Sad news coming boards way... | Page 4 | Syracusefan.com

Sad news coming boards way...

I lost my nephew last June to a brain tumor he suffered with for 7 years, saying goodbye in hospice was the hardest thing I've ever done in my life. He was 39 when he died. Other than Orangeyes you wouldn't find a bigger SU fan.

RIP T. Wallace

Pearl, I'm so sorry you are on the same journey, God bless you and thank you for all of the joy you've given to us through basketball. :(:(:(
Well said about Pearl, and very sorry to hear about both Pearl and your nephew.

honestly, I hope we never change those shirts. Wear them always for Pearl.
Fully agreed. I hope those shirts can be made into our new . Wear them for every single game. Wear them so every kid that puts on an SU jersey knows exactly who Pearl was, how great of a man he was and how important to SU and college basketball he was. In due time, I hope there will also be a Pearl statue at SU. Other than JB, nobody deserve it more n

I'm so crushed to hear this. Pearl was just before my time, but as a kid, I always knew his legend. I'll never forget seeing the video of his half court shot against BC and practicing it in my yard, including the sprint to the locker room.

I'm sure some of you have fantastic stories about him and I know I'd love to hear every single one. I hope his final days are filled with joy and love and peace. What a good man being taken way too early.

I just read Donna Diota's statement that Pearl has approximately a month left to live, and the rest of the posts. And it is sad to lose someone so important to us as basketball fans, and fans of a fine human being, relatively young in life. I hope Pearl is not physically suffering, and is aware of how much the SU community cherishes him, as well as many who did not attend the university or grow up or live in the area.

What a gift he was to basketball and our community. It makes me even prouder of the run for both squads this year that hopefully provided Pearl some enjoyment in his final days. It was an amazing ride. From street ball, crossing cats over, half court shots for the win and running straight out, dropping dimes and not backing down from anyone, including Patrick Ewing. God Speed Pearl. You have welcome company above.

There needs to be a permanent tribute to him on campus somehow. He needs a section of the Melo center where his jersey is kept, a non stop highlight reel or something.

And JAB needs to lead a effort to Pearl into the College Basketball Hall Of Fame.

Pearl Washington is HOF'er!!!!!

Georgetown Class of 1978 here.

The sad news hit our HoyaTalk board early this morning. As I have written here previously, the fact that GU and SU were (and to many of us old-timers, still are) bitter rivals is immaterial at times such as these. Pearl Washington was a superior player, a worthy adversary, and a key reason why such antipathy developed between our schools. A great player, and an excellent person.

On behalf of the Hoya community, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with Pearl and his family.

Georgetown Class of 1978 here.

The sad news hit our HoyaTalk board early this morning. As I have written here previously, the fact that GU and SU were (and to many of us old-timers, still are) bitter rivals is immaterial at times such as these. Pearl Washington was a superior player, a worthy adversary, and a key reason why such antipathy developed between our schools. A great player, and an excellent person.

On behalf of the Hoya community, our thoughts and prayers continue to be with Pearl and his family.
Awesome post to like ratio. Especially for a Hoya.:) It's truly amazing how you learn to appreciate your hated opponents later in life. Although I am not sure Michael Graham will ever fit into that category. Thanks for the support. Pearl was a very special player for Syracuse and the Big East in the "glory days". It was definitely a lot different when players stayed for three or four years and you really got to see them develop up close. We had a lot of great players in the 80's (DC, Sherm, Billy Owens, Rafael Addison, Stevie Thompson) but there was only one Pearl. He came along at a huge time for the Syracuse program, the BE, ESPN and college basketball.

There needs to be a permanent tribute to him on campus somehow. He needs a section of the Melo center where his jersey is kept, a non stop highlight reel or something.

And JAB needs to lead a effort to Pearl into the College Basketball Hall Of Fame.

Pearl is still talked about as the NYC playground legend. He was transcendent on so many levels.

Watch Pearl's highlights. He makes people look foolish...and he does it without even coming close to palming the ball.

Everyone who has tried to emulate him since cannot pull off his change of direction without palming the ball...even though it's never called today.

He was the best ball handler I've ever seen in the open court. I don't know who I'd put second. No one is close.

He needs a statue in front of the Melo Center IMO.

Watch Pearl's highlights. He makes people look foolish...and he does it without even coming close to palming the ball.

Everyone who has tried to emulate him since cannot pull off his change of direction without palming the ball...even though it's never called today.

He was the best ball handler I've ever seen in the open court. I don't know who I'd put second. No one is close.
Also the best off hand dribble I've ever seen.

I have a bunch of tapes of games from that era, and my dad and I watch them periodically. The BET game against Georgetown in '86 was the best example of what you're talking about. Georgetown basically decided that they were going to sell out and press him 5 on 1 to force the ball out of his hands. Pearl shredded the press all game long, and the ball was like a yo yo in his hands.

Imagine two guys riding his hip with a third guy running at him to cut him off by forcing him toward the sideline. Crossover, around the back, between the legs -- bam, he's by all three, doing it all at a full run, by the way.

Incredible.

I have a bunch of tapes of games from that era, and my dad and I watch them periodically. The BET game against Georgetown in '86 was the best example of what you're talking about. Georgetown basically decided that they were going to sell out and press him 5 on 1 to force the ball out of his hands. Pearl shredded the press all game long, and the ball was like a yo yo in his hands.

Imagine two guys riding his hip with a third guy running at him to cut him off by forcing him toward the sideline. Crossover, around the back, between the legs -- bam, he's by all three, doing it all at a full run, by the way.

Incredible.
I'm sure this Youtube of Pearl's highlights have been posted before but it was amazing how effortless he was. A combination of strength, speed and poise. A true Pearl.

Can honestly say that Pearl was a big reason why I went to Cuse. Grew up in Boston, but I LOVED Cuse bball because of Pearl. Used to try to pretend I was him when I played pickup ball as a teen. When it came time to making a college choice...Cuse automatically went to the top of the list.

I guess I always thought Pearl would pull through. Even knowing how grave his situation was...I blindly thought he'd magically come out OK.

G-d works in mysterious ways. But I don't think I'll ever understand taking Pearl from us at such a young age. We're all thinking of you, Pearl. Thanks for making Cuse basketball special. Keep on fighting till the very end.

image.jpeg

MJ and Pearl dueling in the dome

One of the truly good guys in cbb. I was a couple of years ahead of Pearl at SU, and all you ever heard about his recruitment was "the Pearl is coming to the Hill". This was in the days before Al Gore created the internet, with no twitter, instagram, facebook, and in the early years of ESPN. Regardless, we knew he was literally putting SU on the national map with his commitment.
Being a life-long Knicks fan I was kinda resentful that ANYONE would dare use the nickname of "Pearl"- the only "real" Pearl being, Earl "The Pearl" Monroe! But once I saw him on the court that freshman year, I knew. This kid was well worthy of the moniker, and he wore it well!
He was a quiet humble guy as a student as well, no ego, you barely knew he was around. Every once in a while you'd see him on the quad and give him a "what's up, Pearl"? He'd respond with a nod and a smile...and that's it. And kids??? Kids followed Pearl like the Pied Piper, with #31 jerseys everywhere you looked. My nephew screamed like a little girl when I came home with a Pearl jersey for XMas- a reaction he hasn't lived down to this day!:D
On a personal note, when my father passed away at a young age, I was overwhelmed by all the well-wishers who kept telling me what a great guy he was, and all the stories they shared with me. I told this to my uncle and his response was: "That's the true sign of what kind of man he was. No one will ever have a bad word to say about your Dad". I always remembered that comment- and made it a point that hopefully when I passed, no one would have a bad word to say about me.
Pearl...is the same way. You won't find anyone who'll say a bad word about Dwayne "Pearl" Washington. God Bless You, #31.

Last edited:
CuseOnly said:
He needs a statue in front of the Melo Center IMO.
If the express gets one, how can the Pearl not?

Yes! He was a trascendent player. Electrifying. Hall of fame is right.

Well said. And he did all this while not being physically dominant or speedy. He'd make guys miss and walk in for a layup (who does that?) or a sweet fall away off the backboard.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseGuy44

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom