Saint Dougie... | Page 5 | Syracusefan.com

Saint Dougie...

Couple things here...Dougie misplayed his hand (there are only 32 HC jobs in the league and I doubt he walks away from one without thinking he has another HC gig even if he received 4m on his way out the door). He is a quitter.

If you think Buffalo is amateur hour than what do you think Jacksonville is? That is probably the only organization ran worse than the Bills consistently (Browns too).

He should like it down there as he is not really a people person and Jacksonville has no fans or support.
Dougie walked away from the Bills with $4M in his pocket. There are only 32 HC jobs in the NFL and he has one. I wish I was so stupid.

The Bills organization is amateur hour and Doug couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

He has a skill for landing at jobs where the organization is amateur hour.

I'm guessing his years back at OL coach building his credibility back up will make him take a softer approach this time.

I'm guessing his years back at OL coach building his credibility back up will make him take a softer approach this time.

maybe Coughlin will mentor him in that regard. TC was a complete harda** until the Giants players got him to back off in that first Super Bowl season, and he was a changed man after that. For Doug's sake and the players sake, I hope that is the case

Maybe...but has been pointed out, there are only 32 of these positions and no shortage of coaches who want them. He is in an elite group.

Omg stop whining about his taking Hack with him. Babers brings EVERYBODY with him EVERYWHERE he goes. It's not that uncommon. Hack had 1 good year. Jeez. People act like Doug took the statue of Ernie with him or something.

He left the Bills thinking he had the Jets job AND KNOWING he had $4M coming to him from the Bills either way. 2 years later he was offered another HC job in the NFL. It worked out well for him. His predecessor was canned for performance reasons. Doug was not canned...he left on his own terms and now has a decent re-building gig at the moment.

The Bills organization is amateur hour and Doug couldn't wait to get the hell out of there.

Bills organization is amateur hour compared to who? The Jets... The Jags??? LOL!

Are these the places that his notebook told him were the bastions of pro football? Hahaha... good take dude!

Marrone used (conned) Syracuse University and the Buffalo Bills to serve himself. I wish him nothing but the worst (professionally) and look forward to seeing the Marrone Fan Club dwindle on this thread as he punts the Jags season away one game at a time.

Bills organization is amateur hour compared to who? The Jets... The Jags??? LOL!

Are these the places that his notebook told him were the bastions of pro football? Hahaha... good take dude!

Marrone used (conned) Syracuse University and the Buffalo Bills to serve himself. I wish him nothing but the worst (professionally) and look forward to seeing the Marrone Fan Club dwindle on this thread as he punts the Jags season away one game at a time.
Wow, I don't even bring that kind of heat to my Marrone H0T Takes.

Wow, I don't even bring that kind of heat to my Marrone H0T Takes.
tenor.gif

He may be a jerk, but the Bills and Cuse both had their best season in 10-15 years under Marrone. I raise my bologna sandwich to him for that.

Omg stop whining about his taking Hack with him. Babers brings EVERYBODY with him EVERYWHERE he goes. It's not that uncommon. Hack had 1 good year. Jeez. People act like Doug took the statue of Ernie with him or something.

I literally struggle to understand why people are still upset about his leaving. I could easily make the argument that he would have been absolutely insane to stay given the opportunity in front of him.

So his dream job was Syracuse -- who's to say that can't change when you realize what a monumentally difficult endeavor this job is. It's not unusual.

So he took his staff with him -- as you mention everyone does this.

Really the only complaint that makes any sense is that he's not a great guy. Of course that basically puts him in a group with all of the good football coaches ever. So even that is absurd.

At the end of the day this argument makes us look pathetic. He left? Get a new coach and get better. I mean, are we even convinced he was a great coach? It's bizarre.

The level of delusion here is hilarious, but no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills...

As a Pats fan I've been laughing at the Bills' ineptitude my whole life. Doug was too good a coach for that job.

I literally struggle to understand why people are still upset about his leaving. I could easily make the argument that he would have been absolutely insane to stay given the opportunity in front of him.

So his dream job was Syracuse -- who's to say that can't change when you realize what a monumentally difficult endeavor this job is. It's not unusual.

So he took his staff with him -- as you mention everyone does this.

Really the only complaint that makes any sense is that he's not a great guy. Of course that basically puts him in a group with all of the good football coaches ever. So even that is absurd.

At the end of the day this argument makes us look pathetic. He left? Get a new coach and get better. I mean, are we even convinced he was a great coach? It's bizarre.
Yup. The same people who say he was a bad coach are angry that he left. Hmm.

I just don't understand the jilted lover thing people have with Marrone. He came to SU, did a very good job and left for the NFL...so did Coach Mac. College football didn't seem to be his thing and he realized it and went into the NFL and landed a job. I'm happy for the guy that he can be able to do that and as things work out SU now has Babers who I believe will do a wonderful job on the Hill. IMO, this has worked out for Marrone and SU for the better.

The level of delusion here is hilarious, but no one circles the wagons like the Buffalo Bills...

As a Pats fan I've been laughing at the Bills' ineptitude my whole life. Doug was too good a coach for that job.
I think the Pats secondary just got burned again as you wrote this post.

Just wait until Brady can't lace them up anymore. He can't save your franchise forever. The level of entitlement is hilarious.

Marrone is a very coach, I wish he never left Syracuse or Buffalo, that said he's made his bed. He's in a good spot now for sure. The thought of him coaching an NFL team in a major market is laughable. He could not take it and I think he knows his limitations at this point.

That said, the Bills are in a fantastic spot moving forward. New coach with a good GM who are on same page. Future looking very good. Pats? Have to admit they aren't trending in right direction. Worse D in the league, Coach and QB probably coming close to the end of their tenure. It's only a matter of time and again I am not taking anything away from the Pats, their success has been insane and they IMO have the best QB and HC of all time, not much debate there but it won't last forever. There will be 50% less Pats fans in 5 years than there is now

McDermott and Beane have the it quality and aren't afraid to make tough decisions I am certainly not saying Bills are back and nothing shocks me but they are finally trending in right direction. 4 weeks ago everybody declared them a tank job and the Pats a lock for 14-2 or 15-1. Big game for Pats--- Thursday

Last edited:
I think the Pats secondary just got burned again as you wrote this post.

Just wait until Brady can't lace them up anymore. He can't save your franchise forever. The level of entitlement is hilarious.

Someday soon it will be fun to bump this. Everything is cyclical. Some cycles just take longer. (ok, the Browns will probably never win again).

I remember when I thought the Yankees would never win a World Series. Then I remember when I thought they'd never lose one. Then I wondered when they'd win them consistently again. Now I'm feeling pretty good again (perhaps not this year, but the future started quicker than I thought it would).

Where does everyone think our program would be today if Marrone had stayed on?

Where does everyone think our program would be today if Marrone had stayed on?

Consistent bowl games with some really good seasons when we have strong seniors occasional down years when we have younger teams. Some really big wins as Doug seemed to be able to have some great game plans versus better teams. 6-9 win seasons with an occasional off year. He had a solid staff and recruiting was starting to come together and he didn't have indoor facility. We would be far better off had he stayed no disputing that.

A consistent winner with the chance of beating better teams on most days. No slouch by any means

Last edited:

The only thing delusional is saying Doug Marrone is too good for any job. Except for maybe "In-game Punting Coordinator." He was a .500 coach in college and he is .500 coach in the pros. He has accomplished NOTHING of significance.

I was laughing my arse off at the Patriots every Sunday well before you were out of your diapers. Its funny... All Pats fans think football started in 2001. I never heard of a Patriots fan before the mid 2000's - but hey, everybody loves a winn-- orr uh cheater! Bills are 3-1 and leading the AFC East without Doug Marrone so I'm glad he's a con-artist quitter. We're better off without him.

And Syracuse Football will be eventually as well.

I just don't understand the jilted lover thing people have with Marrone. He came to SU, did a very good job and left for the NFL...so did Coach Mac. College football didn't seem to be his thing and he realized it and went into the NFL and landed a job. I'm happy for the guy that he can be able to do that and as things work out SU now has Babers who I believe will do a wonderful job on the Hill. IMO, this has worked out for Marrone and SU for the better.
As for this one poster, personal one on one experience is most of the reason (wont bore the board with the whole thing, knew me as a fellow football guy through shared football connections, but when found out I was also Internet message board guy wasn't so pleasant), said he wasn't taking guys then does (have no problem if he was upfront about it), said he wouldn't but then did calling Hackett last minute when he was literally about to sign back with Cuse, nah he's a douche, can never respect let alone like the guy, that said so be it as he's obviously a good coach and a successful douche as so many are. The whole dream job thing is just the icing on the cake as what you say in this post on it is my take on this part too.

Last edited:

You are obviously in your 20's then because the Pats were the laughingstock of the NFL in late 8os and most of the 90's. Half empty stadiums were the norm. And then they became good, the faux Pats fans came out of the woods.

Haha Dougie is to good to coach the Bills but not too good for the Jags? Like I said only 32 HC gigs in the league and somebody overplayed their hand.

Marrone is a good (not great) coach. He is a bit too conservative for my taste as I was tired of watching him punt from the opponents 40 yard line on 4th and short. Everything points to him being a real turd as a human being. I think his ceiling at Syracuse was 6-8 wins most years with a trip to Pinstripe or some other marginal bowl. IMO, Babers has a higher ceiling in a much tougher conference.

I just want to know with all you "Dream Job" hacklers of Marrone, what do you say to your friends or family who have left a spouse or long term significant other?

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
CuseEagle8

Online statistics

Members online
Guests online
Total visitors

Top Bottom