Sad news. | Syracusefan.com

Sad news.

Flacusian

All Conference
I spend a lot of time checking out this board and although I have never met anyone personally who posts here I still feel a special kinship with all of you and some of you with whom I have PM'ed over the years. Last Wednesday afternoon as I was leaving my office to come home my wife called me and told me that my son JJ who was living in Connecticut was found dead on Wednesday morning. JJ had a lifelong struggle with bi-polar disorder and as such had encountered many difficulties along the path of life. We had planned for him to move down here to Ocala and he was going to go to work at my family business in which my wife Beth and my oldest son Justin both work with me. I returned home to Ocala today from Branford, Ct. which is my hometown. The outpouring of hundreds of his friends and family who attended the service yesterday was comforting to myself and JJ's other 4 siblings who were also there but nothing can prepare you for the loss of your child. Mental health issues and substance abuse are still poorly understood by many and in spite of the difficulties which JJ had his caring spirit and fun loving nature were the one thing that all who comforted me were quick to point out. I know for myself that having had a child who had challenging obstacles has made me a more compassionate and understanding person. It was JJ's birth which moved me to made a conscious decision to face my problems with drugs and alcohol and I've been fortunate and blessed to have 26 years of continuous sobriety. He will be missed incredibly by his family and all his friends.

I spend a lot of time checking out this board and although I have never met anyone personally who posts here I still feel a special kinship with all of you and some of you with whom I have PM'ed over the years. Last Wednesday afternoon as I was leaving my office to come home my wife called me and told me that my son JJ who was living in Connecticut was found dead on Wednesday morning. JJ had a lifelong struggle with bi-polar disorder and as such had encountered many difficulties along the path of life. We had planned for him to move down here to Ocala and he was going to go to work at my family business in which my wife Beth and my oldest son Justin both work with me. I returned home to Ocala today from Branford, Ct. which is my hometown. The outpouring of hundreds of his friends and family who attended the service yesterday was comforting to myself and JJ's other 4 siblings who were also there but nothing can prepare you for the loss of your child. Mental health issues and substance abuse are still poorly understood by many and in spite of the difficulties which JJ had his caring spirit and fun loving nature were the one thing that all who comforted me were quick to point out. I know for myself that having had a child who had challenging obstacles has made me a more compassionate and understanding person. It was JJ's birth which moved me to made a conscious decision to face my problems with drugs and alcohol and I've been fortunate and blessed to have 26 years of continuous sobriety. He will be missed incredibly by his family and all his friends.
Hi-Polar disorder is so misunderstood and so difficult to be treated. My wife worked,in a continuing day treatment program with many sufferers. To this day I believe my best friend was undiagnosed, but self medicated until his death via a,car accident.
I empathize with your loss. When,your family has grieved together, please seek out support groups so that you know, as survivors who have been robbed by the disease, you are not alone.
My condolences, as meaningless as they may be, are extended to you, your family, and your son.

I am very, very sorry for your loss. God Bless.

Deepest condolences my friend. You're absolutely right in that mental health illnesses are poorly understood by many. It is extremely tragic what many families go through and I am sure it has affected your family tremendously through the years. Please take time to grieve with your family. I am sure you will find some solace and escape on here, but please make sure your wife and children have outlets, and support groups as mentioned and general support to help through these terrible times. As we are giving you hugs, please hug your family as well. Whatever support you need, please let us know.

Very sorry to hear about your tragic loss. I second what Tuttle said. I've had to learn lot about bi-polar disorder recently. I wish people were more educated about it. I wasn't at all, like most people.

I wish you and your family the best.

Last edited:

I'm so sorry to hear this Flacusian, I could never imagine what you're going through but hope you and your family are able to hold up strong. I only wish you and your family the best.

I am so sorry to hear about your loss. What is so clear about your post is that JJ was deeply loved by you and your family, and that his life was blessed by your love. I hope you find comfort in that knowledge.

It has been a long time since I have posted although I am a daily visitor, and like you, I have not met my fellow posters but feel like I know a lot of them. These forums somehow always feel like home...even when there are, shall we say, disagreements among the family.

Anyway, I felt compelled to log in and express my deepest sympathies upon reading your plight. In my life I have feared both getting "that call", and for a time, being the reason for that call. But I want to point out something you said in your post; you said your son's birth forced you to face your demons and as such, you have remained clean and sober since his birth. I think that is quite a legacy your son has given you. He gave you your life back and everyday you choose to remain clean, you honor his memory. I hope in time, this gives you some modicum of comfort...but for now, you have invisible arms embracing you from afar as we are all your family in this time and in happier times to come as well.

Most sincerely,
David

Very sorry for your loss. Please accept my sincere condolences.

I'm so very sorry to read this, Flacusian. I have witnessed similar tragedies with my own family and friends, and my heart goes out to you. Stay strong, sir. You and your family are in my thoughts and prayers.

I am so saddened to read this, but glad that you wanted to share the story with your syracusefan.com family. Time and time again, I have seen posters here come to the aid of others who were in need.

Cuseguy, who's a really good guy, lives in Branford. Were you able to make contact with him. I am sure he would have wanted to be of assistance to you during this difficult period.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vegasnick

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom