running for #5 cause he feels slighted by you not even offering when so many others have... just how it works.

How many colleges did you apply to? How many jobs did you apply to when you graduated? Just how the world works.

We better get burrell because its not like Clarke is some mediocre small safety

Why are we even having this discussion? Because Syracuse fans don't like the way the game is played, is that it? We feel that kvetching about it will make a difference because we are more special than 130+ other schools recruiting and turning down commitments from kids?

I would be willing to bet this conversation isn't being had on 98% of other P5 boards.

CuseOnly said:
Why are we even having this discussion? Because Syracuse fans don't like the way the game is played, is that it? We feel that kvetching about it will make a difference because we are more special than 130+ other schools recruiting and turning down commitments from kids? I would be willing to bet this conversation isn't being had on 98% of other P5 boards.

I bet your wrong. Give someone the same scenarios and I bet there is forum discussion.

I've been on so many sides of this situation, and I don't think it's easy to be on any of them.

As a player, I committed to school X before a serious shoulder injury in the middle of my SR. season. After the injury I could not even get a phone call returned from the Staff I had talked to so many times. This method has been in place for a long time.

As a HS Coach, you know your recruiters. The ones I dealt with were for the most part honest, which you would expect. You knew where the kid was on their priority list. I didn't always tell the player, and you'd hope it would shake out for the best. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. If it didn't, you talk to the player and reassess options.

On the collegiate side of it, it's a pretty standard approach. I'm not going to say guys feel good about it, but, it's the reality. It's very similar to sales, file your pipeline with much more than you can handle. If things go well, you can be selective at the end.

I know I'm not really telling anybody anything new, just that I've seen this forever.

CuseOnly said:
Why are we even having this discussion? Because Syracuse fans don't like the way the game is played, is that it? We feel that kvetching about it will make a difference because we are more special than 130+ other schools recruiting and turning down commitments from kids? I would be willing to bet this conversation isn't being had on 98% of other P5 boards.

It should be. Any way to make things clearer for kids or the schools should be discussed.

I hate this for Devon. I want all these kids to succeed. So as a recruiter here is my analogy from the real world...

Most of the time when I recruited and had a client who had a position to be filled they would want to see multiple candidates for a single opening. I would do my due diligence and provide them with multiple candidates. Normally those candidates would not all have the same strengths and weaknesses. Usually there was one that had more of the strengths/qualities that the client was looking for and was more likely to be hired. Now would I tell the others that were going to be interviewed that they were probably not going to be hired. Of course not because you never know what might happen. My perfect candidate might take another job or decide he didn't feel it was the right fit for him. So then the client maybe picks from one of the other candidates or I need to send more to be interviewed. Are the candidates who weren't hired going to be disappointed.. of course. Who likes rejection?

Well, I mean, I think we got our answer today. We didn't accept his commitment. Burrell is the target, I have to assume today proves we're going all in on him.

I mean, not entirely. This situation closely mirrors what's happening with Tucker on the hoops side, IMO. In other words, Clarke / Tucker are normally recruits that we'd be happy to have. But in Tucker's case, we're chasing a much bigger fish [Porter]. In Clarke's case, it is Burrell.

We are no lock to land either Porter or Burrell, but we are at risk of losing Tucker / Clarke by holding out for them.

It's like a game of high stakes poker--will be really interesting to see how it unfolds.

[and BTW, I'm not criticizing our football staff for holding out for Burrell. Safety is a HUGE position of need for this class]

Last edited:
I've been on so many sides of this situation, and I don't think it's easy to be on any of them.

As a player, I committed to school X before a serious shoulder injury in the middle of my SR. season. After the injury I could not even get a phone call returned from the Staff I had talked to so many times. This method has been in place for a long time.

As a HS Coach, you know your recruiters. The ones I dealt with were for the most part honest, which you would expect. You knew where the kid was on their priority list. I didn't always tell the player, and you'd hope it would shake out for the best. Sometimes it did, sometimes it didn't. If it didn't, you talk to the player and reassess options.

On the collegiate side of it, it's a pretty standard approach. I'm not going to say guys feel good about it, but, it's the reality. It's very similar to sales, file your pipeline with much more than you can handle. If things go well, you can be selective at the end.

I know I'm not really telling anybody anything new, just that I've seen this forever.

Thanks for this perspective.

when you are giving a kid a quarter of a million dollars there going to be games played on both sides. People's careers and families are effected by who you bring in and how many games you win with them. No coaching staff in the country is perfect at recruiting. There's a million kids out there sitting in their chair right now hating on a particular school because they were left out.

What's the deal with the big orange. Honestly I have to take the coaches side on this one. Say you get offered a job and you take a few days to think about it. When you decide you're first call is to the boss not going okay I'm in on social media. This kid had never visited and had spoken to a coach in weeks but yet he assumed he had a spot being held. Everyone here knows what assume stands for.

First Oregon State, now us. Does this kid have a high school coach? Dock that guy a day's pay for napping on the job.

Give the governor a harumph ...

First Oregon State, now us. Does this kid have a high school coach? Dock that guy a day's pay for napping on the job.

Starting to wonder if his Oregon St. commitment was legit.

"Like them to visit first" is all well and good and logical. I did kinda do an awkward collar tug when I read it though, considering we just took a commitment on Monday from a kid who has never visited.

It's all good if it softens the blow for the kid. A little white lie isn't a bad thing sometimes.

It's all good if it softens the blow for the kid. A little white lie isn't a bad thing sometimes.
I agree completely. I'm just saying, it's easier to maintain the white lie if it couldn't be contradicted by something that happened 36 hours prior.

"Like them to visit first" is all well and good and logical. I did kinda do an awkward collar tug when I read it though, considering we just took a commitment on Monday from a kid who has never visited.
they can flip it and say he gets that treatment because he already decommited once. The line is total BS, though. Fact of the matter is the kid made a mistake.

I agree completely. I'm just saying, it's easier to maintain the white lie if it couldn't be contradicted by something that happened 36 hours prior.

Well you know and I know but Devon may not know who has or hasn't visited.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cuse702

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom